Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: CR-01 pro-comp chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default CR-01 pro-comp chassis

Just a little peek at what I've been working on for the CR-01 chassis.

You can get a little more info in the July issue (#152) of Xtreme RC Cars magazine and see the full feature in the following issue.
OGmicromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGmicromonster View Post
Just a little peek at what I've been working on for the CR-01 chassis.

You can get a little more info in the July issue (#152) of Xtreme RC Cars magazine and see the full feature in the following issue.

Just how many parts do you keep from the kit ? the wheels and 2 screws ?
Coligny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
Roc

If you wanted that, why wouldn't you by an AX10?
Roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:57 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coligny View Post
Just how many parts do you keep from the kit ? the wheels and 2 screws ?
Actually the upper part of the chassis (the rails, cants and plastic side plates are all that's gone. The axles and entire drive train are intact. The only parts I made were the two fiberglass side plates. I could have used the original shocks but I didn't want to.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:23 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc View Post
because I didn't buy this one. It's the we did the review on in the magazine. And if people like me didn't try new things you wouldn't have things like the AX10 to begin with. Plus there are other options besides the axial truck. Besides I did it just to do it. My buddy and I at the office wanted to try it and see how it worked out. He did the review on the land cruiser and noticed its potential.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
To be different than the other sheep. Not everyone wants to run an Axial.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

The CR-01 could be modified either way comp or scale.Stock it's a fun truck to drive around and do some mild crawling.Mine will be stretched out to fit a rubicon body to be my 2.2 scaler.Its good to see someone else modifying it for comps.keep it up,I'll be watching.
srjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeno View Post
To be different than the other sheep. Not everyone wants to run an Axial.
Yea because everyone who runs an Axial is a sheep.

I like the ingenuity of it, and I respect the amount of time it must have taken just to come up with the design but I think what Roc was trying to get at is that money wise it doesn't make sense. Why buy a $300 crawler, then another $40 for a chassis in an attempt to make it crawl like a $220 crawler? (not to mention that the Axial comes with much more aluminum and has a proven drivetrain) On the other hand it definitely gives CR01 owners a choice to upgrade in the future.

Nice looking truck! How about some body on shots?
quick5pnt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick5pnt0 View Post

I like the ingenuity of it, and I respect the amount of time it must have taken just to come up with the design but I think what Roc was trying to get at is that money wise it doesn't make sense. Why buy a $300 crawler, then another $40 for a chassis in an attempt to make it crawl like a $220 crawler? (not to mention that the Axial comes with much more aluminum and has a proven drivetrain) On the other hand it definitely gives CR01 owners a choice to upgrade in the future.

I understand, but the point was to explore options and see what could be done. You know how people can be... they buy a car/truck and start upgrading it. I've seen tons of RC vehicles with lots of bling, this is no different I guess. Thanks for the input. The chassis isn't complete quite yet and we don't have a body for it. I'll post some up once it's complete.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I like it Dave, looks good man... Looks pretty competitive...as far as Axial being the only truck out there...
Its a ok newbie truck, a good gateway to crawling but there are far more superior products out there...
At this point people are attracted to the GREEN... good marketing on a ok product IMO... (look at Monster Energy marketing)
Tamiya has always made great qualitiy kits and parts, not
for newbs IMO, so anyway with that being said... Thanks for showing us
"Vets" a cool truck!
~John
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Great Idea. Way To Be Inovative And Take It To The Next Level. If Everyone StoPed At THE Ax-10 Then The Hobbie Just Dies. Forward Thinking Keeps It Alive. Thanks For Sharing

Last edited by BILLYGOAT; 05-12-2008 at 02:30 PM.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick5pnt0 View Post

Well for us old guys on the board, that is how things were done in the dark ages before the AX-10. You went out, dropped anywhere from $100 to $300 on a kit, threw away 50-90% of the kit and then built your crawler.

There was not magic crawler in a box that anyone could buy and put together. Each one was built by hand, and each one was slightly different than the next. IMHO the AX-10 was a double edged sword....but that is for a different thread.

Why not turn the CR-01 into a comp crawler? The axles are very sweet, I would love to see some CVDs for them. The planetary trans is also a very beefy Tamyia unit, compact and will be bombproof in the long haul. The only drivetrain part on the CR-01 that isn't proven, yet, is the trans. The axles are the best of the TLT and Highlift put together with some upgrades from both.

Why do you need a ton of aluminum on a crawler? The CR-01 has the aluminum parts where it is needed, in the links, and upper chassis rail.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

it doesnt look like it'll hang with the SW3s, GC-2s, blackjacks ad other leading comp 2.2 chassis available...
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
it doesnt look like it'll hang with the SW3s, GC-2s, blackjacks ad other leading comp 2.2 chassis available...
Well we'll see. You really can't base judgment on how it looks. Except for appearance obviously. Also it's only the first step. I'm sure the design will change over time. I'm sure the SW3, GC-2, and blackjack chassis weren't perfect the first time. There's testing and tweaking that needs to go on still. Besides for now, this is just more for fun and experimentation. All I did was make side plates to mount shocks to. The links are stock. So are their mounting locations. I can changes those to down the road.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Nice chassis man!!! What is the wb with that chassis??
countryboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I think you mean "BUY" an Ax10?! ............... Most of the "higher end" COMP rigs out there (any brand) are only run'n minimal stock parts! .............I think it's a great thing for some diversity in the market!.........Keep it up Dave!!
axelsnapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy4life View Post
It retains the CR-01 stock wheel base. I think it's a little over 12 inches. I may be wrong. I know it's about 1/2 inch shorter than my comp rig and my friends AX-10.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelsnapr View Post
I think you mean "BUY" an Ax10?! ............... Most of the "higher end" COMP rigs out there (any brand) are only run'n minimal stock parts! .............I think it's a great thing for some diversity in the market!.........Keep it up Dave!!

Thanks Jerry. I may bring this out to the next comp to try it out (not in competition).
Old 05-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy4life View Post
About 300mm, or 11 7/8"
XRCJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:58 AM   #20
Roc

My original post was very much a question, thank for answering! (sorry if it wasn't asked in the right "tone", don't want to start a fight!)

The work looks very clean.

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 05-13-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Roc is offline   Reply With Quote