Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default possible?

I have this thought lurking in my brain. I am doing a gladiator build (shown in this forum) and planning to make it as realistic as possible using coil springs alone and shocks mounted like 1:1 applications. I know it's simple to setup in the rear but what about the front? Is it possible? The steering box will be on one side of the axle and that's normally where we mount the coil springs. Is there a way around this?

If not, coils in the rear, coil-overs in front.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

anything is possible, just need to start working on it and figure out what needs to be done to make it work! go at it!
rockbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:07 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbound View Post
anything is possible, just need to start working on it and figure out what needs to be done to make it work! go at it!
Yeah i already got the axles ready but i dont' see how i can mount coil springs when the servo's in the way.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:42 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

without any info or pictures its hard to help you. not sure what frame you are using what axles or anything. I assume clod axles since its in this forum. can you mount the servo on the inside of the frame rail and the spring mount on the outside of the frame rail?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbound View Post
without any info or pictures its hard to help you. not sure what frame you are using what axles or anything. I assume clod axles since its in this forum. can you mount the servo on the inside of the frame rail and the spring mount on the outside of the frame rail?

Clod axles. You know how the servo sits on one of the slanted axle brace via servo mount? Normally we mount the coil springs to the axle brace but if the servo's gonna be there, where does the coil mount? Attaching the coil to the frame is easy, i'm more concerned about the axle brace mounting location. Is there another place to mount the servo other than the axle brace?

There's no servo on the rear axle so the coil mount on both axle braces. I wanna do the same for the front but i got a servo in the way.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
Clod axles. You know how the servo sits on one of the slanted axle brace via servo mount? Normally we mount the coil springs to the axle brace but if the servo's gonna be there, where does the coil mount? Attaching the coil to the frame is easy, i'm more concerned about the axle brace mounting location. Is there another place to mount the servo other than the axle brace?

There's no servo on the rear axle so the coil mount on both axle braces. I wanna do the same for the front but i got a servo in the way.
ok makes more sense now. i thought you where trying to mount the sevro to the frame for a drag link looking scale option. look at the crawler store under the g-made stuff. they make a sevro mount that mounts the servo vertically next to the tranny on the cold axle instead of on the brace.!
Old 12-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
Holmes Hobbies

you can use the stand up servo mount that bolts to the gearbox.

CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD13 View Post
you can use the stand up servo mount that bolts to the gearbox.

yep! thats it!

i just tried to do a search to get you the link for it, but i cant find it anywhere. maybe they stopped making it. i know they had them at one time because i bought 2 of them! but that was like 4 years ago. maybe they dont make em anymore. but it shouldnt be hard to fab one up. all it is is a flat piece of aluminum with some spacers to space it far enough from the case to sit flat.

good luck!!
Old 12-09-2007, 11:39 AM   #9
Holmes Hobbies

http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...C1&log_pid=yes

Drill a hole for a TLT servo mount and you got it
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD13 View Post
http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...C1&log_pid=yes

Drill a hole for a TLT servo mount and you got it
I'm sorry, no matches were found for "Steering_Components".
Please try your search again.

The stand-up setup looks like it will work but will take away some of that scale look but oh well. I'll give it a try.

I would like to mount the box to the frame and run a drag link setup but i don't know how difficult that is to do. I'll have to research it some more.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #11

If youre gonna use the servo mount here are some rc4wd ones

http://rcpcrawlers.com/product.php?p...8&cat=8&page=1
Jammin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
I'm sorry, no matches were found for "Steering_Components".
Please try your search again.

The stand-up setup looks like it will work but will take away some of that scale look but oh well. I'll give it a try.

I would like to mount the box to the frame and run a drag link setup but i don't know how difficult that is to do. I'll have to research it some more.

Thanks!
not to bust your bubble or anything but the fact that you are using clod buster axles already takes away your scale look! i think you can use the vertical servo mount.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:07 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

double j built a rig (clod) with leaf springs!! try searching scale clod BFR it was a sweet rig
gmc572 is offline   Reply With Quote