Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Reversing the Motor & Planetary Gear Assembly...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 06:58 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Reversing the Motor & Planetary Gear Assembly...

Any reason why I can't mount the assembly of the planetary and the motor around, so that the motor is behind the planetary instead of in front of it?

I've not really got any reason to do it, other than because it's wet at the moment, and I wonder if putting the motor behind might help to keep a little of the water/mud off it. My radio has reverse switches, so that won't be a problem.

By the way, my motor is missing the sleeving on its green wire - the black heatshrink sleeving covering the solder where it meets the motor. I have it on the yellow, but not on the green. Is this a mistake at the Mubuchi Motor Factory, or is it missing for a reason?
fatwoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

All I want to ask is WHY?

You can reverse the whole planetary assembly, but I see no reason to do so. An electric motor can be run in water, many people break in (seat) brushes by submersing the motor in water as it is running.

If you do reverse the planetary assembly you would be shifting weight to the rear of your truck, not good for climbing.

As far as reversing switches on your radio, that is not the correct way to revers the power to your motor. To do it correctly you would want to reverse the wiring to your motor and then re-program your ESC.
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. I hadn't considered the weight issue in that way. You're right, of course, and since the battery pack is up front, leaving the motor beneath it not only adds weight to the front, but also helps to lower the centre of gravity at the front of the vehicle.

One of the main reasons for reversing it, really, was a cosmetic one. The big, shiny motor kinda spoils the look for me, and I was considering hiding it away behind. But there are other solutions, so that's fine.

I also can't get used to the idea of the motors running underwater. I've seen the videos of powerdrills running underwater, but somehow it just seems...wrong.

Anyway, good advice. Thanks.
fatwoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #4

wouldnt running an electric motor underwater short something out?
DANIELG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELG View Post
Not the motor, electricity flows in the path of least resistance, water has higher resistance.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIELG View Post
no but the motor brushes wear EXTREAMLY fast when you dunk them. That's why old school racers did it, to seat the brushes faster.
william g is offline   Reply With Quote