Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Need a few pointers....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #1

Default Need a few pointers....

For once instead of impulse buying i have done a bit of research. Being new to the crawling end of RC, my first notion was to purchase a Berg. Great rig i know but after racing off road, dirt oval and paved oval for many years im ready to just have some fun again. Keeping the idea of fun in mind the CR-01 seems to easily win the contest in my research here, so i bought one.

Before starting the build i read some threads here such as EeePee's build and a few others. And im still looking for advice for things like bolt up locations that are more desirable than the ones suggested in the manual. Any tips would be wonderful.

Thanks, Bobby
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post
For once instead of impulse buying i have done a bit of research. Being new to the crawling end of RC, my first notion was to purchase a Berg. Great rig i know but after racing off road, dirt oval and paved oval for many years im ready to just have some fun again. Keeping the idea of fun in mind the CR-01 seems to easily win the contest in my research here, so i bought one.

Before starting the build i read some threads here such as EeePee's build and a few others. And im still looking for advice for things like bolt up locations that are more desirable than the ones suggested in the manual. Any tips would be wonderful.

Thanks, Bobby
I used the susp mounting found in JIA build thread, which may be what Eeepee linked to. It's been working great and crawles susrprisingly well for a top heavy crawler. I think I'm going to mess with some diff weight shock oil this weekend.

Last edited by Theibault; 06-12-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Theibault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I would advice running it stock first. You can switch the rear shock mounting locations for more articulation, but you might find it isn't needed and actually more stable with less rear suspension movement.
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Mine is bone stock minus the torson bars and I love the way it handles!
sparky0068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

i agree with matth , run it stock then make changes. ive changed the shock location on mine like jia did and also eepee.ive removed the front sway bar.another thing you want to do is use some shoe go on the tires so they don't spin in the beadlocks.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #6

Thanks, stock it is for now accept i will upgrade the drive shafts and put the Losi shocks on it. Hopefully MIP will come out with a shaft set up for this kit soon. And i ran Losi shocks on everything for the past 10 years or so accept for Customworks chassis, Losi shocks are all love IMO.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
MODERATOR™

Hey yo, I heard my name!

I took JIA's rear suspension change one step further, which I feel is a better thing. I used the forward lower hole in the cantilever instead of the upper rearmost hole like JIA did. I still used the rearmost hole for the lower shock mounting, like JIA did.

This is at normal ride height.

What this did was limit the droop of the suspension when it's articulating, by fully compressing the shock. The problem was the cantilever over extending and flipping itself to the other side and thus getting stuck.

The tire in the backround is fully lifted, and you can see the shock is nearly fully compressed, and the cantilever linkage isn't close to straight, so there's little chance it will flip over to the other side.

Other than that, I run the stiff springs and torsion bar in back, and the soft springs in front, and have since my last post in my thread, added the softer torsion bar to the front. And the spacers for the rear upper links. And all stock oil again. The torsion bars break in a little bit and I like them on there now. I'm not a huge articulation fan though.

Oh, and I find I have to tighten quite a few bolts after a good 11.1 volt running, but I didn't use Loctite anywhere, so you might want to use it.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #8

Excellent info. Thanks again to all. I have been using loctite but just a bit because im sure im going to need to change things after some trial and error. Cant wait to drive it.