Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Got my kit today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Got my kit today

Got my kit from my LHS, before I picked up the only kit they brought in -dont ask me why they only brought one kit in?- 3 guys tried to buy it before I got there.
So here it sits in the box, calling me like a cat to a litter box,great white shark to blood,and your tongue to a 9 volt battery , and yet I can not even open the box, the wife is sure steaming :(, but I did molest the box alittle when I brought it in the house
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2008, 12:49 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

your gross, get building and take some shots along the way. lol.
4mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:02 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mods View Post
your gross, get building and take some shots along the way. lol.
Well the wife has calmed down a bit, as for the build, I need to clear some major space in my work room- right now I dont even have a 6" square of clear area,plus I am trying to get Hexcrews to add the m2.6 x 8mm screws to the AP kit, they dont carry that size but do carry a 2.6 x 10mm , the area is 9.09mm thick so 1mm excess should not be a problem,since these are only used to capture the springs.
I am also waiting for JPCUSTOMRC to get the mgr946's ? in.
I will probably work on the body will I wait for everything to become aval
Old 05-02-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
Powered by Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
Well the wife has calmed down a bit, as for the build, I need to clear some major space in my work room- right now I dont even have a 6" square of clear area,plus I am trying to get Hexcrews to add the m2.6 x 8mm screws to the AP kit, they dont carry that size but do carry a 2.6 x 10mm , the area is 9.09mm thick so 1mm excess should not be a problem,since these are only used to capture the springs.
I am also waiting for JPCUSTOMRC to get the mgr946's ? in.
I will probably work on the body will I wait for everything to become aval
i know the feeling.. my wife was with me last night when i had it in my hands at the local hobby shop... i was all :-P :-P :-P.. then i looked to my right and i saw ... and i was all :-( ... i gotta wait a month or so till i get to play.
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:40 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Well she calmed down,so I opened the box and put my finger prints all over, did some outlining of the body for masking/triming.
Anyone suggest a motor for it, dont want a lathe motor as I wont be doing comp, just bashing around ,I was thinking maybe a trinity horse power stock 27t?
Old 05-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Got the shocks together,ordered my hexcrew kit $82 ouch,trimmed the body, did 90% of the masking,nice that these are die cut, the 2 front windows where just about dead on-no trimming, the rest required trimming
Put the diffs together,gobs of synthetic grease ,planetary gears together,rod links together-thanks god for power tools
Things I should have done by the end of the week ,body painted,kit should be complete ,just less servo and bec-come on JP's stock order!!
Old 05-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #7

82 bucks, wow, I pieced my screw kit together from my local hobby shop
~40.00 bucks. Only trouble I had was the 22mm but thunder tiger has that covered and traxxas covered the long ones.
teabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabag View Post
82 bucks, wow, I pieced my screw kit together from my local hobby shop
~40.00 bucks. Only trouble I had was the 22mm but thunder tiger has that covered and traxxas covered the long ones.
Yeah mine is the AP Hexcrews, the regular ones was $50 plus shipping, but since stainless is pretty much junk , I went for the plated ones, better be freaking worth it or I'll be pissssssssssssssssed !
Old 05-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Got my kit pretty much together, misplaced one shock :( , waiting for my screws -the hexscrew kit only came with 40 screws for the beadlocks ?,no electrics yet,come on JP .
I did add part x-3 to under the front links on the front axle and moved the front link on the frame to the foward and upper most hole, no more hitting the stock motor can.
Oh and anyboy who put this together by hand is nuts , thank god for power tools.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

yea i put mine together by hand it sucks but i had to man up i still run the stock can motor in mine and i love it especially with the hilux body on it
4 RUNN 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Got her up and running, still can not find the last shock :( , wanna talk about torque twist!
I am total new to the crawler scene and getting back into rc's period.
So I took it out for a little test run, I am amazed as to what and how she can climb, stock motor , novak rooster esc- the old stlyle.
I have to say I am inlove with this sucker , but telling everyone , dont bother running the stock drive shafts, mine is twisting already not even 5 minutes of run time ,oh well got the traxxas jatos on the way ,but damn I gotta find that last shock

Last edited by Joat; 05-17-2008 at 01:43 AM. Reason: I suck at grammer :)
Old 05-17-2008, 01:44 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Found the last shock, did a little tweaking and test running, I love this truck.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:44 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Glad to hear you are wheelin it, now get some action pics
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Glad to hear you are wheelin it, now get some action pics
I can only do poser action pics, I still dont have all the screws from hexcrew for the beadlocks :-(, the servo is just there to drive around with as JP is gonna have the mg946r back in stock on wed then gotta wait for slow mail to me.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:37 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Got my lighting kit in , 3rd channel turns on head and tail lights -like a real vehicle, brakes likes work always , same led for tail/brake lights, no reverse though , and the brake lights come on when reversing ,but I dont care it's still cool, I had the lighting kit made to my specs ,next lighting kit I get will have either 6-7 leds for the head lights, 2 for the headlights, the rest for a roll bar when I find one to my liking.
Will post some pics as soon as I find the camera , I also picked up a bushwacker body for bashing.