Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Super top heavy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Super top heavy!

Is there a mod to where i can get my cro1 to not be so top heavy?
motostowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Overall not too much you can do, I put a lipo in to reduce battery weight,put some weight in the wheels and chopped an HPI rubicon body to mount low to keep the rubber side down but it will be heavier on top than a lot of rigs are. I used to get frustrated with the tippy tendencies but now I like driving it more than my lcc because I have to use a different driving style and pick good lines.
322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 322 View Post
Overall not too much you can do, I put a lipo in to reduce battery weight,put some weight in the wheels and chopped an HPI rubicon body to mount low to keep the rubber side down but it will be heavier on top than a lot of rigs are. I used to get frustrated with the tippy tendencies but now I like driving it more than my lcc because I have to use a different driving style and pick good lines.
Well said! I have RC4WD OEM steel wheels. They are 4 oz. apiece & help a lot. But it's a tall truck, but on the up side, it has better ground clearance than a lot of trucks so you can use that to your advantage. I have terrain that between my CR01, Honcho & Creeper, only the CR01 can get through because of ground clearance. I agree with 322, I have fun with mine because I have to drive it different than the Honcho or creeper & that's what makes it fun.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
Well said! I have RC4WD OEM steel wheels. They are 4 oz. apiece & help a lot. But it's a tall truck, but on the up side, it has better ground clearance than a lot of trucks so you can use that to your advantage. I have terrain that between my CR01, Honcho & Creeper, only the CR01 can get through because of ground clearance. I agree with 322, I have fun with mine because I have to drive it different than the Honcho or creeper & that's what makes it fun.
Thanks fj40, i guess i will just have to adapt to that certain driving style, but i did figure out that taking the big hummer h2 hard body off and putting an old lexan body on it, made 100% difference in it performance. Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Hui

My CR-01's wheel. I'm not sure that is too heavy or not?

Hui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Like everyone said, strip the weight as much as you can up top and add more weight to the wheels to keep the cog low
SNCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

i took all the cantilever stuff off mine and changed the shocks for some in semi droop.

that took away a lot of the floppy mess.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
i took all the cantilever stuff off mine and changed the shocks for some in semi droop.

that took away a lot of the floppy mess.

Could you post a pic of how you did that?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by motostowes View Post
Could you post a pic of how you did that?
I would have to dig around and see, that was a few years ago. I'm on my iPhone right now, if I get a chance to get to my main pc later I'll gladly hunt for that. For me it still kept the body too high and gave it that southern built mud truck look.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

thought i had better pics of it, but i guess i was wrong.

here is the thread with my old cr-01. if you look close you can see the shocks mounted to the chassis.

lilburb, the trail beat blazer<---- clicky
Old 09-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #11

ill post some pics tonight of what ive done to lower the cog. I lowered the chassis mounts and modified the suspension. Now its crawls better than ever pics coming soon.
unixndata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #12

Before i decided to ditch the stock chassis from my Cr-01, i managed to lower the Cog a great deal while preserving the scale look.

As a result it could stay on its side with a 5000 Mah lipo :

I proceeded like this to obtain this result :

- Lower the chassis rails on the chassis plates :

Bear in mind that you'll probably have to trim the body to ensure your tires doesn't rub on it (it also depends on the diameter of the tyres you use, with those rockgrabber and the droop setup it was mandatory ...)

- Attach the lipo to the front axle behind the servo with a velcro strap

Here you can see i made 2 holes to the velcro strap that fit the 2 screws used to attach the front upper links, this way the velcro strap won't slip...

I put a small rubber pad on the servo plate to ensure the lipo doesn't slip on it.

I used a junfac servo plate for this mod, but you can easily make one to fit your needs.

Attached this way, the battery is almost totally hidden by the chassis rails and you'll be surprised by your Cr01 rockcrawling capabilities.

This was the last version of my rig with the stock chassis, and with full droop i could follow my friend's Gc3a, which i think is a good reference to give you and idea of the capabilities of the Cr01 stock chassis when correctly set up.

Hope this helps...
farfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRWZceTy5M8
unixndata is offline   Reply With Quote