Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: metal axles and knuckles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2007, 06:32 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default metal axles and knuckles.

ok, first up. done a few searches and didnt come up with much.
im trying to piece together (what i believe are) some of the finest Clod axle componets on the market. im aiming for bullet proof axles, and this is where my build begins. i already have the chassis, so the next step is axles.
anyway, what im looking for is some options on metal axle tubes and knuckles. i already have cases, gears and CVDs lined up, i just need the rest.
im not one that will buy solely because of reputation, which is the point of this post. i want to have choices, and i want to decide for myself which product i should buy.
so, what are all the options out there for metal axle tubes and knuckles?
any that are highly recommended or i should steer clear of?

i would also like to note that my build isnt about bling, its about being able to go where i want the truck to go without fear of retribution.
if its going to be done, it may as well be done properly.
davway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

RC4WD axle kits are basically worry proof. I sell them out all the time and have had NO complaints. The tubes are beefy and nice and the knucles are bompproof. They are a sweet set up with the ThunderTech CVD's. You will go where you want without fear. Only one break in the CVD's that I know of and around 3500 sets out on the market........hmmmmm. ( and I happen to know the guy...666)--he can break it if you need something broke-----so I hope this helps you and PM me if you need anything else!
FinishLineRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

well im planning on using the Integy alloy casings, RC4WD metal gears and the TTR CVDs, that just leaves the knuckes and the axle tubes.
im looking at BTA steering for the front so that itself narrows down the knuckles to RC4WD but surely there has to be something else out there?
i dont have anything against a particular company, i just want to make my own mind up as to what i believe i should have.
if you could post some links, that would be appreciated.
(ive looked at the Raptor too, awesome axle, but im still not completely sold on them).
Old 03-23-2007, 07:12 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Watch out for glitching from the metal gears. I have them and I transfer current through them so if your running metal rod ends...expect your whole rig to be electrified....it glitches. Im gonna go back to plastic gears and the aluminum locker.

Im still waiting on MY raptors so I dont have an opinion about them.

There isnt a better tube/knuckle....but your free to look.
FinishLineRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

thanks for the heads up. would never have thought about the effects of metal gears, current and glitching.
so i guess you never found a way to stop it then?
Old 03-23-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

rc4wd really is the only one. might i suggest dome rc4wd portals for you knucles, there the same as the regular ones except they give you a little more clearance and gear it down a little.

i realize you've already chosen the integy case but might i suggest the rc4wd twin motor clod gear boxes, then you could run some serious power while keeping your speed pretty fast. he might have some left over ones from when they still produced them.
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You might wanna try JPS axle tubes & knuckles. Much better quality than rc4wd. Also the knuckles turn on bearings. They cost more though.

This is the best pic I have of them.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

had a look at the JPS site. very hard to navigate and find anything.
very expensive too, more than i want to spend on axle tubes and knuckles at this stage.
i do like the idea of the knuckles running on bearings though instead of bushes.
i have also considered portals, but at this stage they arent really neccessary to get the truck up and running. i will probably add them after the build is done though.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

jps originated alu clod cases, i think. they have been around for ever, may pay a little more but you know its good stuff.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:27 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

i wouldnt use rc4wd knuckles the arms screw on thats a weak spot. gpm or inetrc.com and few others id use over them hot-racing.com has the cheapest metal gears
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:20 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

thanks for all the replies, keep them coming.
at present, with the parts ive selected, im up for around $600US just for 2 axles. obviously im not going to spend that much, thats for sure.
ill check out GPM and inetrc as well.
i do know what i basically want, its just finding the right products for the right price.
i will be getting the Integy Alloy cases, aluminium knuckles of some description that will accomodate BTA (waiting for JPS to reply about the price of knuckles), tracgear lockers (all metal gears isnt really essential yet) and RCP CVD's.
if i cant find decent priced axle tubes, i might just go plastic for the time being. one weak point is probably a good thing so i dont destroy more expensive parts.
servo mounts etc ill decide on later.
there is also the raptor axle to consider, but im still not sold on the idea yet. need to hear more from other people that have used it. not too sure about how the gear casing sticks straight out the back and cant be adjusted to an angle for more clearance.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:33 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

ok , i also need to know what other parts i need to be looking at to complete these axles.
there will be the alloy cases, the aluminum knuckles, tracgear lockers and JPS CVD's.
what other stock/aftermarket parts do i also need?
things like spacers, bearing kit (sizes-or are all the bearings the same size?), gear hangers (things that the cogs slide on to - dont know what they are called) etc.
i know i have the main componets covered, its just the little things to finish them off that i dont know about.
anyone know part numbers or names of things i also need to get?
i know this has probably been covered a million times, but having to order from overseas id rather make sure i get everything in one order, instead of getting what i think i need only to find out i need to wait another 2 weeks to finish what i started.