Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: 4WS not necessary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 4WS not necessary?

Hi,

I browsed thru the picture thread and I realized most people don't go with 4WS. Is it really not necessary for CR-01? I thought it's much better for a crawler to have 4WS.

DDT
P.S. I also realized only a few people install the anntena. I think it looks much better without it.
MonsterDDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
RCC Addict

well as a scale rig, 4ws is not the norm, nor is it allowed in a scale comp
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have 4ws installed in my rig, I dont comp or trying to be scale just having fun, with the axles locked,hell even unlockd steering radius is pathetic, I am not basing that off of anything other then my needs
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

KISS for me. I don't comp but 4ws is just more things to go wrong.
william g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by william g View Post
KISS for me. I don't comp but 4ws is just more things to go wrong.
All your doing is adding an extra servo - for those of us with a programmable 3rd ch
If your radio supports it why not do it?, unless your going for comp or scale, but just playing around it's well worth the $18.50 for the mg946 from jpcustomrcs.com
Old 07-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
All your doing is adding an extra servo - for those of us with a programmable 3rd ch
If your radio supports it why not do it?, unless your going for comp or scale, but just playing around it's well worth the $18.50 for the mg946 from jpcustomrcs.com

x2 i had a winch hooked up but it could never keep it centered and i just made it for the hell of it while i waited on my parts for my 4ws :P
resetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:27 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetpunk View Post
x2 i had a winch hooked up but it could never keep it centered and i just made it for the hell of it while i waited on my parts for my 4ws :P
Exactly, all the parts are included other then the servo saver -if you run those, which I do because I just fool around.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:18 PM   #8

Having 4ws increased the enjoyment of my rig by a factor of 10. The car turned like a pig before I dropped the 2nd servo but now it's so much better. Having a stick radio helps a lot as well.
Big_Lumpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Lumpia View Post
Having 4ws increased the enjoyment of my rig by a factor of 10. The car turned like a pig before I dropped the 2nd servo but now it's so much better. Having a stick radio helps a lot as well.
Why would a stick radio help?
I'm having a stick but want to get a pistol one.

I don't have a cr-01. But after I put a 2nd servo in my txt-1, it's also much much better in handling.

The catch is, unlike txt-1, the cr-01 doesn't come with a servo position that can let you simply do 4WS with a 2 ch. You have to reverse the rear servo polarity with something electronically. I guess that's the reason most people don't want to do it with cr-10...........
MonsterDDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #10

I love the 4WS on the CR-01. I use a Sky Sport 4 channel radio and receiver. Left stick = Front steering and forward/reverse. Right Stick = rear wheel steering. This way I can use 4ws when I want, and I can "crab" walk it, which does help tremendously on some obstacles. Also, much easier to do donuts with 4ws:-P
spankrjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #11

heaps better with rear steer..i originally set mine up with a twin stick 4ch controller with forward/reverse and rear steer on left stick and front steer on right stick..

have since changed that setup to my clod and am using a modded TQ3 controller with the rear steer set up on a return to centre switch on the controller

either way is good and it drives heaps more stuff easier with the rear steer...the people that dont have it are probably enthusiasts who appreciate the car for what it is and want to keep it life like

dave
80lsy gq is offline   Reply With Quote