Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: anyone every built a half cane, half stick/4 link?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default anyone every built a half cane, half stick/4 link?

i know there was the guy that built that cool tear drop thing that was half torsion, half 4 link.

but has anyone every built a cane hibrid? the rear is 100% torsion cane, but the front is either on a swivel like a stick, or even 4 linked....

thoughts? ideas?
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i don't think a torsion and swivel would work.. the swivel would have to much give for the torsion to actually work until it reaches a certain point!
theshimonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshimonator View Post
i don't think a torsion and swivel would work.. the swivel would have to much give for the torsion to actually work until it reaches a certain point!
It would work just fine (half torsion, half stick).
You would just not get any torsion until the shock was fully compressed or fully extended, then it would act just like a standard torsion chassis. You would definitely have to limit th travel on the shock though so you don't get a ridiculous amount of flex.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yeap I've thought about it.

Build it like a pimp cane all the way across. Get some ball ends and mount to one end (not like a traditional hem joint though) the ball is limited on the amount of travel it has. I'll PM you a pick of my first thoughts.
jj
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

only thing I know thats close
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
~THE SCALE SHOP~

83, yeah that was the rig i was refering too. but im wanted to remove all weight above the axle tops ie like a stick/cane. and minimize material used as well.

yeah i understand that the torsion would not even twist 90% of the time, (until the front half reach its max flex and "bottomed out") and im fine with that.

wrecker everyones driving and terrain style is different. my personal torsion comp rig has 90* of flex. stupid to most, but works well for me. i had a pimp cane in the past and the 45* of flex was simple not enough for ME. but just fine for most everyone. again, to each is own. i dont want this to turn into a flex cat fight ;)

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 09-25-2007 at 03:13 PM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I think something that could help inscalers is a leaf/torsikn design maybe... so the chassis flex's with the leafs just to help with flex 'issues' maybe?
theshimonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshimonator View Post
I think something that could help inscalers is a leaf/torsikn design maybe... so the chassis flex's with the leafs just to help with flex 'issues' maybe?
That may get to springy thought.

Stang you have a PM.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
wrecker everyones driving and terrain style is different. my personal torsion comp rig has 90* of flex. stupid to most, but works well for me. i had a pimp cane in the past and the 45* of flex was simple not enough for ME. but just fine for most everyone. again, to each is own. i dont want this to turn into a flex cat fight ;)

I totaly agree, different drivers and different terrain required completely different setups. I was just thinking that depending on the design it might get more than 90 degrees of flex, ...which would be a little excessive.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote