Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya CR-01

Notices

Thread: Torque twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2015, 07:52 PM   #1

Default Torque twist

Hi there! I've been reading a lot of posts here about eliminating the cantilever setup. I tried it today, took out the cantis and installed the stock shocks directly to the body. Looks nice and clean now except for the canti mounts.

However, i now get a horrible amount of torque twist. So much that the tires rub against the body during acceleration. When turning on sticky surfacesbit tries to twist itself over.

I know this is the result of the geometry and eliminatibg the torsion bar. Do you guys experience the same? What can be done to eliminate this? Or do i just live with it?

I have not tried it on the trail today. If it does get over rocks better i think i can live with it....

By the way i have medium springs up front and soft at the back. Thinking about switching the rears to hard...
johnresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Torque twist

Put one hard or medium spring on the side that gets squashed. That's a start I guess.
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:23 AM   #3

Thanks for the tip that is indeed a start.

I tried to switch to both hard on the rear, looks better and seems to climb better. I can no go over terrain i couldn't before. But not as easily as my scx10, but looks like I'm headed at the right direction.

Articulation is crazy now, not sure if that helps but definitely better 4 tires on contact than just 2 or 3
johnresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:53 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Mess with your rear links a bit. Note how the fronts are parallel, but way spread out. Your rears are much closer together, giving your chassis more leverage and hence torque twist. Move the upper links up a hole or two on the chassis, and move the axle mounts to on top of the axle mount.

Pics can explain better than I - have had good luck with the setup shown here

Last edited by OSRC; 03-25-2015 at 07:55 AM.
OSRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I run a heck of a mix of springs on mine.
I recommend the short spring set & lowers the truck a lot & helps with stability.
The side that dips the worst has a Hard front and Medium rear.
The opposite side has a Medium front & Soft rear.
No Cantilever, no sway bars.
GLwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:43 AM   #6

Hey OSRC. Where did you get your upper shock mounts? Did you make then or are they off the shelf. They look exactly what I need
simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:28 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Made them, very easy to do.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #8

What shocks are you using ??

Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Mess with your rear links a bit. Note how the fronts are parallel, but way spread out. Your rears are much closer together, giving your chassis more leverage and hence torque twist. Move the upper links up a hole or two on the chassis, and move the axle mounts to on top of the axle mount.

barry johnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Those are Integy CR01 shocks. Super nice actually - smooth and haven't leaked a drop since I built them. Discontinued I believe.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:19 AM   #10

Iv'e noticed my left hand rear bogging down a bit too under acceleration.

I thought of just putting 1 Hard spring in that Corner and see how it goes but I think I might try the rear link Mod as well that OSRC has mentioned
Green Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post

I've don't the Rear Link Mod as you mentioned here.

Gonna see how that goes with eliminating or at least helping with the Torque Twist I'm getting too, especially since mounting a Roof basket and light bar plus accessories on mine
Old 07-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #12

Ok.

I probably need to try harder springs in the rear but at this point in time I think the rear link mod has actually made it worse.

Moved them to ontop of servo bed and the other end in top hole of chassis side frame.

My torque twist on acceleration now lifts my right hand front wheel off the ground.
have I done the mod the wrong way?
Old 07-26-2015, 07:02 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I don't think those shocks you're using have internal springs? If not simply add one to the shock that's dipping. A cheap and easy way is to try different ball point pen springs. If that works you may look into getting some rc4wd internal spring assortment.
Killa-Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:03 AM   #14

I didn't want my post to sound like I was denying or criticizing OSRC's Rear Link Mod but it didn't appear to work for ME.

Not to say it hasn't or wouldn't work for others, There are several things to take into consideration...

I'm running a roof basket with accessories and light bar on my rig so that's gonna play a big part too.

Anyhow I got hold of some Hard Springs for the rear and popped them in.
I've also set my Rear Upper Links up attached to Bottom of Servo Bed but moved up 1 hole on the Chassis Side frame and that seems to have reduced my Torque Twist a reasonable amount from what it was when I made my other comment on Sunday Morning (My time)

Apart from that the Harder springs in the Rear lift the back end and give it a much better looking stance.

Torque twist - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Torque Twist Android Venom Creeper 36 04-13-2013 01:56 PM
torque twist shameless Newbie General 2 03-04-2010 01:29 PM
Torque Twist, Here we go again RickM Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 03-01-2010 10:03 PM
torque twist m2000speedster Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 12-26-2006 02:41 PM
Torque Twist drzjohn Newbie General 1 03-09-2006 11:13 AM