Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: My first attempt...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #1

Default My first attempt...

Ok, a year ago I bought a Super Clod Buster. I assembled it in just hours, but I had not electronics to run it. A lot happened before I could afford them, and what I bought isnt the best but it will work for now. Right now I have:
2 20 turn Stinger motors http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJE43&P=ML
stock gearing
XL-1 speed control http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJM28&P=7 wired in parallel
and a standard HS-303 steering servo

My problem is that I have the 4ws hooked up as the book says, but only the rear steer is the only tires that really seem to turn under any sort of power. If I lift it off the ground the front and rear turns. Is it because my steering servo isnt strong enough to turn the front tires when I am moving or what? Or is it that the front servo saver is set up wrong?
Any help would be great..
silvergagt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergagt04 View Post
Ok, a year ago I bought a Super Clod Buster. I assembled it in just hours, but I had not electronics to run it. A lot happened before I could afford them, and what I bought isnt the best but it will work for now. Right now I have:
2 20 turn Stinger motors http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJE43&P=ML
stock gearing
XL-1 speed control http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJM28&P=7 wired in parallel
and a standard HS-303 steering servo

My problem is that I have the 4ws hooked up as the book says, but only the rear steer is the only tires that really seem to turn under any sort of power. If I lift it off the ground the front and rear turns. Is it because my steering servo isnt strong enough to turn the front tires when I am moving or what? Or is it that the front servo saver is set up wrong?
Any help would be great..

First attempt?

Should also be your last.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:59 PM   #3

What is that supposed to mean?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
Holmes Hobbies

That means you haven't studied crawlers very much,First off the motors are to low wound,for speed,they are taking all your voltage,the esc's don't have a very high bec,volts to servo's and 303 servo's are weak,won't turn heavy,wide tires.If you read and study this board you will find everything you need to learn where you went wrong.
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:29 PM   #5

Ok, well as I had said I am pretty low on cash, so I guess I should be more clear on my question.. Is there something I can do short of buying anything that will fix this? And so I suppose that there isnt then is there. I have read and studied lots and lots of the posts on here. I have "blueprints" of a crawler that I have drawn up for when I can build my own "crawler". I wanted my Super Clod to be my basher. That is why I went with 20turn motors. So am I to understand that I need a 7 cell battery or a dual 7.2 wired in parallel and a HD torque steering servo? If so, then that is all that had to be said.

Thanks for letting me know how I will be treated when using this forum.

FYI, I am not new to the hobby, just new to clods... but I am sure that doesnt matter does it?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergagt04 View Post
Ok, well as I had said I am pretty low on cash, so I guess I should be more clear on my question.. Is there something I can do short of buying anything that will fix this?
No
Heres some of what you need on the cheap side:
v16r moped esc($30 or less look around the net)
55t lathe motors $20 or less each
hitec 645mg servos(still weak but it will work)
TQ3 radio and receiver

Last edited by switch; 10-09-2007 at 10:46 PM.
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:42 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Okay, I'm going to assume your using all the stock clod steering stuff right? Considering you're using four wheel steering and one servo?

If so than that, in conjunction with your weak servo is your problem.

The stock clod linkage has a lot of slop, and isn't the most well designed system, even by 1988's standards.

I would move to an axle mounted servo system, like what several of the vendors here sell and some better servos like the Hitec 645 or 5645mg's. You really don't need anymore batteries. You'll need two servos, or you can just lock out the rear wheel steering. They aren't the strongest, but for what you're doing they should be fine. I ran them on a wide competition truck for quite some time. It would also be wise to use a speed control with a higher BEC output, like the Tekin Rebel or the new Rooster Crawler. The BEC is what powers the servos and will be especially important with two servos. Just do your research, I'm not 100% on what works on a stock clod. I've also seen guys run 1/4 scale servos back in the olden days using the stock steering, although that is far from the best option.

Here's a really bad example, the better axle mounted servos are on the axle brace, but this is all I had on my photobucket:

Last edited by Highmark; 10-09-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:05 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i have a way you can solve your problem without buying anything

look at the front steering
there should be a longish bolt with a nut on top that holds the 2 pieces that slide into that tube thing in front of the gearcase (guys with 4 link setups put a rod in it to attach the upper links too) just tighten up the nut and bolt till the steering works

most likely the spring is compressing so if you keep driving it will eventually turn, if thats what is happening do what i mentioned above

Last edited by some_guy; 10-10-2007 at 07:13 AM.
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #9
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

No offence to you...but if you're not new to the RC world...then you should know that this is not a cheap hobby. Building a crawler doesn't change this...in some ways it's even more expensive. Sometimes you just need to "run what ya brung" (or have) until you can afford to get the better equipment.

FYI...don't let Dirk get on your nerves...he's well known to just speak his mind and be brutally honest. I for one would rather have that honesty than have someone give me a sugar coated "good job"...
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote