Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: CR-01 problem: wheels not turning smoothly.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #1

Unhappy CR-01 problem: wheels not turning smoothly.

I don't know if I've done something wrong but if I pick the truck up and apply half throttle, the wheels move and then stop for half a second and then move again...every so often there seems to be a violent jerk.

I've removed the drive shafts and just ran the motor and it appeared to be smooth, although I did slightly extend the wheelbase last night and the two sections of the drive shafts are not overlapping by much (I have ordered the longer front one from Tamiya) so maybe the problem lies with either the drive shafts having too much movement or something inside the diff has gone wrong.

:-(
PumpkinPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #2

Mine does the same thing. It is the bevel gear:

http://www2.gpmd.com/image/t/tamc2326.jpg

The larger gear has a small "raised" spot of a few teeth. Both my axles do this. I bought replacement bevel gear/diff sets both locally and ordered a set from Tower. They both do the same thing.

I purchased a tamiya TLT-1 kit for a future scale build and decided to try out its axles. I wanted to see if they had the same problem, but they didn't. They are smoooooth..... No comparison.

I will mention that if your motor/pinion gear is located too close to the main spur gear it will make the effect of the uneven bevel gear even worse. I readjusted mine and it doesn't seem to be a problem anymore in regards to the jerkiness.

I also hooked up my axle to a drill and ran it for a while. It didn't fix it, but it definitely smoothed it out a little bit. I just wish it ran as smooth as the TLT-1 axles, especially considering how much I paid for my CR-01...
Atlas32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #3

I found out how to lessen the problem I think my ride height is too high because my shocks are mighty stiff, my front drive shaft is binding on itself because of the steep angle it's at. I've ordered some new shocks that are hopefully softer and will bed down a bit but the ones I have on at the moment are only 94mm (non-stock suspension setup + cheap shocks).

Thanks Atlas32, I did also move the motor because the pinion and main gear had no gap between them. If you hadn't have suggested that I would never have been led to the drive shaft problem

Last edited by PumpkinPie; 01-01-2009 at 02:22 PM.
PumpkinPie is offline   Reply With Quote