Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Skid Plate - axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 03:02 AM   #1

Default Skid Plate - axle

A little showin' off my new skids I just made. I thought I'd give it it's own thread with a easy to find, searchable title. This section could use some more examples of this part.

The last two are of the rear. The front skid I bent the right way with the protective film side of the aluminum sheet on the bottom side. The rear I did not and had to sand out some of the formation tramas.
jimjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

great work, looks to be mocked from the junfac one. i like the rear one, but i am not sure it is necessary. good fabricating man. (on a side note i ordered from junfac, it didn't show up, no email or anything, so i had to pursue through paypal, not impressed)
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog510 View Post
great work, looks to be mocked from the junfac one. i like the rear one, but i am not sure it is necessary. good fabricating man. (on a side note i ordered from junfac, it didn't show up, no email or anything, so i had to pursue through paypal, not impressed)
I may have subconciously ripped off the Junfac. As for dealing with Junfac, never gonna happen! I believe it's actually just an online vending machine, you send money - it send package unless, it's broke.

Last edited by jimjam; 03-30-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #4

Wanna make me a set? I can't seem to find these anywhere.
shimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:56 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

regardless, it's good looking craftsmanship. now lets see if it can take a beating!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I've had the same experience with Junfac. I will never deal with them again.

BTW, I've beat my CR so hard on rocks that I've ground the plastic down to the screws & they're are grinding away now. Some of them I will have to drill out if I need to take my axels apart so I think skid plate would be real helpful.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
I've had the same experience with Junfac. I will never deal with them again.

BTW, I've beat my CR so hard on rocks that I've ground the plastic down to the screws & they're are grinding away now. Some of them I will have to drill out if I need to take my axels apart so I think skid plate would be real helpful.
yea, i am getting there, good to hear it's getting good use! too many shelfers out there!
Old 04-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy View Post
Wanna make me a set? I can't seem to find these anywhere.
I couldn't find one either! Sorry, I'd make you one if we were in love but... it just takes me too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog510 View Post
regardless, it's good looking craftsmanship. now lets see if it can take a beating!
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
I really didn't want to give up the ground clearance for a "doo-dad" but, I was just starting to wear into the screws also. Crawling on bricks and broken jagged concrete was carving out more of my axle housings than I realized as well. It actually does have some benefits. The flat angled surface in front slides over surfaces better than the servo guard and tie rod.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjam View Post
I couldn't find one either! Sorry, I'd make you one if we were in love but... it just takes me too long.
Do you have a template you could post up?
shimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #10

Man, I'm sorry but I drew it on the aluminum.

Just a note, if I did it over (front skid) I would probably make the very front slightly longer with a little more forward (downward) leaning angle to improve it's ability to slide over stuff. It does that well now, but I think it could be better. Something for the next guy to consider

Last edited by jimjam; 04-02-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #11

Nice work, wish I would have saw this when I built mine. I made a similar one but never thought to run the plate under the axle, not just in front.
cr-01 is offline   Reply With Quote