Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Wheels and Tyres

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Wheels and Tyres

I'm considering whether to invest in a new set of wheels and tyres.

Do I stay with 2.2 or step down to 1.9. What are the advantages and disadvantages? Lower centre of gravity and more in scale versus less ground clearance?

Flat Irons still seem to get good reviews or is there a newer alternative that I should consider.

What are the advantages of new wheels; is it just that new metal wheels add some weight?

Thanks
RichardinNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

If I add new wheels I was thinking of the RC4WD 2.2 wagon wheels. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinNZ View Post
If I add new wheels I was thinking of the RC4WD 2.2 wagon wheels. Any thoughts? Thanks
Here is my FJ40 with 2.2 Flat Irons on RC4WD wagons. The Flat Irons are actually about the same height as most 1.9s, but much wider. I love both the look and the performance. I've actually used the same Flat Irons on my SCX10, and they looked great and performed very well on that also.
Attached Images

new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Wheels and Tyres

Here is my 2 cents worth...

On the right, I have 2.2 Flat Irons on Topcad aluminum rims. On the left, I have 2.2 Proline Super Swampers XL on the Tamiya CR01 Beadlocks.

In my opinion, The CR01 doesn't look right with 1.9s. But in saying that, I have seen a couple of examples running 1.9 wheels that look awesome. But they run different shocks, wheelbase, ETC.

It's down to personal preference...
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the replies; I'd not appreciated how short the Flat Irons were. I think that with the short Barrel Springs they will be ideal. Just not sure whether I can justify the wheels as well at the moment!
Old 09-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
MODERATOR™

No point in the wheels really. They do nothing but hold the tire in place. Size is mostly preference because the tire diameter can be the same with the right tire choice. If you want heavier wheels, find some lead weight and wrap the wheels with it. Simple and inexpensive and proven.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to get a second set of wheels so I can then have two complete sets of wheels and tyres that I can swap between just for fun and flexibility. The RC4WD wheels look good value and look good on the CR-01 Land Cruiser....now only if I could find a shop that sold them and the Flat Irons I could probably save on postage! There are only a few places selling each on ebay and nowhere I have found that sells both.

My current wheels are not weighted; are the RC4WD wheels enough on their own without additional weights?

Thanks

Last edited by RichardinNZ; 09-08-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I run about 3 oz per wheel myself. Really makes a difference!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I've weighted both my sets of Tamiya plastic Cr-01 wheels with 75g of 1:1 stick on wheel weights - alternating 10g and 5g weights fit perfectly around the Tamiya rims, reducing any imbalances.

Percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:21 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Thanks for this. Still considering my options. Guess I just like the RC4WD wagon wheels and trying to justify getting them! Guess they remind me of the wheels on my Ford Ranger SRB in 1980 something but better!
Old 09-11-2014, 04:32 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

EeePee and Percymon are right that there's no functional reason to get the wagons instead of stock rims. It's definitely all about the look, but I love the look. Just beware that the wagons (as with many RC4WD bead locks) are a pain to mount. You have to end up making a jig of some sort to squeeze the wheel rings close enough together to get the screws and nuts into the wheel. Took me 2+ hours to figure it out for the first one. Once I figured it out, it's about 5-10 mins per wheel. And you'll still want to add weight like those guys and OSRC said. I definitely thought it was worth it in the end. Good luck!

Last edited by new2rocks; 09-11-2014 at 04:36 AM.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I just got a set of Flat Iron 2.2's after a good headache reading reviews and various peoples thoughts. I haven't driven it with them as yet (still cutting foam, adding weights, etc..) but am mounting them on the stock CR01 wheels. They are the same height as the stock tires and a touch wider, I think it is 2mm. I can take a pic tomorrow and post. One thing I can say, the rubber compound is quite a bit softer than the stock tire, they should stick really well on rock and grab nicely on dirt.

I was considering new wheels as well, but luckily I have a second CR01 that I am in the slower process of building so can use those wheels/tires and have spent enough in the past week on various hobbies!
Osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:14 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Going to make a wheel decision over the next couple of days!
Old 09-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

OK, sorry for the delay Richard if you were waiting to see these...

Flat Iron 2.2's on stock wheels with cut memory foam. I shaved off about 1/2" from the top and rounded the sides from the foam. Unfortunately I didn't think of taking a before and after pic of the foam before I took the scissors to them. I can say the foam is now the same size as the standing tire itself though. I'm still new to crawling so will see if I removed too much or not. I did the same with the foam in the stock tires and it did make a difference, but that foam is not memory foam, not near as soft.

They are also weighted, I only had 2.5oz per wheel available so I spread it around the rim evenly then added a couple loops of electrical tape.

With any luck I'll finish and get to go driving today.

HTH.

D
Old 09-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Thanks for showing this. In the end I went for metal plated pentagon wheels and have spent what I saved on some other parts! Flat irons and new wheels are on their way!
Old 09-15-2014, 05:15 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinNZ View Post
Thanks for showing this. In the end I went for metal plated pentagon wheels and have spent what I saved on some other parts! Flat irons and new wheels are on their way!

Wheels and Tyres - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dino wheels and tyres Axialdingo Tires and Wheels 0 04-26-2014 06:26 AM
wheels & tyres oddy4691 Tires and Wheels 0 03-14-2014 08:23 AM
School me on Tyres and Wheels WICKED MQ Venom Creeper 19 10-21-2010 05:03 AM
Sub Zero wheels and tyres? dudeka Newbie General 0 02-10-2010 11:45 AM