Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Ok so I got my first set of Clod Axles ....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 10:56 PM   #1

Default Ok so I got my first set of Clod Axles ....

First my thoughts, I recently Move to Canada as my myifes in the Air Force and we are now stationed here for 3 yrs atleast, well I got to looking around there aint many R/C tracks for my Buggies and maxx and stadium trucks BUT there are tons of huge rock formations and I've always wanted to get into crawler but being from florida there wasnt enough around to keep me involved, but there is here! so I purchased a set of Clod Axles as ive been in R/C since I was about 12 and I know my way around it fairly well (pro by no means tho) so i figured id do a project truck instead of going out and buying a full kit.

Ive been reseaching a bit on things to buy and here what ive got and what I THINK i need.

Got:

2 Clod Axles
4 12mm to 23mm adapter with 1 inch extention
4 Pro line Chyanne bead lock wheels
4 Pro lIne Moab Tires
1 TQ3 converted 3rd channel for rear steering
2 Tower Hobbies TS-150 Digital HT servos (193 oz. on 6v) (on the way)
1 EVX
1 jumper to use 1 battery if needed
1 traxxas 3 channel Rx
1 C-10 Body wanted a jeep but everyone has one that I saw lol
8 Alloy Savage Shocks to maybe get a little more extention (on the way)

Think I need:

1 RCGUY 60/40 Gecko pro chassis (over kill I know buy I want it to be some what big or TCS NN Chassis because the 17in WB
2 RCGUY clod Combination C-Hub sets
1 RCGUY adj. 4 link mount (becaus eit looks more solid)

now I know I will have to change out the eletrics but its what i already had as I have 2 broke down Emaxx and 1 working one lol, but I would like to know what you folks think as you have been doing it for a while and well i hate to say it but I guess Im a noob at this one :-( . any tips hints help advise would be greatly appriciated. gonna add some pics of what I got already later.

Thanks in advance,

SW

Last edited by Speedyweasel; 10-23-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Speedyweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2007, 08:58 AM   #2

Default Got some pics ...

I was reading around and for what I want it for I think the NN chassis would be a better choice for me, I think... well here a bunch of pics of stuff you guys have already seen but if your like me I like threads with pictures, anyways thanks again.

Here are he axles with the 23mm

here are the Wheels and tires

Electronics

and work area ( messy I know but Im gonna clean it )

Old 10-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I started my first build recently with a CPE Evo 16" chassis - worked well:

jmbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbones View Post
I started my first build recently with a CPE Evo 16" chassis - worked well:

Looks pretty cool, seems a bit tall but its hard to tell with it just a chassis, I think I'm gonna go with the NN or even The Huster Stage 1 when they are in stock, gave up on the gecko just like the stace of the NN and the Hustler better, they have that long low look to them. but none the less your looks pretty cool too. guess i'd have to see it on wheels lol, thanks for the input much appricitated

SW

Last edited by Speedyweasel; 10-23-2007 at 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling - prolly even more than i caught lol
Old 10-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #5

Default Okay so I've ordered everything now ....

I'v ordered all my stuff to finish the crawler here what I got:

From RCGuy.com:

Clod Combination Link / Shock C-Hub
Adj. Upper 4 Link Mount

from TCS :

9 tooth Pinion (2)
8 tooth pinion (2)
RCGuy Pro Steering servo mounts (2)
TheCrawlerStore's Aluminum NN™ Clodbuster Rock Crawling Chassis Kits (Clear Anodized)
12GA Ultra Wire 2'RED/2'BLK
Integy Lathe Motor 55 Turn Single Wind (2)
Integy Aluminum Clodbuster Knuckles #C22705SILVER (2)

TowerHobbies.com:

Novak Rooster Crawler Brushed ESC
Integy Gearbox Dust Cover Clear Super Clod Buster
Tower Hobbies TS-150 Std Digital HT 2BB MG U Servo

and once again what I have already:

Pro line Moab Tires
Pro line Bead lock Wheel
TQ3 (with 3rd ch. rear steering)
Clod Axles (2) Locked Diffs
12mm to 23mm + 30mm wide hex adapters
2007 Chevy silverado body or a 1972 Chevy C-10 which ever I decide i supose

Am I missing anything?

Last edited by Speedyweasel; 10-25-2007 at 10:14 AM. Reason: oops missed something
Old 10-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #6

Default Quick Question about the Novak Crawler ESC

Ok I bought a Novak Crawler ESC and was reading the specs on towers webs site and it says it can take a single motor at 27 turns or dual motors at 35-55 turns now I was reading the specs on RCguy.com it says its limit is 12 turns and nothing about dual motors and the Novak site says its limit is 27 turns and nothing about dual again, so was just wondering who out there is running one and if you could clear it up for me as I bought 2 65t and 2 55t integy lather motors so I just want to make sure they will work as I was going off the tower site where i bought them ( i know it said 55t at tower but accidentally bought the 65t thinking they were 55t lol so now i got both or should I say will have as they aint com ein yet).
Old 10-25-2007, 09:01 AM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You will be fine with two 55 or 65t motors. The ESC is 27t single motor limit.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

I run one in my Clod with dual 45T motors. You will have no problems like John says.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #9

Awsome, thanks for the info ya'll well atleast ill have options lol i was gonna sell the 65t's if they wernt gonna work but guess now i have back ups also i bought 8 and 9 tooth pinions, which would be best for starting out, this is after all my first crawler, here i have the info on all i got to make it check out the link and let me know if im missing anything my oder list and what i have already is at the end of the post. plus some pics of what i got so far.

Ok so I got my first set of Clod Axles ....

SW
Old 10-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #10

I bought some treaded alloy shocks for a Savage but after I got them in they seem a little long, any thoughts on this?

I wish i could combine this thread with my thread in newb section doh.. figures I always mess stuff up lol
Old 10-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #11
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedyweasel View Post
I wish i could combine this thread with my thread in newb section doh.. figures I always mess stuff up lol
Ask and ye shall receive.

Go with the 8 tooth pinions. I'd run a 9 tooth up front to help with stall but do some experimenting.

Don't use Savage shocks, use what you have to start with. THe chassis will be fine but mount the body as low as you can on it.

Good start SpeedyW.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #12

Thanks Grizzly, putting the threads together helps, my bad for the mix up, also, so just stick with stock Maxx Shocks? yeah, soon as I saw the Savage ones I was "DANG IT"!! Guess I'll save those for a bigger build down the road .

Well soon as I get my stuff in maybe a week or so (shipping to base post office is quite slow) I post some pics of the progress, thanks for all the help again ya'll

SW

Last edited by Speedyweasel; 10-25-2007 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Forgot to type something
Old 10-25-2007, 12:24 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

like Grizz said, use the maxx shocks. Flex is good, too much flex is a bad thing. the savage shocks would look nice on a 1/6 build or something.

looks like you have a good start, if you really want the most out of your beadlocks you should narrow them to just over 2" wide. the moabs that you have look like the standard and not the XL, the XL's are great for axle clearance but you still picked a great tire.
rcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer View Post
if you really want the most out of your beadlocks you should narrow them to just over 2" wide. the moabs that you have look like the standard and not the XL, the XL's are great for axle clearance but you still picked a great tire.
Not sure I know the process of narrowing the wheels, I got a dremel I could use, or would it be easier to just pick up the XL's wheels and tires? I have a friend that said he'd give me his old pair of proline narrow beadlocks as he just picked up a new pair, said he could give them to me but I know how much they cost so I offered him 30 buck for them they are in good shape but the tires are shot, could I still use the tires I have or would I need the XL's?

Last edited by Speedyweasel; 10-25-2007 at 12:59 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #15

Default Clod Project Update w/ Pics

I've got in most of my stuff and put most of it together Just missing the Servos and some minor other things but for the most part shes all here, I wanted to go with the stock Maxx Shocks but with the combination of RCguys C-Hubs and it being set at 17" wheel base I had to go with the Savage shocks this thing has an 18.5" wheel base also I have ordered the Narrow Bead locks and Moab XL tires as I took to long to get back with my bud on the ones he had. Still not sure about which body but that least of my concern at the moment. just want to make sure it all works well, test it going staight (no servos) and it ran very nice. basic straight up the stairs lol. any ways take a look at the pics let me know if i need to fix anything else.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

nice, crawling the bathroom...

looks really nice.. awesome low chassis and love all the purple accents.. some purple rock rings would be awesome (pity only Axial Makes them).. you might experience some clod stall only running one ESC..
balang_479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by balang_479 View Post
you might experience some clod stall only running one ESC..
Ok, I had to do some searching around to see what "clod stalling" is, and from what I read its got me worried now. I am running a Novak Rooster crawler 12t limit ESC with a BEC rating of 6v DC / 1.5 amps, with that being said am I going to need a BEC regulator and run a battery pack?

or what can I do to reduce or eliminate "Clod Stalling" ?

I read some things but could not make heads or tales of it all and none that I read refered to my ESC, just want to double check to be sure.

oh yeah I am Runnig Tower hobbies TS-150 Std Digital HT 2BB MG U Servo runnig at 193 oz. @ 6v (from what I understand this will make a differance)

Thanks

Last edited by Speedyweasel; 11-05-2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #18

Scratch the info above I just read the Rooster Crawler _Edition ESC Addendum this ESC runs at 6v/5 amp BEC and is a 27t limit

FULL ADDENDUM STATES ( for those who ever need this info):

This Addendum address issues specific to the Rooster Crawler Edition Brushed ESC and should be refered to instead of the original instructions for the changes as noted below.

This Product features high drag brake, no push brake and a 6V/ 5A BEC.

Use this Product only in crawling applications where high drag brake and no push brakes are needed. Use in other applications or in higher load applications will void the warranty as stated in the main Rooster 12T instructions manual included with this product.

THIS PRODUCT HAS A 27-TURN BRUSHED MOTOR LIMIT, USE WITH LOWER TURN MOTORS WILL VOID WARRANTY.

BEC ..............................................6 volts, 5 amps

ROOSTER CRAWLER THROTTLE PROFILES:

Parameter Profile 1 Profile 2
w/ reverse yes yes
% reverse 100 100
Drag Brake 90% 90%
Lipo Cut off Disabled Enabled

just incase anyone need to know (PLEASE READ IT i had to type all that LMAO)

Last edited by Speedyweasel; 11-05-2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the info and sweet looking rig
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #20
PapaGriz Yo

You will learn to love clodstall on a super class rig. It is a huge benefit.