Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: On the cheap...a homemade stick (56k be warned)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default On the cheap...a homemade stick (56k be warned)

An overview of this build would show that i did this all on a strict budget, i don't plan on going over 150-200 dollars here...hopefully i can stick to that budget. With that said, and that I'm a bit of a "newbie" to this site ill move onto the picture whoring...

So far out of the pictures shown i've constructed a homemade chassis that ill just call "the twig" for copyright reasons. The mounting points are brass sleeved 1/4" grade 8 bolts i had in my toolbox. Both diffs are JB locked, my steering servo was moved to my front axle strut, rear steer was locked out using nitro brute links...the same links as used for my servo up front. If any of you are wondering why my front axle is motor forward its for weight, yes i know my ground clearance will suffer but I'm willing to try this. I had another rig prior to this stick build and it suffered a major loss so this is where I'm at. The parts in the box are the following: 1 novak esc, 4 2.2 moabs, 4' of deans wet noodle 12g wire, and 3 stock clod pinions...for now i plan on gearing down soon...i just like a fair share of wheel speed. The body on my rig is a extremely chopped down bolink coupe, i liked the lines, size, and the color it was painted with so why not use it? Remember this is a build on the cheap so far i think i have 100 dollars even into this build (everything on the chassis was found in my toolbox, hardware collection, or closet). Hopefully you'll find this build to be insightful. Thanks for looking and have a good one!
Dirty Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Is there a reason behind the front axle being backwards?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Jeepster View Post
If any of you are wondering why my front axle is motor forward its for weight, yes i know my ground clearance will suffer but I'm willing to try this.
yup.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

run2jeepn, i think that's his back diff
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:26 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I know its a little different to have my front axle backwards, but its merely an experiment for more weight placed further up front. If it doesn't work out ill flip it around and flip my steering as well.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I know its a little different to have my front axle backwards, but its merely an experiment for more weight placed further up front. If it doesn't work out ill flip it around and flip my steering as well.
I hear ya on the weight placement deal, but i think your bigger problem is going to be the whole gear case hitting the rocks before your tires
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sounds good. Give it a Shot. If your running 2.2's.. The gear case we hit rocks before the tires will. Thats my guess anyway. Shot some Video of it when you get it running.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
run2jeepn, i think that's his back diff
he has both of them flipped . motors are to the far front and far rear .
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

from what i heard the far rear is a useful trick so you don't hang up on the rear motor, the front is seeming awkward but I'm willing to try it for weight.

I know my setup is a little different guys, so sorry for being obscure. I'm just trying to experiment with a new setup.

Last edited by Dirty Jeepster; 09-20-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:52 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
from what i heard the far rear is a useful trick so you don't hang up on the rear motor, the front is seeming awkward but I'm willing to try it for weight.

I know my setup is a little different guys, so sorry for being obscure. I'm just trying to experiment with a new setup.
hey you go for it man !! as I wouldn't know anything about a what did you call it a twig . looks like a new chassis to me getting a vender star for it . edit : but then again it does look like a PIMP CANE to me . hmmmmm maybe not heck I don"t know maybe R2J knows something . lol
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

haha i know its a pimp cane basically, but i didn't buy it from R2J so why steal his name, i don't know... it's a home made stick chassis, and I'm not selling it or marketing it, heck i just made mine because I'm don't make enough to buy anything more then what i cant make myself. I don't mean to cause friction on this board...:neutral:
Old 09-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
haha i know its a pimp cane basically, but i didn't buy it from R2J so why steal his name, i don't know... it's a home made stick chassis, and I'm not selling it or marketing it, heck i just made mine because I'm don't make enough to buy anything more then what i cant make myself. I don't mean to cause friction on this board...:neutral:
Your not causing any friction bro. It's a great chassis. Every chassis ever built and sold has been copied to some point.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It's all about improving on what's already been made......No offense to any of the original pioneers, but there is always something to improve on. I had built a knock off of Syco's original Torsion chassis, but R2J has gone way beyond the original set up. There will always be someone with a new idea or set-up to try out. Basically trial and error, and what works for you.
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Well i made a little progress today, decided to run plastic bb's up front since i had them laying around, soon enough ill get some stick on weights...but since this clod isn't entering any competitions bb's will do fine...for now. Between doing some homework (college is killing me), working on my 1:1 rig, and helping my mom who just got out of the hospital its been tough to get much done on this thing. Basically i accomplished this:

*bearing kits installed on both clod axles
*filled front moabs with bb's...no foams
*cut foams for rear moabs
*installed my pinions and my 540's, still need to wire it...

pictures soon to come, thanks for being patient with me guys.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:01 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

This builds done, it hits the rocks tomorrow, anyone wish to see some pictures how it turned out?
Old 09-27-2007, 05:25 AM   #16

just for other home builders info, if you use .025 t6 aluminum for a chassis you get better flex out of it then using extruded channel.
colesdad45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:42 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
This builds done, it hits the rocks tomorrow, anyone wish to see some pictures how it turned out?

Noo please no,

Just kidding i wanna see some pics how this 'cheap' build looks
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl rookie View Post
Noo please no,

Just kidding i wanna see some pics how this 'cheap' build looks
Please keep us updated!
Dick Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Had it on the rocks a bit today, it impressed me a few times with some of the positions it got into and out of. Ran my tower hobbies 6 cell through my new esc a few times, worked like a charm since i don't need anything like a mamba just yet...gotta fund the 1:1 rig since i need some new tsl's.

Here are some completion pics...enjoy and ask whatever you must.

Pictures of my rock garden/rig on the rocks soon to come...
Old 09-28-2007, 02:44 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Mate, I like it!

Way to keep it simple, I tend to overcomplicate things somewhat...

Hows that forward facing motor working out? Makes BTA easier...
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote