Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Axle Brace Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2005, 07:54 PM   #1

Default Axle Brace Question

Howdy All,

I'm new around here and am in the process of rebuilding my Gecko crawler. I decided to try running the bottom links in the upper hole and was concerned about not having the brace there anymore. So, I came up with the following:

It is just a 1/4" rod, tapped on the wheel side to accept the screw holding the link in place and I cut a groove in the other line up with the transmission housing. It feels plenty sturdy enough using the very scientific hand pressure test, but I was wondering if anybody had done anything similar. And if so, did it hold up ok?

Travis
trav99ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2005, 08:04 PM   #2

Are you sure your stock braces won't work? I have a similar setup with home-made links and they fit in that hole with the stock braces still in place.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Looks like it should hold up just fine, maybe stronger than stock.

But, the stock braces will work with the links mounted to them. Thats what most clod people do, including myself.

You can see here in the following pic
Attached Images

AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:31 PM   #4
06 Super National Champ

The way your alum rod is positioned it'll now take less force to snap that axle tube.

You've lost the truss effect of the axle brace by mounting the rod so parallel to the axle tube.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:32 PM   #5

Cool... It seemed as though my links were binding a bit on the brace, but I'm guessing it was a user error. I will go back and retry using the stock braces as the way I was trying would brace forces coming up from the bottom, but not down from the top.

Thanks,
Travis
Old 03-14-2005, 09:24 PM   #6

What kind of angle are you trying to run on your links? They might hit the links if you have your truck jacked way up.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:44 PM   #7

Thanks for all the fast advice guys... it was a bad case of brain fade. One of the braces was bent slightly and contacting the top of the link. When I compared it to the other brace, I could see it immediately. After getting it straightend up, everything went together perfectly. I think the main problem was I just got a new drill press and wanted an excuse to make a part...