Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Wrangler body strength

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Wrangler body strength

i just bought the RC Jeep Wrangler - CR01 Semi Assembled Model (hard body) my question is, i'm thinking on mounting the 3racing winch to the front of the body, is the body strong enough for this? it looks like it will fit rather well and i wont be useing that much and if so it will be light?
thanks
prusik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

completed CR01 is pretty heavy - especially if you put weights in the wheels. I woudn't trust any plastic body to hold the entire weight and if you have to bolt it on, it'll weaken it further.

For occasional use/cosmetic use it should be fine. But Ideally find a way to mount it to the chassis. I just used a bit of aluminium folded into an L shape and screwed the upright part to the front of the chassis, and mounted the winch to the horizontal part, just behind the bumper
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post
completed CR01 is pretty heavy - especially if you put weights in the wheels. I woudn't trust any plastic body to hold the entire weight and if you have to bolt it on, it'll weaken it further.

For occasional use/cosmetic use it should be fine. But Ideally find a way to mount it to the chassis. I just used a bit of aluminium folded into an L shape and screwed the upright part to the front of the chassis, and mounted the winch to the horizontal part, just behind the bumper

by any chance you have a picture of how you mocked it up, thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

removed the 'towing eye' (not sure what its supposed to be) from the front cross brace. I had enough M3 long bolts left over in the kit to attach that, but best to drill the holes out a little (they're self tapping so its a PITA otherwise as I found out)

I ended up having to trim a little from the bottom of the Land Cruiser body because the winch mount was a bit high, so in hindsight I should have taken it down further from the chassis, before coming forwards, so take your time and dry-fit it a few times just in case
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
RCC Addict

ok, i see what you mean. i was picturing mounted on the sides of the chassis or something, this will be easy.
I'm hopeing i have this done Tue., have to work till monday. I will post up pics when done
thanks alot mrklaw