Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Another CR-01 on the way.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2008, 09:59 AM   #1

Default Another CR-01 on the way.

Parts are trickling in.

I recently caught the RC Crawler bug, and being an FJ40 owner, the CR-01 was the obvious choice. I plan on making the CR-01 look as much like my FJ40 as I can. Since I run the FJ40 topless, that will be the most obvious difference, but everything else should come out very similar. I even have a set of 37" BFG Krawlers for trail duty, so I grabbed some Flat Irons for the build-up. I'll pull some pics of my full sized FJ40 of my other computer and post here when I get that computer fixed.

As for the CR-01, So far I will be running a Traxxas TQ3 radio, a HiTec HS-645MG steering servo, and I am still completely undecided on ESC, and batteies (I am still reading up on that here to educate myself on pros and cons/experiences). I am sure I'll be tweaking, breaking, tweaking more. I am looking forward to seeing what I can do with this thing without going too far off the deep end. So far this site/forum has been a good help in steering me out of getting generic stuff that may have broken/worn had I gone another less educated route.

I'll take pics as I get this project going. I won't post pics of generic out of the box build-up stuff, as I have seen a few here already. I will post pics of the stuff unique to mine, and comparison shots of my full size FJ40.
green73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2008, 10:37 AM   #2

I am looking really close at the Tekin FXR set-up for an ESC. Can this be used with a stock motor? I am a total rookie to anything but the WallyWorld RC's, so I am learning alot right now. I know I can get the Tekin FXR with motor combo, but should I just run the stock motor until I "out grow" it and put the motor that the FXR comes with in, or just install the motor/ESC combo right off the bat?

Can someone PM me with the basics of Battery stuff too. There is alot of lingo here I am not used to, like "lipo" that I have no idea what it means. Being a bit smart on actual vehicle gearing numbers, I am sure I can figure out the electric motor turns per minute count. How does this work for amp draw though? Do lower numbers = a quick high heat build up? How does all this effect battery selection?

This is some stuff I want to get right the 1st time, and not mix and match a horrible/un-educated set-up.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have an FXR and I love it. You can run brushed and brushless motors, and the drag brake is great!
PS, you can run 2 and 3 cell(35 turn motor limit) lipos with it. As far as batteries, I run standard 6 cell Nimh stick packs with it.
Theibault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:54 PM   #4

I've heard only great things about the FXR, so I don't think you'll go wrong there. I personally chose the Sidewinder for my CR-01 and I'm very happy with it. It has great slow control speed, and I love being able to tweak the throttle curve (plus all the other settings). The drag brake works great too. I also picked up an Integy 55t lathe motor to run because in the videos I've seen of stock CR-01 builds, the stock motor seems to run kind of quick for crawling, but I haven't even touched the motor that came with my kit so I can't say for sure. I'm happy with this motor as well, very slow for crawling, but I have enough wheelspeed to get me out of tight spots and jump a few small gaps just too big for crawling over. If you decide to go with the FXR or the Sidewinder, I would recommend the PC cable for either of them. Having the ability to program the ESC through the computer is extremely convenient.

As far as batteries, I run a E-Flite 2S 1500mAh LiPo, and it's working out great. I've run it for 80 minutes without the Sidewinders low-voltage cutoff activating. It takes about 3-4 hours to charge at 0.65A, but that's not too bad for the runtime. I'm really not sure you need any more battery capacity than that, but to each his own.

Sorry about the essay, hope some of this helps.

Edit: About the motors, as far as I understand it, a lower turn count=higher amp draw and thus quicker heat buildup. As far as I understand it. Check the JRH stickies in the definitive motor threads in the electronics forum, that's where I learned this stuff.

Last edited by The Judge; 05-31-2008 at 12:57 PM. Reason: added pointr
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
MODERATOR™

The Tekin FXR is a great speed controller. It cannot run brushless motors, like stated above. It can run the CR-01 stock motor, a 27 turn, just fine on ~7.4 volts. If you intend to run the truck on higher voltage, you'll need to use a 35 turn or higher motor. The 27 turn isn't the greatest for the real slow stuff, but it works great for starting out.

I use a 3 cell Lipo MaxAmps battery with an Integy 35 turn motor and it's great. A lot of fun.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:36 AM   #6

here are some pics of my full size FJ40. Or not. Is there a number of posts thing before I can post pics or something? DOH!!! Gotta pay to play to photobucket. I see now.

Last edited by green73; 06-02-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:56 AM   #7

I got it put together, and deleted the cantilevers very similar to Ripper77777's. I left the wheelbase as per the instructions though. The reason I left the WB as per the instructions is that in Full Size rigs most people actually stretch theirs for better stability. This however allows the rear tires to stuff into the body, so I'll trim the body to clear the tires. I am thinking about making my own back bumper that mounts to the body as well. It shouldn't be all that hard. When I built the shocks , I used the 1 hole valve and put 80W 90 gear oil in them. I also kept the shocks outboard of the frame to, in theory, help side-hilling and combat roll. We will see how that works out. Another mod I made was a teflon cover for the skid plate. I had a sheet of thin teflon laying in the garage and since the Full Size guys use UHMWW on their skids I figured this would have a similar effect.

Unfortunately during the build my truck had a couple issues (A/C went out, and the fuel sending unit as well). This consumed the extra $ I had for an ESC and batteries, so for now my rig is immobile, so I can't report on how any of my mods work.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #8

Oh I forgot pics.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...Picture024.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...ruckpix023.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...Picture091.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...Picture093.jpg

Don't be too alarmed by that damage pic. It is all repaired now.