Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RCP CVD's parts list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default RCP CVD's parts list

I'm going to order up a set of the RCP CVD's, but I got to thinking what do I use for the rear? I am going to get a set of straight axle adapters, for the rear. The CVD's come with the hex-spacers and use a bolt to hold the wheel on instead of a nut. So in order to run the same wideners on the rear what do I need to order from RCP? I just want to make sure I get everything I need at once.

Any advice?

I did a search but all I find is, people listing thier front axle parts.

thanks guys,
-Nick
NICKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You can run the CVD's in the rear as well or you can get the stainless straight axles. Being a little narrower in the rear dosn't hurt anything, my buddy Tanis runs his rig narrow in the rear and it dosn't seem to slow him down any.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Any idea how much narrower I would be in the rear if I ran the straight axles? I was looking at the RC4WD SS axles, and they have the male ends unlike the the CVDs that have a female end.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

Running straight axles in the rear will make the rear narrower than the front by roughly 1/4" per side or 1/2" overall. That's assuming you run the wide hex on the CVD up front.

I run all my TLT rigs this way, I think being wider in the front helps with turning radius and being narrower in the rear helps when clearing gates. I run a wider front axle on all my scale rigs as well.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

IMO it made sense to run the stainless in the rear not from a cost stand point but for strenght,sinplicity and I like my rear to be slightly narrower than the front my .02 cents.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I am running straight axles in the rear nick--and its the same width
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

MSD rear lockouts on truck and rc4wd lockouts on the other.
I run stock axle shafts with Blakfoot stub axles from RCP.

I used to love a truck with equal front and rear track width, but I am nowing seeing why tanis runs a narrow rear..
ronbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Ok thanks guys. How about bearings, if I understand what I have read on other posts correctly neither the straight axles or the adapters to replace the knuckles come with bearings.

RC4WD list this as a 'kit' but it doesn't specifically say if it comes with bearings or not?
http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=567

Looks like it would run two per side for a total of 4 bearings needed? But on the RCP site it says each TLT axle takes 10 total, what am I missing?

So here's my shopping list so far:

Aluminum Knuckles - TCS
Aluminum 30* inner C's - TCS
RCP CVDs - RCP Crawlers
RCP Straight Axle Adapters - RCP Crawlers
RC4WD SS straight axles - RC4WD or my local shop as they carry them. (I like to support them when I can since they give me lots of help for free)
Bearings - Local shop, how many do I need?

So is my list complete?
Old 01-31-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

the CVDs come wth new bearings for the knuckles...

But to use straight axles you just reuse the bearings in the knuckles already..
ronbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

There are two bearings on the pinion gear,two holding the differential in,and two at the ends of the axles.That plus the four(two in each knuckle)bearings is where they all go.
red jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by red jim View Post
There are two bearings on the pinion gear,two holding the differential in,and two at the ends of the axles.That plus the four(two in each knuckle)bearings is where they all go.
Thanks, I spaced and wasn't thinking of the differential.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

If you want to get the most steering possible from our CVD's without having to do a bunch of grinding I recommend our new super max clearance TLT knuckles to go with the CVD's.

http://rcpcrawlers.com/product.php?p...age=1&featured
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:50 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
If you want to get the most steering possible from our CVD's without having to do a bunch of grinding I recommend our new super max clearance TLT knuckles to go with the CVD's.

http://rcpcrawlers.com/product.php?p...age=1&featured
Ya know I just saw those today. Had I seen them yesterday I would have ordered those instead. I might end up ordering those anyways and selling or giving my TCS to someone.

Any plans to develop a clocked C like the ones TCS sells? Or is that stepping on thier toes a little to much?
Old 01-31-2008, 03:42 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKC View Post
Ya know I just saw those today. Had I seen them yesterday I would have ordered those instead. I might end up ordering those anyways and selling or giving my TCS to someone.

Any plans to develop a clocked C like the ones TCS sells? Or is that stepping on thier toes a little to much?
\

Standard non-clocked axle C's, aluminum ones anyway, can bend after hard use. We did not see an advantage to making a clocked C that, by nature of the design, would have less material strength in the same critical areas as a standard C. Our solution was to make a standard out of stainless steel C that should be the last set of C's you will need to buy.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:52 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Nick--its like a magnet man.. First you start goofing off then---ya lots of $$$
Old 01-31-2008, 04:43 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
Nick--its like a magnet man.. First you start goofing off then---ya lots of $$$

Haha....I don't know why I'm laughing cuz it aint funny. But you are right, I started out with a beater that I thought I would get by with and honestly it was just fine for playing around in my yard. But then I went to a comp, and all hell broke loose. Now I'm not satisfied with just having a beater, I want a rig that can hold its own. Brushless and LiPo's are still a ways off but this month will be the axle upgrades, next month will probably be an R2 for dig, and maybe in march Ill spend the money on some blinging beadlocks.

I honestly try not to think about what I should really be buying for my 1:1 with this money as it sits half torn apart in my garage. :-(
Old 01-31-2008, 05:18 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Its ok nick--try building 2 of these rigs
Old 01-31-2008, 05:24 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I honestly try not to think about what I should really be buying for my 1:1 with this money as it sits half torn apart in my garage. :-(

LOL thats funny man, I was gonna get my super charger rebuilt for my Corrado but I spent all of my money building my new rig. Good thing the Corrado sits all winter
cyberhog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhog05 View Post
LOL thats funny man, I was gonna get my super charger rebuilt for my Corrado but I spent all of my money building my new rig. Good thing the Corrado sits all winter
Haha, yeah I was saving my cash to send my axle's (D60 and 14 bolt) up to Crash to get stuffed with 5.13s and spools BUT....then I bought one of these dumb toys. Its a love hate relationship, I love playing with em but I hate the cost associated with it.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:12 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Haha, yeah I was saving my cash to send my axle's (D60 and 14 bolt) up to Crash to get stuffed with 5.13s and spools BUT....then I bought one of these dumb toys. Its a love hate relationship, I love playing with em but I hate the cost associated with it.

Whenever you are ready nick ----I always can squeeze diffs in