Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Tranny is hard to turn over?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Tranny is hard to turn over?

Hey guys question for the ones that have already built their rigs, i have almost finished mine(build thread coming) and i noticed when assembling the tranny it was a little hard to turn by hand, but i thought it was because of the gears bieng new and all, as i finished the build(wheels, body are unfinsihed still) i felt as if the whole drivetrain is a little hard to turn, i tried the electronics and it sounded ok, but i have a goat system moving this rig, so basically i just want to know what you guys think, is it normal for this kind of tranny?
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Mine felt a little stiff as well as my axles but the more i thought about it every tamiya i have ever built has been the same. Im running the stock can with a rooster crawler esc and a 2300 mah nicad and I got about 35 min runtime checked the motor for extra heat a couple of times and everything felt fine. I think thats just the way they are.
CConROCKS! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

I think my transmission was pretty free spinning, but the axles were tight. They spun free enough, but not smoothly, a little crunchy. So I ran it. Smoother now.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:22 AM   #4

Default axles

EeePee, When i put my axles together they did not turn to well. I would put one half the axle housing in my hand with the driveshaft it turned good, But when i put the other half on, and put pressure as i would tighten it , it would not turn as good Would i have to remove some plastic? or run it for a while to break in? Thanks
for anyones help.
mickysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

My axles were a little crunchy as well but eventually spun freely. As far as the tranny goes I initially had that problem only to realize I had place the aluminum motor mount upside down so part A2 wasn't sitting flush on the backside of the mount.
crcoppens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:43 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

my axles were the same. I think the locking cross pin may cause the axle shafts to bind a bit if you really crank down on them. I noticed the "crunchyness" and removed the pin with the axle assembled and then they seemed to turn more smoothly. I have thought about breaking the axles in with the hand drill method. Also if the motor is installed the tranny will be hard to turn via the outputs because you are turning opposite of the reduction which is like 40:1.
lowslowTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
I think my transmission was pretty free spinning, but the axles were tight. They spun free enough, but not smoothly, a little crunchy. So I ran it. Smoother now.
Corey, see that right there has me thinking there might be something wrong on my tranny, my diffs felt a little crunchy also, but you know what, what the heck, i am pretty sure my goat system is going to smooth that out.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #8