Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: What length??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 08:15 PM   #1

Default What length??

I am going to start building a Clod as soon as I can snag a set of axles... I have made up my mind that I am going to go with a "Pimp Cane". There a inexpensive chassis and look to be one of the best comp chassis's out there right. Plus run2jeepn lives fairly close and it will be nice to support a somewhat local.

My question is....

What would be a all around best length to go with? I plan on doing some comps and some general bashing around with it.

What do you guys suggest?
msand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #2

I have my mind made up about the chassis.

My question is what length would be a good starter for me.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by msand
I have my mind made up about the chassis.

My question is what length would be a good starter for me.
What sized rocks do you have and what kind of budget for the build?
2.2 are more fun on smaller rocks and in smaller areas... they are also cheaper to build.

So, want to spend a bunch on a super sized rig and have a big area or big rocks? get a 17" or 18"

Want to spend less money and/or have a smaller area to play in? 12.5" flipped rear axle would be the hot setup.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:19 AM   #4

Gotta go with a Super. I tried a 2.2 at one time and it just wasn't my thing. Maybe one day...

In Missouri there is a little of everything to run on.. big rocks... little rocks... comps...
Old 03-04-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
'08 2.2 National Champ

Length should depend on what size tires you are using. If you are using taller tires like a 40 series then a longer wheelbase would be good. If you are using shorter max size tires then a shorter wheelbase would be good.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I would go for the 17 inch super pimpcane if your going to run 40's. Don't listen to what M715ForLife says about not getting a pimpcane. Because he has been trying to make his own pimpcane for a while, and never bought a pimpcane, like some of us and me have. Its over all an awesome chassis
Brandon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:47 AM   #7

I plan to run narrowed 40 series Moab's.

Thanks for the help guys. I am really new to this whole crawling thing but not new to RC. I hope to be able to get started on something soon.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:49 AM   #8

Maybe R2J will chime in with his thoughts about a length.. I know he is farther south and they have more rock than we do up here but it is close to the same.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:04 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by M715ForLife
Meh, I would NOT go with the pimp cane. Because, this is a reply I receved from TC.
Nothing agaist TC what so ever. But The 2.2 Pimp Cane has came long way from what JB had. It may not seem like much. But the Flipped rear axle, Drilled frame and AirSoft BB's instead of foam make it one of the best 2.2 crawler set ups. My set up (the same chassis I sell) flex's just fine. I wouldn't want anymore.

Here is a pic of mine maxed out. You can see the rear tire is off the ground just a little. Thats a Moab XL.

Here is a broken in chassis that JB built and Dezfan bought off someone used. Far as I know JB built it.

And here is Dezfans newest set up.

As you can see the Pimp Cane has changed and improved. Now I know the Pimp Cane is cheaper then any other chassis out there. But I hand make it. I don't have CNC machines or Lazer cutters to make them. So I don't have a high overhead in that department. I would like to think guys just don't choose my Chassis b/c it is cheap. I think the also choose it b/c it is proven, and you can choose your wheelbase. With the right set up and some driving time under your belt. It wins Hands down. Also just b/c the chassis isn't over 200 bucks doesn't mean it doesn't work and you shouldn't use it. Look at Benders SW2 Super. It's under $100 and it placed in the Top 10 at the nats along with 2 Pimp Canes in 6th and 7th place. If I remeber right Highmark had some Elect. issues also.

It all comes down to what you like and what you want. I'm by no means saying TCS stick is bad. I love that chassis. I don't have one and never even driving one. But I have seen both chassis beat each other. So when it comes down to just those two chassis's. IT'S 100% DRIVER. Also I don't think TCS makes a 2.2 Stick Chassis yet.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 03-04-2007 at 09:06 AM.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:13 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I plan to run narrowed 40 series Moab's.

Thanks for the help guys. I am really new to this whole crawling thing but not new to RC. I hope to be able to get started on something soon.
As for a Wheelbase for a Super running Moabs. If they are not the XL's I'd say 16.5in to 17.5in. If you have XL's. 17in to 18in. I'm trying out a 18.5in wheelbase on my Super.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #11

Didn't mean to make this a battle of the chassis. Thats why I listed what I wanted and that my mind is made up.

Still unsure about length though.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn
As for a Wheelbase for a Super running Moabs. If they are not the XL's I'd say 16.5in to 17.5in. If you have XL's. 17in to 18in. I'm trying out a 18.5in wheelbase on my Super.

I like the XL's alot. What is the length limit in Comps?? Is there one?
Old 03-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I like the XL's alot. What is the length limit in Comps?? Is there one?
Not for supers.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #14

So a 17 1/2" Super with Moab XL's... Sounds good to me. Now I need to know what wheels would be the best to run?? The under the knuckle batteries look to be the best and I remember seeing fitment issues with some wheels??
Old 03-04-2007, 09:32 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

For Moab XL's. XTM Thorns are by far the best.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn
For Moab XL's. XTM Thorns are by far the best.
Do you run any foam in them?? I know you run like 3/4lb of BB's in each one right?
Old 03-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

If i were you i would go a droop suspension tuber with a 17.5 inch wheelbase
I run both a tuber and a pimp cane and they both have there strong points.
If you are going to run xl's i would go atleast 17.5 inches in wheelbase.
If you could run xl's,cvd's,twin esc,s,and 1/4 scale servos i think i would look into 18inches or mabe a little more.
In my opinion with the ground clearence of the pimp cane,and the increased turning radius that you acheive with the cvd's,1/4 scale servos,and a stick radio with twin esc's you can run a longer wheel base than you could with other setups and it do nothing to harm performance.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #18

I did buy a cheap stick radio yesterday so technically my build is under way.... although I still have no axles!! LOL

I picked up a JR Quattro 4 channel radio and 6 channel RX for $30 and it looks like new. I figured that would be a good starting Radio for me.

I have been thinking about 1/4 scale servo's and dual ESC's. the Tower Pro 1/4 scale servo's look to be decent and also the moped ESC's are like $35 bucks each so that would be inexpensive.

Gotta go with a Pimp for my first build. Maybe a tuber in the future but right now isn't the time.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:02 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by M715ForLife
Are you saying I DONT know anything? Well, I know that I have a VERY limited budget, and I dont beleve in buying things that of witch I can build. And I didnt say that, TC did! What the hell was your problem?
Yes you did, Because on the top of the quote you posted you said Meh, I wouldn't go with a pimpcane, Just because of what someone else said
Old 03-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Ok, but that doesn't mean for you to say bad things about a comp winning chassis that you never owned. Also by not taking this to pms we are ruining this guys thread. So I say sorry for this to him.