Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Gecko LWB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2005, 10:31 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Post Gecko LWB

Has anyone used the Gecko LWB Crawler? Please give a comparison of the SWB and the LWB. If the LWB is better I am going to build hi-clearence LWB links. What is the wheelbase of the LWB again?
bigsuzuki86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

did both actually...

Had a gecko first gen for about a year before I upgraded it to the LWB links and added a second upper plate. The LWB was FAR better than a stock gecko I or II. Add lockers and some LST's on TTR adapters, and it was damn near unstoppable.

Read....
http://www.clodtalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=8555

This rig now belongs to XTREMERC on here....
Krod_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:55 PM   #3

:O who owns it!?

Xtreme RC is the name of the track i work for
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:00 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yep. My friend has it right now. Here is what it looked like and what it looks like right now.
Attached Images

Xtreme RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Looks sweet David! glad to see its still runnin!
Old 03-14-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Would it be a bad idea to make a SWB have a 16" wb be making the back links 3" longer?
Old 03-14-2005, 10:10 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

you're looking at something like the gecko Pro ed. a 60/40 split chassis.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:23 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Would it be a bad idea though? I want to make my front links 7-7/8" long. Thats 3" longer than stock which are 4-7/8" long. If it will not hurt the performance I plan on making 5/16" links for the front of mine. I dont think I will make them high clearance either. Will it hurt the performance? It seems like it would but I wanted a professional opinion. Dont a Gecko 40/60 use LWB links in the front and SWB links in the back? If so it is my links will be 1.5" longer than that in the front.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2005, 11:37 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Okay, I have a question..... Can someone take a measurement of the links, with or without the ends (prefer without)

Also, are you mounting the links on top of the c-hub? It looks like it, but I was just wondering. I am building crawlers for my daughter and son, and trying to do some different things with them. One Clod and one shafty. I like my Clod.
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 05:25 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

the 60/40 gecko is longer in the rear than the front...hence the 60/40.
Both use 5/16" links and aluminum lower shock clamps.

I'm not sure on exact measurements for lengths, it would depend on your chassis design as well....email Michael @ rcguy.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:24 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Well, I made my links longer in the front than the rear. I did this for weight distibution, and trying to get more weight on the back axles/wheels for better traction on hill climbs. And it works.

I have the INET chassis and I have some 6" or 6.5" stand offs (5/16 with 8/32 thread) I used the lower links from INET for the upper links, and the longer links for the lower. I did have to use some spacers for the uppers, but not much. I will try to get my total link measurements later, but I am working on a Gecko, and was going to use some of these longer links all the way around and see how they work. Just trying to get an idea on the length to figure out which direction I want to go with it.
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:06 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The longer links really need to be in the back. You want to try and get more weight on the front end not the back end. When you are climbing and you get the front tires over the rock you want as much weight on the front end to help pull its self up and keep it from wanting to flip over backwards.

And depending on how your links on mounted to the chassis you normally want the longer links as your top links and the shorter ones your bottom links about a .5" shorter to keep the clod gear boxes level, rather than at an angle.

Yes mount the bottom links to the top of the chub. with the links above the gearboxes you will have more ground clearance.
Xtreme RC is offline   Reply With Quote