Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: CR01 - Ford Bronco Susp. Prob,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #1

Default CR01 - Ford Bronco Susp. Prob,

Hi guys,

Hope you guys can help a newbie here. I've done up my CR01 and the problem I faced is the 'sinking' suspension. Everything is stock. The suspension looks ok whn i lift the car from the ground, but once i plc it back down, the whole suspension get 'squeezed'. There isn't much travel whn i tried to get the suspension to tilt. Can someone pls help me cos this is meant for a bday gift for my son which is on the 16th Aug. Thanks.
juzzmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

A picture would help see what the problem is.

Are you saying that when the CR01 is on all 4 wheels, the suspension closes (goes down)...sort of like it you are running it on a droop set-up? Oil in the shocks/dampeners? Cantilevers set-up properly?

Let's get that thing fixed in time for your boy!!
mtnhrdgr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:35 AM   #3

Seem odd to me, but could you detach one end of a damper and see if it pulls back in?

I doubt however that the stock Tamiya dampers are tight enough to be able to do that, but if you have the damper rod fully retracted when closing the dampers, they will try to return to that state whenever no force is applied.... at least in theory. Given how leaky the stock dampers are, it shouldn't last long tho. :-P
meshwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:06 AM   #4

Hi mtnhrdgr2,

Yes, it's exactly wat u described. Seems that the suspension or spring is not holding the entire body up. The droop is esp. obvious for the front. What can possibly be wrong here? I've checked thru the manual but it seems all placements of the screws are correct.
juzzmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:18 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

give us a picture with out the body on. then we can see what your describing.
rockmahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The stock springs should be doing the trick. Hmmm...please attach a pic with all 4 wheels down.

With all 4 wheels down, pick up one wheel as if to test how it articulates/flexes and take a picture of that. When you take a pic of this, take a shot from the side of the CR01 where the wheel is up and then take a shot of the CR01 from the rear of the two wheels that are down.

FYI...I run my CR-01 in a droop set-up to eliminate the torque twist.
mtnhrdgr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
RCC Addict

You probably have the "yellow" or "red" springs in front and they aren't quite strong enough to support the chassis and battery without compressing a bit. Especially the red, they are super soft. Check your springs, they have a little paint on the last coil to mark what hardness they are.

I put the "blue" in front and "Yellow" in the rear and it give a nice level appearance. They still compress, but not to the extent that having the soft ones up front did. With the soft up front my rig looked like it was lowered up front and jacked up in the back.

Should sit like this with blue in front and yellow in the rear
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Sounds to me as if you have the springs reversed or not enough oil in the shocks. There may also be an air pocket trapped in the shocks as well.
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I would try to rebuild the shocks and check the linkage positions
ElOriginal is offline   Reply With Quote