Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: CR-01 Blue flames

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 08:01 AM   #1

Default CR-01 Blue flames

Tamiya Land Cruiser 40 (CR-01)
Motor, chassis, wheels: Standard
ESC: Futaba MC230CR
Lights: Tamiya RC LED Light Unit (TLU-01) switched with PicoSwitch
Servos: Futaba S3001 (Four-wheel steering)
Radio: Futaba

You can see some more photos on my blog.

It was great fun building this. These and a couple of other forums were a great help in getting some of the techniques right. I had put together one previous Tamiya model to this - the Dualhunter that I bought for my son a month ago. This was nothing like that though - quite a bit more technical.

For first time modellers - from a first time modeller...
  • Don't suck on the toothpick that you use for the thread-lock
  • Sort out all the parts into little trays beforehand. The screws are not all the size they should be and the bags are not all associated with steps in the build process. There are different sized C-clips and ball links - watch out.
  • Ration the grease. See in advance where you will need it. Or get some extra grease and go wild.
  • If the gear case doesn't close, check the pin in the center shaft that should sit in the base of the planetary gear.
  • Take plenty of breaks when building. I didn't and I regret it. Only because it was such fun, I wish the process had lasted longer.
  • Try not to get frustrated with beadlocks - the sadist that invented them will burn for his sins ;)

I have another model already on the table almost complete. An Axial AX10 with a few nice mods. I have been well and truly bitten
RKCRWLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougT View Post
...Take plenty of breaks when building. I didn't and I regret it. Only because it was such fun, I wish the process had lasted longer.
..oh DOOD!! You are SO screwed now Your life will never be the same...EVER!!! Great build mate...
BitHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Looks good, nice color looks better the silver that i painted mine,how does it go with rear steer,mine is just a play thing the body is a bit bashed up but i love it.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipxj View Post
...how does it go with rear steer...
Rear steer is fun. This is not a pure crawler so I don't expect it to perform as such, but with the stock 540 motor a Futaba MC230CR ESC and 4-wheel steering it gives plenty of bang for the buck.
RKCRWLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I still run the stock can motor ,rooster, and put an 18t pinon, and has torque and good wheel speed. ive got rid of the cantalever and mounted the shocks normally but still have the rear torsion bar by redoing the rear links.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougT View Post
Rear steer is fun. This is not a pure crawler so I don't expect it to perform as such, but with the stock 540 motor a Futaba MC230CR ESC and 4-wheel steering it gives plenty of bang for the buck.

I wonder what is this then seeing its all cro1 chasis CRAWLEEEEEEER |||||| DURR
dreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #7

I like the subtlety of the dark flames against the dark blue. Almost makes it look like ghost flames. Keep up the good work!
Big_Lumpia is offline   Reply With Quote