Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: MY truck keeps dieing on me HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #1

Default MY truck keeps dieing on me HELP

Ok here is whats going on , since i bought my truck (CR-01) its been acting kinda funny. It has a Duratrax intelleispeed 16t ESC , Integy 55t, and a traxxas 22155 3ch reciever. Now i use the truck for about 5 -10 min and it works great but eventually it seems like the ESC shits out and the truck just stops working. I brought the truck to a local hobbie show and the guy told me that it was the reciever . So i replaced the reciever and its still doing it . When the truck stops working the ESC just starts blinking and it wont move. anyone know what it could be ? If it is the ESC can someone point me in the right direction of one to buy ! PLEASE HELP ME ASAP !
boostang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #2

Default I think I know

When was the last time you change the batteries in the transmitter? If the receiver is not getting a good enough signal from the transmitter it will cause that problem.

RM

"Do not take life too seriously....You will not get out alive!!!"
StarOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Sounds to me as if your ESC is going into thermal shutdown. When it dies see if the ESC is HOT, careful not to burn your finger. If you are going to replace the ESC check out the Novak Rooster Crawler, or the Castle Sidewinder. Both are very good ESCs, I run Novak in all my trucks and a friend of mine runs Castle. Hope this helps you out....
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #4

ive never replaced an ESC b4 is it hard ?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Holmes Hobbies

No,a little sodering and plugs,Its easy.Just make sure its the esc,bad connections,radio batteries and bad battery packs will all cause this problem.Charge everything and run it till it quits and see whats hot.Don't burn yourself.Did you get the battery with the truck?Battery packs don't like not being used so if it has set a while,thats most likely the problem.
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #6

The battery pack is new i just got it like a month ago not even. I charged it last night and tryed to run it this morning and now it doesnt run at all, it seems like its getting worse everytime that i try to run it . If i turn on the ESC with out the controller on than the ESC stays lit up , as soon as i turn the controller on the ESC either turns off completely or starts blinking ?! Ive felt it b4 to see if it gets hot and its never felt even warm b4
Old 10-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #7

anyone ?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #8

Well I think it's the ESC thats giving you this problem , a 16 turn motor ESC cant be used with a 55 turn motor your ESC is not made for crawling motor, if you look at the spec's of the DuraTrax Intellispeed 16T ESC

Input power:7.2 to 8.4 volts DC (6-7 cells)Operating frequency:1.0 kHzBEC: 5.0 volts / 1.0 ampOn-Resistance:0.0046 ohmsMax. Constant Current:192 ampsMax. Peak Current:660 ampsAcceleration time delay:0.0, 0.1, and 0.2 secondsMotor Turns Limit:no fewer than 16 turnsCase Size (with heat sink):1.48 x 1.34 x 0.57” (42 x 38 x 16 mm)Weight (with heat sink):2.19 oz. (62 g)

Typical Application: a great reversing ESC for beginner-to-intermediate modelers, with easy to use pushbutton setup, ABS brakes for excellent control in and out of corners, great power output to easily handle mild-modified motors down to 16-turns, adjustable reverse-delay, reverse-lockout for racing, and traction control for superb handling.

1. Fully proportional forward and reverse control, with ABS brake.
2. Pushbutton setup, with high visibility red and green setup LEDs.
3. For mild-modified motors having no fewer than 16 turns. Great for sport or intermediate racing uses.
4. Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) enables greater control while cornering.
5. Reverse-lockout disables reverse direction for racing purposes.
6. Adjustable reverse-delay protects gears when shifting from forward to reverse.
7. Adjustable traction control to custom set acceleration speeds and reduce wheelspins.
8. High frequency operation for smooth control, low operating temperatures, and to maximize battery run-time.
9. Pre-installed on/off switch, motor, battery, and Futaba-J radio connectors.
10. Thermal protection, to prevent damage from current overload.
120 day warranty (U.S. and Canada only)

also check out TowerHobbies Spec's http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAXT8

If you need more information, use these DuraTrax resources –Click Here: Manufacturer's Product Web PageE-mail: carsupport@duratrax.comWeb Site: http://www.duratrax.com/Phone: 217-398-8970 Postal AddressuraTrax3002 N. APOLLO DRIVE, SUITE #1CHAMPAIGN, IL 61822

good luck

hbc865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:38 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbc865 View Post
Well I think it's the ESC thats giving you this problem , a 16 turn motor ESC cant be used with a 55 turn motor your ESC is not made for crawling motor, if you look at the spec's of the DuraTrax Intellispeed 16T ESC

Input power:7.2 to 8.4 volts DC (6-7 cells)Operating frequency:1.0 kHzBEC: 5.0 volts / 1.0 ampOn-Resistance:0.0046 ohmsMax. Constant Current:192 ampsMax. Peak Current:660 ampsAcceleration time delay:0.0, 0.1, and 0.2 secondsMotor Turns Limit:no fewer than 16 turnsCase Size (with heat sink):1.48 x 1.34 x 0.57” (42 x 38 x 16 mm)Weight (with heat sink):2.19 oz. (62 g)

Typical Application: a great reversing ESC for beginner-to-intermediate modelers, with easy to use pushbutton setup, ABS brakes for excellent control in and out of corners, great power output to easily handle mild-modified motors down to 16-turns, adjustable reverse-delay, reverse-lockout for racing, and traction control for superb handling.

1. Fully proportional forward and reverse control, with ABS brake.
2. Pushbutton setup, with high visibility red and green setup LEDs.
3. For mild-modified motors having no fewer than 16 turns. Great for sport or intermediate racing uses.
4. Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) enables greater control while cornering.
5. Reverse-lockout disables reverse direction for racing purposes.
6. Adjustable reverse-delay protects gears when shifting from forward to reverse.
7. Adjustable traction control to custom set acceleration speeds and reduce wheelspins.
8. High frequency operation for smooth control, low operating temperatures, and to maximize battery run-time.
9. Pre-installed on/off switch, motor, battery, and Futaba-J radio connectors.
10. Thermal protection, to prevent damage from current overload.
120 day warranty (U.S. and Canada only)

also check out TowerHobbies Spec's http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAXT8

If you need more information, use these DuraTrax resources –Click Here: Manufacturer's Product Web PageE-mail: carsupport@duratrax.comWeb Site: http://www.duratrax.com/Phone: 217-398-8970 Postal AddressuraTrax3002 N. APOLLO DRIVE, SUITE #1CHAMPAIGN, IL 61822

good luck

A 16 turn ESC CAN be used with a 55 turn motor.....
As stated in this quote it says no fewer than 16 turns....
Last time I did math 55 was more than 16....
Try reprogramming your ESC and check it again....
I have had some glitching problems with that same ESC since I switched to a 55 turn, but nothing like you are experiencing....
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:10 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

maybe a thermal problem?
tomancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:30 AM   #11

i think the ESC is just going bad, i just bought a Novak Rooster crawler hopefully that fixes the problem , dont really see what esle it could be