Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Project "As Cheap as I can build it".

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Project "As Cheap as I can build it".

I was going to call it Project "As much as I can do with the money my wife will let me have" but that was too long. I am a complete newb to RC with the exception of Nylints (not much of an experience) but hopefully can learn as I go.

I am probably jumping the gun but I just sent my money off for a roller chassis from John Deere here on the site (thanks again) and I will be putting this project together as time and money allow. If you looking for a quick, professional, high budget build keep looking. If you want to see a slow, low budget, learning experience with plenty of questions mixed in this is probably the spot.

I actually don't have any real plans yet. Not many natural rocks around here but there is a lot of mud and wooded trails so we will see which way it goes. As usual I am open to suggestions on everything and hopefully can find some more crawlers in S.E. Texas. Here are some pics of what I got for $175 shipped. Decent deal?

tjcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I think you got a good deal. It looks good now get some electronics in there
ian48065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Good deal for $175.00!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

That's good to hear. I kinda like the scale and look of the body on there although I might go with a different style, perhaps even try a tuber. I read the "built a clod crawler" thread over and over again and understand the basics of the build but the actually putting together of the majority of the components still escapes me. I am more of a hands on learner and perhaps I can figure it out along the way. Thanks again. Any suggestions? (Besides the obvious "get some electronics" )
Old 04-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

the link in my sign has moped cheap and alot of people on here love them.get a radio and battery and play with it.you got it dirt cheap the axles alone with the knuckles it has is worth that alone. are both diffs locked easiest way to tell is pick up turn a wheel if the other one turns the same way its locked if its backwards its not locked.good luck hope you love it
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
~THE SCALE SHOP~

www.txrcrca.org
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
the link in my sign has moped cheap and alot of people on here love them.get a radio and battery and play with it.you got it dirt cheap the axles alone with the knuckles it has is worth that alone. are both diffs locked easiest way to tell is pick up turn a wheel if the other one turns the same way its locked if its backwards its not locked.good luck hope you love it
They are locked with JB weld. Thanks for the link, this is what your talking about right? http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...C1&log_pid=yes That is pretty cheap, what are the disadvantages of something like this versus the Tekin or Novak and such? Just quality?

Thanks for the link also Stang Killa, I have seen that but didn't see anything going on real close to me but I will keep checking.

Last edited by tjcrawler; 04-20-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #8
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i activated ya. yeah well all drive most of us are in san antonio, austin, and killeen areas, and a couple in houston, sometimes we have drive 2+ hours to the comps. if your really into it its no biggy, ive never heard one of us complain ;)
look forward to meeting ya.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:37 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
i activated ya. yeah well all drive most of us are in san antonio, austin, and killeen areas, and a couple in houston, sometimes we have drive 2+ hours to the comps. if your really into it its no biggy, ive never heard one of us complain ;)
look forward to meeting ya.

Houston is not bad, I am there every couple of weekends to visit the folks. I am going to check out the site right now.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:06 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcrawler View Post
...this is what your talking about right? http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...C1&log_pid=yes That is pretty cheap, what are the disadvantages of something like this versus the Tekin or Novak and such? Just quality?....
can someone help me out here? No experience with any esc's
Old 04-20-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Thats a great ESC for the price. If you have any problems pm dezfan, hes the one that found them out.
I think the bec is 3 amps, which means it can power most high torq servos fine.
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTCrawlin View Post
Thats a great ESC for the price. If you have any problems pm dezfan, hes the one that found them out.
I think the bec is 3 amps, which means it can power most high torq servos fine.
Cool, I will probably be ordering one real soon.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:12 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

dezfan is the one that opened most of our eyes to the moped. im runing a tekin rebel 2 its more pricey but at the time was the cheapest best one to run.since your trying to go cheap as you can tq3 radio is what most use its cheap but uses double a's so spend a little on rechargeables. look around ebay and the vendors market here youll find some great deals
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:21 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
dezfan is the one that opened most of our eyes to the moped. im runing a tekin rebel 2 its more pricey but at the time was the cheapest best one to run.since your trying to go cheap as you can tq3 radio is what most use its cheap but uses double a's so spend a little on rechargeables. look around ebay and the vendors market here youll find some great deals
Cool I just read the review on the Moped a while ago and it sounds like a winner.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:50 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

since this is a super and im asuming your gonna have 4ws(4 wheel steering) your probably gonna want more than 1 moped or a regulator, a 3 amp bec is fine for a 2.2 crawler but not here.

benefits of having 2 esc's:
more power
you can rear dig
longer run times if you use two separate batteries

advantage to voltage regulator
sorry, cant think of any other than its less stuff i guess.

have fun with your crawler, and you might want some different tires if its more mun and trail stuff.
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by clod booster View Post
since this is a super and im asuming your gonna have 4ws(4 wheel steering) your probably gonna want more than 1 moped or a regulator, a 3 amp bec is fine for a 2.2 crawler but not here.

more power
you can rear dig
longer run times if you use two separate batteries

advantage to voltage regulator
sorry, cant think of any other than its less stuff i guess.

have fun with your crawler, and you might want some different tires if its more mun and trail stuff.
More great advice, I love this place. See since I am such a newb I had no idea that you could even run 2 esc's much less how to set them up. Perhaps I will be in the market for 2 mopeds, I would like to do 4 wheel steering but will probably be piecing it together little by little so I though I would do 2 wheels steering first then upgrade as I go. I really like the idea of being able to dig, I also like the idea of more power. Thanks for the tips, any links on setting up the e's with double escs?
Old 04-21-2007, 11:19 AM   #17
MODERATOR™

A 3 amp BEC is fine for two servos as long as they aren't super high drain servos.

Especially in a newbie rig.

You should read as much as possible before commiting to anything. We have many members here who have different opinions. So read as much as you can.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by clod booster View Post
more power
you can rear dig
You can use rear dig with one esc. I have done it on my crawler. tjcrawler if you need a prewired rear dig switch, let me know. I can prewire you one that will disconnect the rear motor from the speedo, and short the rear motor poles together to lock it. Just let me know.
TwistedMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:37 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
A 3 amp BEC is fine for two servos as long as they aren't super high drain servos.

Especially in a newbie rig.

You should read as much as possible before commiting to anything. We have many members here who have different opinions. So read as much as you can.
EeePee is correct, when I got the first MOPED, I ran it on my super w/ 2 Tower Pro MG 995s w/o issue.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMetal View Post
You can use rear dig with one esc. I have done it on my crawler. tjcrawler if you need a prewired rear dig switch, let me know. I can prewire you one that will disconnect the rear motor from the speedo, and short the rear motor poles together to lock it. Just let me know.
I appreciate that. I may be getting ahold of you n the future.