Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: a couple noob questions..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2005, 11:02 PM   #1

Default a couple noob questions..

first off, is anyone here running different tooth pinions front and rear on their clods? the rock crawling craze has hit my LHS, and a couple of the guys are saying they will be running 9t up front and 10t in the back so the front grabs first. sounds dumb to me, but is there any merrit at all to this?

next, in what situations would you need new motor mounts? i plan on running 9t pinions front and back to start, is it at all necessary?

i think lastly... which rims will the BFTs fit on? i dont care if i have to narrow rims, as long as they will fit the tire when im done if the clod rims wont work, where can i find wheel adapters to fit the BFT rims?
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2005, 05:53 AM   #2

youll have to run the same pinions in both ends. the lesser you go the slower the wheels will spin . you dont want the front and rears spinning at different speeds. thundertech has adjustable mounts for running smaller pinions. or you can run a reduction unit which is the way to go if you want to crawl.
rockclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:46 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

While I personaly perscribe to Rockclod's logic, there are lots of guys who are mixing up their pinions front & rear.

I think the idea is to put the smaller pinion in the rear, however, as it would lessen the load on the motor, and as such decrease axle-stall.
bRIBEGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Search!!!

This topic has been covered MANY MANY MANY Times and there are DOZENS of pages of information.
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=rockclod]youll have to run the same pinions in both ends. QUOTE]

On clods it does'nt matter I run 11 in the front and 9 in the rear. It's not a 1:1 truck.
kwj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

wqhat i runn is a 10 tooth pioion in the fronmt and a 9 tooth pinion in the rear. this way the weight transfered to the rear will not stall the motor out.
SiameseDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
PapaGriz Yo

Please read:

Let's talk about the axle stall!!!

Anyone solve THE clod problem?
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebz
first off, is anyone here running different tooth pinions front and rear on their clods? the rock crawling craze has hit my LHS, and a couple of the guys are saying they will be running 9t up front and 10t in the back so the front grabs first. sounds dumb to me, but is there any merrit at all to this?
Dumb? OK.
Quote:
next, in what situations would you need new motor mounts? i plan on running 9t pinions front and back to start, is it at all necessary?
you do not "need" motor mounts to run 9T pinions. You can just leave out the brass tubes for the motor screws and should be able to mesh up the gears.

Adjustable motor mounts are the best way to go though, please support the vendors on this site if you can.
Send a PM to "Toyofast" or "Russell" to find out about the Centipede Engineering adjustable mounts.
http://www.monstertruckparts.com.au/components1.htm

Send a PM to "Blade" or email him from the website to find out about the ClodMod Racing adjustable mounts.
http://www.rcbackyard.com/

I use the ClodMod's and like them better than my Thundertech ones.

Quote:
i think lastly... which rims will the BFTs fit on? i dont care if i have to narrow rims, as long as they will fit the tire when im done if the clod rims wont work, where can i find wheel adapters to fit the BFT rims?
BFT's will fit any standard Maxx, Savage, MGT, LST rim diameter.
Mount up maxx wheels with these adapters from HeydCo.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4813

Mount up BFT's to clod or TXT wheels with these from RC Alloys.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4848
http://www.rcalloys.com/pricelist/pricelisttxt.html

Mount up BFT's to TXT wheels with rock rings from DPFab. Send a PM to "rckjeep"
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...5&page=1&pp=10
Old 03-14-2005, 08:05 PM   #9

ahhhh I see. I was told running different pinions was for an entirely different reason. I couldnt find anything by searching because i didnt know what i was searching for

very helpful, very informative. the guys talking about having one axle or the other break traction got me thinking. im going to do some more clod, and more shaft truck research before I drop the dough on the clod

thanks for that grizz!
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:25 AM   #10
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
ahhhh I see. I was told running different pinions was for an entirely different reason. I couldnt find anything by searching because i didnt know what i was searching for

very helpful, very informative. the guys talking about having one axle or the other break traction got me thinking. im going to do some more clod, and more shaft truck research before I drop the dough on the clod

thanks for that grizz!
Running mixed pinions is to help keep the front axle spin to a minimum. Lower gears are for helping prevent axle stall, which I categorize with the front axle spin.
I was going to tell you to seach but then I realized that you prolly didn't know what to search for.

Clod or shafty is always the debate, do your research and decide what fits your desires. But Clods will always rule.