Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Drivetrain Protection- Slippers/Sacrificial Parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Drivetrain Protection- Slippers/Sacrificial Parts

Hello. For the Clod owners out there, I was wondering if any of you managed to use slippers somehow, or things like sacrificial gears, pinions, or setscrews that are made to be weaker than the other parts so they are the first thing to break if something happens, saving the other parts.

I was considering getting some Clod wheel hex hubs made out of plastic or something since at the wheel is where the highest torque is and the spline on the hex should strip fairly smoothly in the event of too much stress. But I don't know any of the spline dimensions (or other little features like that ring that runs along the axle hole). Might as well also make it 14mm too rather than use an adapter if I do go that route.

Actually, does anyone know why RC4WD makes a hex adapter rather than a straight out 14mm hex?
DKNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I would say that the stock clod hex should strip out before you break the axle. the hex is made out of brass which is pretty soft compared to the steel axle. I havent had any problem with the gears or anything else so far. I havent heard of a slipper for the clod either. i dont think it would work that good, beings you need all the torque you can get to the wheels.
TwistedMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Really? Maybe I have gotten the wrong impression and people strip out the hex hub far more often than they break an axle. Maybe it's never talked about when the hex hub strips? Then again...I wonder if an aluminum gear breaks before the hex hub strips...
DKNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I dont know for a fact, but im sure that the hex would strip before an aluminum gear. The aluminum gear is quite a bit stronger than the stocker plastic ones. Then again, i bet you would break an axle before you strip an aluminum gear. purely speculation though.
TwistedMetal is offline   Reply With Quote