Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: CR01, worth getting these days?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: CR01, worth getting these days?

It was a very fun build, but since I started building Axial rigs I've not driven my CR-01 more than a couple times. At this point, I've already cannibalized all the electronics and the drive shafts so I guess I've given up on it. I got into the scale world and the CR-01 just isn't scale enough. Not even close.
pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I have several rigs, all different brands axial,rc4wd,vattara, and now both the cr01 and the cc01, haven't finished building them both yet , but it's nostalgic for me with tamiya it's where I started off as well.. That was 27 years ago.. Seen done it all since then, and I still have a place in my heart for the tamiya lineup.. When it comes to racing I'm a team associated guy, but in the crawler scene, I really like it all as far as scale goes, and tamiya does that..
Can't wait to get it done.. I have the uni mog version of the cr01, gonna keep it bone stock, and see how it does..
My main rig that I fall back on every time is the trailfinder2 ,sorry tamiya but that yota kicks but...
Rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

My cr-01 does fairly well. I have dropped the frame rails and switched to 1.9's. I also went to short barrel springs which I cut even shorter and ditched the canti's. I did fairly well at my local groups comp, I just don't have enough scale points. I am currently in the process of ditching the springs and going for a full droop setup. Thinking of getting the RC4WD Dual Spring 80mm shocks. They are a fun rig. I would say they are still worth getting. But if you have an Axial scx10 and like scale, then going to a cr-01 would let you down. I am the only one in my local club that runs Tamiya and I keep up with the Axials, but not as well as I would like.
AC_Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

myself i love the drive line form the cr-01 best drive line out there i think it better then my axial stuff
i just like how the cr-01 is setup so i build a custom chassis and this is how my cr-01 is now best scale truck i have
i would buy another cr-01 just the the drive line for my next scaler build

here a pic its old i need to take a new one of the truck now
td-civ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

Honestly I think Tamiya did an excellent job with the drivetrain. The only thing I have broken is a prop shaft because I lengthened my wheel base for my Hilux body. And I've been bashing on it for almost 2 years.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #26
RCC Addict

I agree, I've only changed the prop shafts for Tamiya metal ones and the spur gear as I had the motor shift loose once and wear on the gear. The trans and axles haven't given me any fits. I see guys with other stuff that breaks every time they are out, yet my CR just keeps running. I don't know, maybe I just know when to stop giving it throttle
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Haha no kidding, I had a fellow club member go through like 5 scx10's, but they are pretty hard on them and run higher turn motors. Mostly what he broke was steering components. But my cr doesn't quit, I've broken the internals on a steering servo, I burn't my metal gear one up, had it roll more times than I can count. I had the same issue as you though where my motor moved and kind of stripped my spur gear, but I moved it back into the proper position and it runs great. Makes me think of the realism behind this hobby, since the axles on my Hilux look like 1:1 D60's and the axial guys have what looks like a normal Toyota 8".
Old 07-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Since everyone and their mother has Axial rigs, it is nice to stay original. I like my CR01 and have had a lot of fun modding it. My recommendation is that it is worth getting one.
jeepnvinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Can't stop thinking i want one instead of an scx10 for trailing...
Justin82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #30
Pebble Pounder

I'll be honest, I love my scx10 but more often than not I end up taking my cr01 on the trails. I just find it a lot of fun to use.
Syncrog60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

I started with a Traxxas Summit. It's a freakin' impressive machine, but scale - not so much. When it came time to buy a scale rig, it came down between an SCX10 and the CR01. I got the SCX10 and love it. But a year later, I was at a swap meet and saw a CR-01 roller. I was really impressed with the articulation, and I, like a lot of folks on here, am a Tamiya guy at heart. It must have been 25 years ago that I got a Tamiya Falcon as my first hobby grade RC. So I couldn't pass up the chance for a CR-01 roller! I am now in the middle of turning it into a Unimog (Project Mogfather), and I love having a Tamiya again.

I haven't driven it yet, so I can't say it's better or worse than an SCX10. I have to admit that I can't see it out-performing an SCX10, stock. SCX10s have their flaws, like all RCs do, but out of the box, even with the bone stock setup, it is darn impressive how scale the SCX10 is, AND how well it performs.

The moral of the story - if you want a CR-01 just because, for some reason, you like them - then get one. If it's the truck you'll enjoy, it's the right truck to buy. If it's a question of performance in stock trim, I think it would be hard to out-do an SCX10. But echoing the sentiment of some folks here, who wants to have the 217th SCX10 on a trail run?
GraciousOne is offline   Reply With Quote

CR01, worth getting these days? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 12 days before the 12 days of Christmas Giveaway #3 for NON-star members! jason General Crawlers 95 12-04-2012 07:22 PM
The 12 days before the 12 days of Christmas Giveaway #11 for non-star members! jason General Crawlers 91 12-12-2011 09:28 PM
The 12 days before the 12 days of Christmas Giveaway #6 for non-star members! jason General Crawlers 220 12-07-2011 07:22 PM
The 12 days before the 12 days of Christmas Giveaway #5 for non-star members! badger Chit Chat 206 12-06-2011 08:57 PM
The 12 days before the 12 days of Christmas Giveaway #1 for non-star members! jason General Crawlers 185 12-04-2011 10:44 PM