Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: the FU-2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default the FU-2

so, i spent the holiday alone at home with my dog, my clod, a bit of rod, and a mig welder. and this is hwat came of a days worth the drinking and badly bbq'd food.

not quiet done yet but done enough for a mock up fitment of eveything. my over all wheel base righ tnow is 22" iv got a good 80* of articulation.

the base of the frame is 3/32 alum plate. most the frame is 1/8" steel rod. the rest of the frame is 3/32" steel rod. the "tube" part of it is failry tough, i can stand on it w/ no complaints from it at all!..... im only packing a mean 150lbs but..... thats not bad for under 3 buks worth the steel!

so far it seems like it will be a big improvement over my prev set up. i need to make up my mind on how im going to put in the electronics and such and clean up some of the welds a bit. not sure if im going ot paint it or run it raw for a bit.

i realy need to get some widenrs stat if for no other reason but it looks ofly skiny for as long as it is ahhaha. being able to turn lock to lock would only be a nice side affect of instaling some!......
carzlutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2007, 04:40 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

that's a large wheelbase! a little bit different but looks great!
you have a nice carpet
don_ricardocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
RCC Addict

thats like a superduper.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i see some bent links in your future, that thing has gotta be like crawling a school bus.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
i see some bent links in your future, that thing has gotta be like crawling a school bus.
Chassis looks good, but I'd recommend shortening it up somewhere between a 16-18" WB.
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

thanks guys, my last set up was about 16" when i stoped being interisted in it. i figured this time id go uber long and slowly cut it back till i find something that really works for me.

i havnt had any time to mess with the fu-2 since iv been too busy replaceing super rotten plumbing pipes in my house. i discovrd some really bad issues and once i started investagating them iv nto been able to stop fixing them ug.... but hay who dosnt enjoy spending there free time elbow deep in who knows how many year old sludge and such stuck in a drain pipe thats rotted away and leaking!...... oh the fun.....

i hope by the end of the week to get the fu-2 at least running, im no where close to that goal right now though so we will see.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Honestly you should consider spending the next holiday with your family. Just my 2 cents.
chaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

not sure if thats a slam on my craftsmanship or my lack of interest in my family. im 27, and had more than enough of them for 1 year. i was much happier playing in my shop than being told how my life isn't fitting someone else's mold for me. after doing 2 free tranny job's for my folks in the last month, and taking care of my grandfather 2 days a week, im all stocked up on family fun time moments. any hoot...... im thinking a good robot servo for my front steer is in order for this gangly abortionized thing. now to sneak that paypal transaction past the wife aahah......

thanks for all the help guys, iv been trying to figure out if its worth my time to do some bent links now or wait till i pick a real wheel base that works.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:07 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Dude take it easy okay? I said that without any intention of offending you. I just found it weird not spending such a holiday with family. Good luck with the build.
chaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:48 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzlutt View Post
thanks for all the help guys, iv been trying to figure out if its worth my time to do some bent links now or wait till i pick a real wheel base that works.
I'd wait until you've found the WB that works for you, then look at building the bent links.
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Im with you on the family time thing. Everybody needs "me" time and what better way than welding, drinking, and burning food with yer dog. Itill keep yer sane.
On a brighter note, that hass to be the looooongest crawer i done ever seen! Will be interesting to see if you get back to 18in. Pushing the track out will make it look shorter. And bin those bloody awful clod wheels. Actually, put some skinnies on the front and you have a Tractor Pulling rig!!!!! if thats you kinda thing,,,,
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:19 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

wow guess im a bit moody, iv been sick w/ a uber unfun head/chest cold the last few days. sorry bout that....... ill try next time to stuff a tampon in me befor i go of for no reason.

any how after reviewing the rules and such trusn out my frame i jsut a touch too short and a touch not tall enough to fit into the super class. not a big deal to make a few changes in order to meet the requirements.

i have been looking for someplace that sells lexan or polycabanet in sheets so i can make body panels for the fu-2, where do you guys get this stuff at?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

You can find it on liquidrc.com i don't know of any vendors selling them here:-(

Good start btw!!
En get better soon
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

thanks fro the heads up, seems like the price isnt too bad...

12x12 .030 thick lexan sheet
$3.98
Old 12-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Home Depot!
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:54 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

word! home depot helps my 1:1 stay on the road and my 1:10 stay off it ahahha!........ and from time to time i find something id use on my home remodle also.

im about all back ot normal, guess its about time to get back to making this heap of cheap get back on the rocks so i can get laughed at a bit more!