Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: New CR-01 in OZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New CR-01 in OZ

Hey guys,

Well its put together and run a few times and I like it!

Its all stock for now, but I want to know what adjustments I can do with the canter links to make it flex better.

Here are some pics from my front yard on the weekend.

rikstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Some more

Old 05-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

You could move the mounting into different holes. You could use the zip tie trick to get rid of slop. You could remove it completely. You really need to do a search with your question. Eeepee, and JIA's threads are a good start.

I personally have removed the cantis on mine and converted it to a droop set-up. Others, like minicracker have had good success with the cantis. I guess read up and see what you like.
mtnhrdgr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I just removed the rear cantilevers on mine and fitted the short barrel springs. It works really good now and has lots more flex in the rear.

I can't remove them from the front or the tyres will rub too much
lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

What about the swaybars?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

i would take out the sway bars or stablizers in one of your pics i think i see the rear one is in i would remove the rear one frist and leave the front then tell us what you think im still building mine but i have had more than one crawler befor
freelife04239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikstr View Post
What about the swaybars?
I removed both sway bars. Since then I always had a problem with the CR01 leaning too much to the left. I never could figure that one out, and I didnt want to put stiffer springs in the left rear. I was actually about to put the cantis back on, then I decided to try the droop set-up.

Since I've had it on droop, I have had no leaning problems, lowered my COG, and have also close to zeroed out the effects of torque twist...Although I still do get the torque twist effect on 50 to 60 degree incline tests.
mtnhrdgr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

On mine I left the swaybars in and removed the cantilevers. Then I mounted my shocks from the axle to the chassis. On the rear I raised the upper links at the axle to help with torque twist. I think I have 30wt in my shocks.

1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rcmonster View Post
On mine I left the swaybars in and removed the cantilevers. Then I mounted my shocks from the axle to the chassis. On the rear I raised the upper links at the axle to help with torque twist. I think I have 30wt in my shocks.

I like this idea, it's like a Currie antirock swaybar for 1:1 TJ's
Have you got any pics of the flex you get now? It is better?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I have no pics, but I must say it does work better with this set-up versus stock...
Old 05-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Cool, well I think I will start with removing the rear swaybar first, then will progress from there.

1rc, do you think your shocks are longer or the same length as the stock ones
Old 05-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikstr View Post
Cool, well I think I will start with removing the rear swaybar first, then will progress from there.
If either end were to need a sway bar, it's the back. Leave the back one in, it'll help control the body roll. The back is the end most affected by torque twist.

I have both mine in, the stiffer one in the back, I think. Yeah, cause I have softest springs in the back. Then medium sway in front with medium springs in front.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

The shocks are just an old set of Associated 4 inch I had laying around...
Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I like to limit the front articulation but leave as much as I can in the rear . The rear sway will limit the rear articulation . Im no expert in rc but if you leave the front sway in that will hlep the tork twist because when one front tire trys to lift the other takes all the weight which in turn will pull the opposite tire back down using the weight of the truck. I could be way wrong but I would think leaving just the rear in would still let the truck torq twist. I would also think that this would hurt you on steep climes because the sway in the front will help you keep both front tires planted on a clime by making it squat. I would think that the sway in the rear is only going to make the rear squat and front tires lift more but I could be wrong like i say im just using what i know from 1/1 scale cars and drag racing There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism or even corecting me just please use the same respect you would want. So please tell me if you think im wrong or what
freelife04239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelife04239 View Post
I like to limit the front articulation but leave as much as I can in the rear . The rear sway will limit the rear articulation . Im no expert in rc but if you leave the front sway in that will hlep the tork twist because when one front tire trys to lift the other takes all the weight which in turn will pull the opposite tire back down using the weight of the truck. I could be way wrong but I would think leaving just the rear in would still let the truck torq twist. I would also think that this would hurt you on steep climes because the sway in the front will help you keep both front tires planted on a clime by making it squat. I would think that the sway in the rear is only going to make the rear squat and front tires lift more but I could be wrong like i say im just using what i know from 1/1 scale cars and drag racing There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism or even corecting me just please use the same respect you would want. So please tell me if you think im wrong or what

Seems to make sense to me. I did a little bit of a drive around the back yard yesterday with my new set up, rear cantis and sway bar removed, and I didn't notice a lot of torque twist. Have not had the chance to try it on any steep climbs yet.

lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I had a play with it last night

I pulled out the rear sway bar, it stoped the front from flexing but the back was good.

I pulled out the front and rear sway bars, it had great flex but to much torque twist.

I put in the rear swap bar and the torque twist calmed down and the front and rear flex are good

So I have stuck with that until I can take it for a spin.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Mount your upper rear links on top of your plate and that will help with torque twist as well. If you can raise them up 2 or 3mm thats even better...
Old 05-13-2009, 02:51 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelife04239 View Post
From what I know about 1:1 and from what I tried to do with my Juggernaut a while ago there needs to be a balance, too much rear with not enough front can be very limiting.I left the leaves in the front, and put a 4 link in the rear, I had coil overs leaning forward from the lower links to the chassis to get more flex from the rear. It was really good and flexing and slow stuff like opposed holes and logs. But when it came to hills it used to torque twist so much the rear wheel used to almost drive under the truck and it would lift a wheel and roll over backwards. This just made the setup to unstable so put it back the way it was.
About a month later a 4WD mag here in OZ made a comp rig through the mag and they were doing a rear suspension setup similar to what I had tried. I said to a mate "it will roll over backwards at the first hill it gets to"
I was right, first comp, first hill, first big roll.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=73ljDXHMRm8

Old 06-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quick update....

Rear Sway bar stayed in, front one came out, Heaps better.

Tyre weights fitted, heaps better.

I now have lights.

A mate liked mine and went and got one of his own.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:39 AM   #20
Bok
Rock Stacker

On my rig I have the Tamiya barrel springs (medium front, soft rear) and the optional sway bars, with the medium bar on the rear and the soft bar up front. Flexes alot better, with just a little more torque twist compared to the stock setup Don't forget to zip tie your cants to get rid of the slop!
Bok is offline   Reply With Quote