Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: my cr-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up my cr-01

Well I finished my CR-01 today . I thought I did till I tryed to drive it. I had built 2 front axles and put one in front and one in back so they were both pulling when I tryed to move . So its back to the work bench lol not much longer and Ill have my cr01 ready for the fist test run . I have lots of pics to come and some tips for people building there first Tamiya kit or CR-01 .
freelife04239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Exclamation Need to know what you guys think

Well, I took my CR-01 out for the first time today. Im running a Novak Goat setup in it, which I have run in another truck before. I think the stock pinion is just a little too big for my goat. My run times are not what I was used to with the goat and I could stall the motor if I get in a binde. I have never seen this happen with the goat before. The goat is a beast but if you stall it the esc kinda shuts off for like 2 sec then starts back up and is good to go. Is this normal for a goat?? Now I know I could look this up and I probably will but just thought I would put the question out there. My other big problem is knowing what pitch the pinion on a CR-01 is???? I have searched this so for you guys that are about to get all huffy if you feel I need to search it more, well how about you try and then point me in the right direction. Now for my thoughts on the CR-01 over all I love it. The Cr-01 is great I already have short barrel springs on it and Junfac steal shafts on it. Im running a Duratrax 4200 stick pack in it. I should have better run times but that will be fixed soon. I have not run the stock tires or rims yet because 80 screws for the bead locks just was not my idea of fun so I run my axial lizards on axial bead locks. The front have star cut foams with 5oz of weight in each. The rear are just stock lizards no weights. Now the fronts with 5oz and star cut foam had too much tire flex and my ground clearance was too low. Next run Ill be running Proline chisles with 8 oz in each front and Ill have 3 oz in each rear. I will have to make some custom foams. Ill cut the stock g8 foams from the chisels, so I can add extra foam behind it, and hope this will stiffen it up enough to stop all the tire flex. To give me the needed traction. Tell me what you all think?!?!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Yea sorry guys I got lost in the build and did not get any pics of the rest of the build. Ill have some pics and might have video of then next time I take it out for a test run but let me know whay you guys think of it
Old 05-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

WOW guys whats up I had like 15 views in the past hour and not one post come on some one speak up
Old 05-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I dont know about the goat but the pinion is "AV" pitch, you could call it Tamiya pitch if you like
rikstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

hmm so dose that mean any tamiya pinion will work on it
Old 05-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #7

Hi,

you Jeep looks very good

The pitch from Tamiya is Modul 0.6, im youse the 16 tooth pinion in my Unimog, but think i modify this to the 14 tooth.
Also i use a fan at the goat esc, and i have no problems witch temp.

Hubert
Antholzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

cool thanks but im not having any temp problems . I think its the battery did not have a good charge and my lipo cut off is on in the esc and should be off thanks again for the pinion info
Old 05-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Yea any newer type (not like an old FROG or FOX) should be fine
rikstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I agree, the small Novak fan should help with the Thermal shutdown on your Goat.

I have Rooster Crawler and it would often shut down with hard climbing. I installed the fan and now it never thermal overloads.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:10 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

looking good, I was running a novak rooster and it kept going into themal overload, added a fan and never had a problem after that, switched to a mamba just in case I want to go b/l.
Where you'd get that body from?

Last edited by Joat; 05-23-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

toys are us it a fastlane body off of some junk toy truck but bodys cool