Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Tire Weight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tire Weight?

Hello, quick ?, and I've searched.
What weight are you all running in your tires on your pimp/tortion style Clod? 17"ish.
Like how much total weight in wheel and tire, [just on wheel/tire] or how much are you adding to your wheel/tire combos?
I think I've got too much in mine, seems heavy, but I'd like to hear other people's opinions.
Thanx for all of your time.
tyerfryersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

What tire/wheels are you running? serious comps or bashing?
damion289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I am curently running a 18 inch wheelbase pimp cane with moab xl's and xtm thorns.I have 7 sub-c cells on the front and 3 ounces of extra weight on the front knuckles to keep it settled on steep climbs.And i added a 5 cell sub-c reciver pack to the rear knuckles and enough weight to make the rear weight even with the front.
The torision design seems to like the weight even on all 4 corners.If i go somewhere that does not have alot of long steap climbs i remove the lead from the front and enough from the rear to even everything up.
All my weight is on the knuckles and none in the wheels and tires.I personally do not like adding weight to the wheels and tires due to the rotational mass that it adds.
As my rig sits now i have a total weight of 9 pounds.
I hope something i said will help you out.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

O'K I gotta a question to add to all this. why is rotational mass so bad? Is it just because of slippage on sideways slops or is there more to it. I am going to be using 6 sub-c s on the front (3 at each knuckle) and have three stick on wheel weight sticks in each front rim ( I think they are 3 oz. per stick) I'm not sure what I will be useing in the rear, but I had planned on a little less wieght in batteries and about the same in the rim. If rotational mass is such a bad thing maybe I'll change my set up.I just thought that was the lowest place to add weight and improve CoG while helping the pimp chassis flex and not just flip over.
-BIGMAXX- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:50 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The biggest draw back to all of the weight in the tires is the wear on the drive train components.

Add a set of CVDs, good bearings, a spool, or all aluminum gear set and it will cut down on part failures.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:05 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

The weight in the tires in the form of BBs in any form isnt' really adding to the rotational mass of the wheel. Since if you do it "right" they will float around freely which means that anytime the rim/tire start to spin they will "move" and not stick to the wheel or tire. Therefor NOT being a part that moves they do not addd to to rotational mass. I think the same as you with putting the weight the same front and back. Not every rock is an uphill battle. There are plenty downhill which you'd want the rear to stay put also so you'd want the weight there. I tend to change to whatever the place looks like. I'm changing some this year so exact numbers I don't have just yet but mine is a tuber with 40 series moab xl with proline beadlocks narrowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser
I am curently running a 18 inch wheelbase pimp cane with moab xl's and xtm thorns.I have 7 sub-c cells on the front and 3 ounces of extra weight on the front knuckles to keep it settled on steep climbs.And i added a 5 cell sub-c reciver pack to the rear knuckles and enough weight to make the rear weight even with the front.
The torision design seems to like the weight even on all 4 corners.If i go somewhere that does not have alot of long steap climbs i remove the lead from the front and enough from the rear to even everything up.
All my weight is on the knuckles and none in the wheels and tires.I personally do not like adding weight to the wheels and tires due to the rotational mass that it adds.
As my rig sits now i have a total weight of 9 pounds.
I hope something i said will help you out.
damion289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by damion289 View Post
The weight in the tires in the form of BBs in any form isnt' really adding to the rotational mass of the wheel. Since if you do it "right" they will float around freely which means that anytime the rim/tire start to spin they will "move" and not stick to the wheel or tire. Therefor NOT being a part that moves they do not addd to to rotational mass. I think the same as you with putting the weight the same front and back. Not every rock is an uphill battle. There are plenty downhill which you'd want the rear to stay put also so you'd want the weight there. I tend to change to whatever the place looks like. I'm changing some this year so exact numbers I don't have just yet but mine is a tuber with 40 series moab xl with proline beadlocks narrowed.

BBs suck. As you start to climb something, gravity pulls them down towards the rear axle. The best setup is to get some wheel weights from a tire store and mount them around the rim and then run a zip tie around them all to keep them in place.
Pzl1nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BIGMAXX- View Post
O'K I gotta a question to add to all this. why is rotational mass so bad? Is it just because of slippage on sideways slops or is there more to it. I am going to be using 6 sub-c s on the front (3 at each knuckle) and have three stick on wheel weight sticks in each front rim ( I think they are 3 oz. per stick) I'm not sure what I will be useing in the rear, but I had planned on a little less wieght in batteries and about the same in the rim. If rotational mass is such a bad thing maybe I'll change my set up.I just thought that was the lowest place to add weight and improve CoG while helping the pimp chassis flex and not just flip over.

Just takes more energy to rotate. If you are not going to fast, who cares. The little weight you add should not make that much of a difference.
Pzl1nz is offline   Reply With Quote