Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Started my FJ build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Started my FJ build!

Sorry...no pics yet. I was too excited to start the build!

While waiting on the UPS man for what seemed like forever, I read several build tip threads and thought I had a pretty good handle on getting this build started. Boy was I wrong! First thing I said when I opened the box was...Holy crap look at all these parts!

So i started out with the cantilever assemblies. I remembered the orientation of part BA31 and thought all was good. Next was the frame ladders. Mounted the cantilevers to the frame ladders and then mounted the plastic tray in between the frame. I'm thinking, this isn't that bad but then I noticed I mounted the cantilever assemblies in the wrong direction to the frame! Had to basically undo everything just to remount the cantilevers correctly.

I told myself at that point that I was going to check and recheck every single step. Then when I thought it was right I was going to recheck it again!

I started building the axles. Ended up dropping one of the .3 shims and couldn't find it! I'm hoping there is atleast one extra .3 shim in the package.

Assembled the diffs, no problems there. Assembled the axles in the diff and mounted to the plastic housings and was going to call it a night but....

I decided to mount one of the beadlock wheels! Pretty tedious project with those 20 little screws.

I think I have decided to seperate all the screws, nuts, etc by size to make life easier. I spent more time looking for the right screws and such it seemed.

Pics to come.
kmrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
RCC Addict

a lot of the smaller parts come with a bunch extra, like shims, screws, etc. So don't worry about loosing one. Don't loose a bearing though, they give you the exact amount needed.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks.

I didn't buy a servo yet. Is that going to stop my build when I get to the steering? will it be too much trouble to add the servo later?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
RCC Addict

You can keep going without the servo. You can take off and install the servo even while the axle is connected to the chassis. Just leave the L brackets off until you get the servo then attach them to the servo then the whole assembly held down with 4 screws to the servo tray which are pretty accessible.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Got the CR-01 into a rolling chassis minus the shocks. Couldn't resist putting the tires together after getting the coil springs mounted

Old 12-11-2008, 07:42 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Okay, so I am going to order my servo, radio and esc. As much as I want a 2.4ghz radio I just can't justify the funds right now with x-mas around the corner.

What is the difference in the AM and FM pistols? I am looking at a few different Futaba models but mainly this one

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGAG2**&P=7

Planning on running a rooster crawler esc and Futaba s3305 servo. Any problems with this setup? I want be running with anyone else so I am not worried about interference.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I have the s3305 servo and an fm tx, works fine with stock, but I changed my servo for a hitec for more torque coz I have taller tires now(5.5").
jadama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Boy, just when things were going good!

I stopped by after work and picked up a Futaba 3305 servo. Installed it in the servo bed and went to connect the threaded shaft to the ball connector and SNAP....i broke the plastic piece that connects to the servo..... Either Q1 or Q3 (the piece that all the servo saver springs attache to). I can't remember which one I used. It was the one with the 3 bigger holes. I was hoping Tamiya had an extra piece but no such luck. No where I can get a Q set for the CR-01 or is there an alternative to using that piece?

Another possible problem. I assembled the planetary transmission and attached it to the motor. Should you be able to grab the driveshaft and turn the motor/tranny at all? Both the motor and tranny turn pretty feely until I assemble them and then it seems as though it is almost locked. I can bend the driveshaft to a 90* angle and barely turn it. I have checked everything 10 times over and it all seems to be right. I mounted the motor and tranny to the chassis and hooked up the driveshafts and nothing turns. It is dead locked.

Bare with me because I have never owned a RC truck before. I'm assuming the power from the motor will turn everything once I get the electronics hooked up but I just didn't think there would be that much resistance.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
Bok
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrunner View Post

Another possible problem. I assembled the planetary transmission and attached it to the motor. Should you be able to grab the driveshaft and turn the motor/tranny at all? Both the motor and tranny turn pretty feely until I assemble them and then it seems as though it is almost locked. I can bend the driveshaft to a 90* angle and barely turn it. I have checked everything 10 times over and it all seems to be right. I mounted the motor and tranny to the chassis and hooked up the driveshafts and nothing turns. It is dead locked.

first, make sure the two large bearings are seated properly on the sun gear. if you did not sand the sun gear to fit those bearings, you'll have to whack them with a hammer second, make sure there is a little play between the pinion and the spur gear when you attatch the motor. the spur should be able to move just a little bit, but not too much. hope this helps!
Bok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

good advice ^

thats what i did.
I shaved down the sun gear to fit the 2 bearings on.
iwantoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:11 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Okay, so I am going to order my servo, radio and esc. As much as I want a 2.4ghz radio I just can't justify the funds right now with x-mas around the corner.

What is the difference in the AM and FM pistols? I am looking at a few different Futaba models but mainly this one

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGAG2**&P=7

Planning on running a rooster crawler esc and Futaba s3305 servo. Any problems with this setup? I want be running with anyone else so I am not worried about interference.
I would go with the futaba 3pm 2.4 fasst, not much more then the fm version.
I would look at getting a stronger servo, at least 160+, jpcustomrcs.com has the Toward pro mgr996 for under 20 bucks and something like 200oz of torque at 6v, also you may want to look at going with a castle sidewinder and a castle bec if your gonna use rear steering, get th program link also, then you can set it up for what ever including brushless and lipo cut off, holmeshobbies has a discount still going 18% off certain products.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:15 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

the common transmission hang up.
glad to see you ironed that out.

oh yea, you asked for it...

crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:51 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bok View Post
first, make sure the two large bearings are seated properly on the sun gear. if you did not sand the sun gear to fit those bearings, you'll have to whack them with a hammer second, make sure there is a little play between the pinion and the spur gear when you attatch the motor. the spur should be able to move just a little bit, but not too much. hope this helps!
I will rip it apart and check it again tonight. I had no problems seating the two large bearings on the sun gear. Didn't sand or have to whack it with a hammer.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Boy, just when things were going good!

I stopped by after work and picked up a Futaba 3305 servo. Installed it in the servo bed and went to connect the threaded shaft to the ball connector and SNAP....i broke the plastic piece that connects to the servo..... Either Q1 or Q3 (the piece that all the servo saver springs attache to). I can't remember which one I used. It was the one with the 3 bigger holes. I was hoping Tamiya had an extra piece but no such luck. No where I can get a Q set for the CR-01 or is there an alternative to using that piece?

Bare with me because I have never owned a RC truck before. I'm assuming the power from the motor will turn everything once I get the electronics hooked up but I just didn't think there would be that much resistance.

Make sure you don't have the mesh between the motor pinion and spur gear too tight. The gears don't need to be completely sandwiched together to work properly. That may be binding up the whole works. Mine spun a bit tight when I first installed it and I did have to mess with the bearing in there as well to get it all to seat correctly, but it loosened up.

Also regarding that servo saver part, you may have to buy another saver, like a Kimbrough or something, because the other part they give you in the kit I think is made for non Futaba servos. I ditched the servo saver altogether, I thought it sucked for rock crawling. I think it because the servo I have has plenty of torque, more than enough to overpower the servo saver. Unless you're jumping and bashing, you don't need it, just use a regular servo horn. Especially if you have a metal or titanium geared servo.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 860Crawler View Post
Make sure you don't have the mesh between the motor pinion and spur gear too tight. The gears don't need to be completely sandwiched together to work properly.
That was it! Finished the build tonight minus painting the body.

I went to a local hobby store to get the electronics. They didn't have much of a selection but it will do for now. Ended up with a Traxxas XL-5 ESC.

Need to tinker with the suspension and steering a little. Doesn't seem to have much flex. I could have the shocks or links in the wrong positions. Not much turning radius. Could be normal. Servo saver is centered so that may be all I get.

Last edited by kmrunner; 12-15-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Well I am finished for now. Removed the front stabilizer bar and changed the shock positions to try and gain a little more flex. I botched painting the inside of the body. The $14 polycarb paint would not cooperate. Anyhow, I had to ditch that idea and just sprayed the outside with some Rustoleum textured paint! Im sure it will peel off but I plan on getting another body down the road and making it purrtyy! This will be my beater body.

Thanks for all the tips and help during the build. This thing is a blast.

Last edited by kmrunner; 12-15-2008 at 01:29 PM.