Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: All-metal Clod Weight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default All-metal Clod Weight?

Does anyone know the approximate weight of an all metal Clod? Say something like a pimp cane? 12lbs? 15lbs? 20lbs?

Do you guys size your motors and pinions so that one motor is able to lift the rear tires off the ground if the front tire is stuck on something? I would think that kind of torque would break something wouldn't it? I guess it would depend on the total weight of the crawler in the first place and how gradually the torque was applied.

What's the stiffest foam you can get for 40 series tires?
I found something like this which I thought was neat:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/2407

I'm also curious...why do all RC tires use foam and absolutely none use air...ever?

I was also reading something about beadlocks being reusable while regular rims are not (makes sense if you have to glue the foam to regular rims). But I also found something saying that molded foam inserts were reusable (implying that die cut foam is not). That doesn't seem to apply to beadlocks does it? since you don't really do anything to the foam to make it non-reusable. Just curious.

Last edited by DKNguyen; 10-12-2007 at 08:30 AM.
DKNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Most supers wiegh in between 9 and 13 lbs comp ready.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
Keep it real

It's not the foam you glue, it's the tires to the rims. Beadlocks have a ring that locks the tire bead to the rim, instead of glue. Yes, being able to wheelie your clod can result in broken parts if you're not careful, just ask Hotwheels000.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I will weigh my my PC with integy center sections and gears, and rc4wd tubes with R2J knuckles and CVD's when I get home for you.
nosduj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

My all metal comp rig with zero add on weights and a 2100 lipo was 12.5 lbs.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

THanks guys. Do these 12 lbs trucks have aluminum or plastic rims?

Also, I've been crunching numbers and it seems that to get the torque I want at the efficiency I want (between no-load and half-stall torque), I need a 50T-60T motor with a 6T pinion on a Clod gearbox. From what I have heard it's very easy to snap an axle with this combination. But what I don't know is whether or not this combination will snap the axle when it binds, or before then. I can build stuff to limit the motor torque to half-stall (which would allow me to move through the places I want to go), but this is all kind of pointless if the axles will snap at torques less than half stall. So for people who have run this combination, does it only snap when it binds? It's a bit of a vague question because there's so much hypothetical, but I've mistakenly sunk a lot of money into stuff because I didn't plan ahead well enough.

Last edited by DKNguyen; 10-12-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

It all depends on how you drive it, I have broken parts ,but deserved it. The clod axles are fairly strong and ther aftermarket makes even stronger pieces
Old 10-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I'm starting to think destructive testing is the only way to find out.

Here's a slightly more physical, but still very hypothetical question: Has anyone ever tried to climb a steep slope (45 degrees) with their Clod (preferably on one motor. Not sure why anyone would do that, but you never know!)
Old 10-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Testing with your particular set up and circumstances would be best there are so many varibles like traction, temparture,leverage being placed on any given component. If I recall right you are building some sort of bot, so your actual outcomes could and would be very different than any trucks.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

mine weighs 10lbs with wheels, wheel weights, and plastic 40 series wheels/tires.
nosduj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:36 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Interesting numbers on these supers. I have not yet weighed my new super.
PROTOTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, aluminum rims is like +4 lbs...that makes 16lbs for the rig *whistles*
Old 10-14-2007, 05:54 PM   #13
RCC Addict

My super is a tuber with aluminum rims, aluminum housing, and aluminum axle tubes. I also added some extra beef to the axles to support 1/4 scale servo's. Mine weighs in at 17-18 pounds. I run 11v lipo & 75t motors with 6t pinions. The only time i have ever busted axles is in extreme bind while turning. As a test one time, i strapped it to a wagon and towed my kids & then myself. I was amazed not only at the power but the strength. I just bought CVD axles & got more steering and I can't imagine how I could ever break them.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
My super is a tuber with aluminum rims, aluminum housing, and aluminum axle tubes. I also added some extra beef to the axles to support 1/4 scale servo's. Mine weighs in at 17-18 pounds. I run 11v lipo & 75t motors with 6t pinions. The only time i have ever busted axles is in extreme bind while turning. As a test one time, i strapped it to a wagon and towed my kids & then myself. I was amazed not only at the power but the strength. I just bought CVD axles & got more steering and I can't imagine how I could ever break them.

: shock::s hock:
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #15
RCC Addict

My entire chassis is made of metal, body and axles of plastic. I run two batteries and 2.2's. My rig weighs 18 lbs and sometimes i hit 20 lbs when loaded with spare parts (of course i carry spare parts on my rig, just like my 1:1).

I did alot of driving in RWD with one motor and it did alright. It's hard to make it up hills cuz i dont have enough wheel speed (10t, 55t motors) but it rides around like....a 2wd
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNguyen View Post
Do you guys size your motors and pinions so that one motor is able to lift the rear tires off the ground if the front tire is stuck on something? I would think that kind of torque would break something wouldn't it? I guess it would depend on the total weight of the crawler in the first place and how gradually the torque was applied.

He he he http://media.putfile.com/SFR5

Wait till about 2:55, you'll see......

Those are stock axles by the way.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote