Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Rockbull III Versus TCS Stick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #1

Default Rockbull III Versus TCS Stick

i just got me a set of clod axle and 2 55 turn lathe motor ,. now i need a chassis i looked all over and norrowed down my choice to 2 chassis ,.
Rockbull 3 pro & the Stick , wich one to chose ? i would take the rockbull one because it look to me like i would get more setup options out of a rockbull type of frame but i see that the stick is very good performing chassis.

i would like to be able to chose wich way i want to setup the rear axle (motor in the back)

Is the Stick kind chassis limited when seting up the body ? look like the bodys are only hold by 2 body mount , 1 on each end , does it really hold it in place
could i still use a rigid body like the bullhead original body ?

wich one and why
thanx in advance

btw i already have a little experience with crawler , already have built 18 inch WB TXT wich easely climb stairs ,
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Stick.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #3

ok but why ?
Old 12-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Better performing and cheaper (at least for the Pimp Cane anyways, I'm not sure if the stick is cheaper than the RBIII).
DKNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #5

the stick and rockbull 3 are about the same price
Old 12-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

For performance the stick will be much better. There's realy no need for adjustability as it is already set up right to start with.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
ok but why ?
Read through the Clod forum and the comp results, how many Rock Bulls do you see?

If you have your heart set on a TVP/Linked chassis, check out the TCS NN chassis.

Good luck!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #8
RCC Addict

x2 I will not likely go back to a 4link rig anytime soon.the tcs has a super light back bone and great brake over.the tcs stick have won time and time again and will keep on winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
For performance the stick will be much better. There's realy no need for adjustability as it is already set up right to start with.
brushlessnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #9

think i will go stick !! what about wb? look like they are out of stock can i get the longest one and easily cut it to have shorter wb
anyone else ?

anybody have tried or saw the rockbull in action ?

can i use rigid body (bullhead or clod buster body)on stick chassis ?

i don`t do comps i only want a very good performing chassis
Old 12-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
think i will go stick !! what about wb? look like they are out of stock can i get the longest one and easily cut it to have shorter wb
anyone else ?

YOu know that he cuts em for you right? ANd drills em too. Just ask...any wheelbase you want.
DKNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

If you are not comping and want to put a hardbody on a chassis, save some money and look at other chassis out there like the NN from TCS or many others available. No sence in spending the coin on a stick chassis that you will put a body on that negats all the ground clearance you gain with that chassis not to mention the CG you will loose with that body.

I have used a rock bull chassis, it works as well as any 4 linker if you set it up properly,but there are cheaper options out there.

More expensive isnt allways better. I am not knocking either chassis just trying to save you some coin if all you are going to do is bash

Quote:
anyone else ?

hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #12
RCC Addict

the rock bull chassis is ok for a 4 link design, but the stick is far better for competition rock crawling. if your looking for a good 4 link setup, and you don't want to go the stick route, RCguy.com has the Gecko 2 and Gecko 2 Pro which are really good and tcscrawlers.com has the NN which is really good.
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:54 AM   #13

Well Flame me away but I personally like Tvp 4 link setups but they tend not to be the best at comps,which leads me to believe that there should be a separate class for torsion style chassis.The 4 link setup still looks like a crawler where as the Torsion chassis well just doesn't. just my 2 cents.
Spydermonkyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #14

i dunno about the integy tvp performance , but i sure have a problem with Graphite chassis for a crawler, i`m kind of hard on my rigs.

i don`t mind getting a torsion style chassis even tho i also thinks it does not look like a "real" chassis but is the TCS Stick really worth 220$ ,it does not look hard to fab. and all the aluminum parts look "home made" i only have the stock clod axle no servo mount, steering links etc.

does anybody else makes torsion like chassis with shock setup ?

Last edited by daver; 12-03-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
with shocks no
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i don`t mind getting a torsion style chassis even tho i also thinks it does not look like a "real" chassis but is the TCS Stick really worth 220$ ,it does not look hard to fab. and all the aluminum parts look "home made" i only have the stock clod axle no servo mount, steering links etc.

You need to research some more.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Check into the cane $ 45.00 if you buy it $10.00 if you build it either way it works great , no shocks needed but you do loose alot of ground clearance if you do not cut the body, and the hard shell body make it VERY TOP HEAVY they weigh almost 3/4 of a pound more. That will make a big difference when crawling. Depends if you want to look scale or climb VERY well.
have fun either way its all up to you.
BUGGYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

This is a great thread. I am thinking of getting a Clod based crawler going and the stick looks like it may be the one I pick. Checked out some vids and the website they are sold on. ALL GOOD to me. By the way, what chassis came first at the Nats in Super??
Cheers Guys.
JakeSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:03 PM   #19
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNguyen View Post
YOu know that he cuts em for you right? ANd drills em too. Just ask...any wheelbase you want.
The "Stick" chassis only comes in certain predetermined lengths(12.5", 16", 17" and 18"), you must be talking about the Pimpcane chassis, which is NOT the "Stick" chassis.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #20
Keep it real

Quote:
i dunno about the integy tvp performance , but i sure have a problem with Graphite chassis for a crawler, i`m kind of hard on my rigs.

Is it really worth $220? Yes, Kevin(TCS) did a lot of research and testing to get the "Stick" to where it is today, and the parts are not homemade. I suppose you could cut down a "Stick", but you would have to redrill all the holes for the links and shock towers and body mounts in the correct place to get it to work correctly.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote