Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Goin fast w/ cr-01?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Goin fast w/ cr-01?

has anybody actually bashed w/ the cr-01? Like, take it off some jumps, do some power slides and what not. I know its ment to go slow but is it possible to go fast?

I saw that video where it got "tested" going up this rock and falling down a billion times w/o breaking a single thing. I can only imagine its pretty durable.........(I'm only asking because i haven't recieved mines yet, its coming through the mail....Damn slow usps parcel post).

Edit: i must be an idiot but why can't i find/add smiley's to my posts/threads?! >:L

Last edited by Bow3022; 12-27-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Bow3022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

I didn't get as goofy as that video did, but it's held up to a 3S and 35 turn motor no problem. Though its much looser now than before.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

theres a video on youtube with a cr-01 jumping on a offroad track.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

link? I can't find it. lol.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Back when mine was plastic, I had a Goat and a 20 pinion in it, and I could jump it off things. But now it weighs twice as much, and has a smaller pinion...

When I was a kid, my dad had a Hornet, and that was great fun for blasting about. You can get those for £70 now. I opted for a Hot Shot instead, because it is 4WD, and that's even more hilarious. £125, and you get a (crappy) speed controller with it. So now if I want to dash about, I just use that one instead.
fatwoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:38 PM   #6

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but I was kinda wondering the same thing as Bow3022, the stock motor is pretty fast, right? (I never used so stock motor so I'm unsure) surely Tamiya intended the truck being used for jumps and whatnot since they included a speedy motor?
PumpkinPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinPie View Post
Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but I was kinda wondering the same thing as Bow3022, the stock motor is pretty fast, right? (I never used so stock motor so I'm unsure) surely Tamiya intended the truck being used for jumps and whatnot since they included a speedy motor?
Speedy motor, or just cheap, mass-produced motor Tamiya use for everything?

All I mean is that it seems more likely they included the 27 turn Mabuchi (or whoever) motor simply because it is the one they include with almost all their kits. My Midnight Pumpkin 15 years ago had one, and the HotShot I just got also has one.

Don't get me wrong. It's a good motor than lasts forever (or mine seem to, at least), but I don't think it was included because Tamiya imagined people using the CR-01 for jumps and speed.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwoul View Post
It's a good motor
Yeah right...

They did just release a 35 turn for the CR-01 trucks, so I think two things are happening at Tamiya. They feel the speed they get with the included 27 turn motor and the gearing they choose when powered by a 6 cell stick pack is what they like, and they know the motor they included is not great at slow speed smoothness.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Yeah right...
Well OK, maybe not good, but how about "worth running until it dies and then replacing it with something better"? Be fair, I did also call them "cheap, mass-produced motor[s] Tamiya use for everything".

As a photographer, I equate them to the kit lenses you get when you buy a new camera. A kit lens is never fantastic, but it will get you using the new camera, and learning what's what until you figure out what sort of photos you want to do. Then you spend more money on a suitable lens. Silvercans seem to be the same deal.

Having said that, so far I've not had a silvercan die on me, and one of mine is 15 years old and still running. Of course, in its present location I doubt it will survive much longer:

A Mardave banger that regularly gets destroyed, and I intentionally spend as little money on as possible. Next race is a week tomorrow. Last time we abandoned the room smelling like burnt plastic and circuit boards because we thought the fire alarm would start.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwoul View Post
Having said that, so far I've not had a silvercan die on me, and one of mine is 15 years old and still running. Of course, in its present location I doubt it will survive much longer:
You must have not been running it hard enough.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:00 AM   #11

It just would not be a Tamiya is it didnt include one of these... its tradition

Other companies put the same motor in their kits (axial) but they put fancy stickers on theirs.

kev187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow3022 View Post
You must have not been running it hard enough.
Well, its been run in various vehicles during that time, with all sorts of gearings - racers, buggies, a crawler, and now a banger. It's been drenched at least twice, one time in silty water. The first time it drowned it seemed to stop working, so actually lay in a drawer for 2 years, until I needed a motor and decided to try it. Worked fine. One of the contacts even looks a little burnt. So I don't know what more I could do to it, short of hitting it with a sledgehammer.

If you're doing that to your motors, you might want to stop. They probably don't like it.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Hell, they're not suppose to like it! Lol.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow3022 View Post
Hell, they're not suppose to like it! Lol.
Right that does it. I'm starting a helpline for abused motors. Maybe I should offer sheltered accomodation for them too...
Old 01-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #15

In regards to going fast, does the stock suspension setup with separate spring and damper offer any advantages over having just oil shocks?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
In regards to going fast, does the stock suspension setup with separate spring and damper offer any advantages over having just oil shocks?
The cantilever system is pretty much the first thing people ditch when they start to modify the CR-01. It's generally regarded as overly complicated, and I agree with that.

The only benefit of the canti system, so far as I can see, is the stabiliser arrangement, between the left and right sides. But that arrangement can still be used in a variety of ways even when you abandon the rest of the canti system. That stability is a benefit when the CR-01 goes quickly, because being tall, it is prone to topple, even under its own speed on flat ground. Without the stabilisers, my rig would sway side to side on corners, and fall over more easily.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #17

I'm thinking of getting a faster motor for my CR-01 as I want to go slightly faster on dirt tracks and trails.

I currently have the Novak Rooster & Fifty motor Five combo but I was considering putting in the Tamiya 54114 CR tuned motor (35 turn) or the stock silver can motor. I might even get a lesser ESC since I wouldn't be doing much crawling, do you have any recommendations for a decent bashing ESC?

What kind of speeds would I see from the 35 turn and the 27 turn silver can?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:22 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
...What kind of speeds would I see from the 35 turn and the 27 turn silver can?
I got pretty decent speeds from my Eco 20 and 27, with the silvercan and a 20 pinion. Fast enough to flip it right over on flat ground just by cornering. We all know what a huge turning circle a CR-01 has, so that's no mean feat.

Yeah it has a stupidly high CoG, but this was after I'd shoved 90g of weight into each of the wheels, so it was lower than stock.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #19

Is the Tamiya 20T pinion a standard fit part or are there specific pinions for each model? Could you give me the Tamiya part number for the correct one if you have it please?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Here is the Tamiya web page listing for the OEM 20/21 tooth pinions.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=50356

Carl
quickster47 is offline   Reply With Quote