Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My TLT...soon to arrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default My TLT BULU Killer (hopefully hahaha) just begun

I have ordered a TLT!!! YAY!!! I'm excited. I ordered it from www.ultimatehobbies.com for $79.99 shipped! it was a great deal. I had never planned on getting a TLT but I have always liked them and I figured I might get one later after i had finished my Mad Force but seeing that price....I couldn't pass this one up. So I ordered it but they were out of stock but they just got more in stock today so it will probably be here within a week.

One thing I see in the TLT world is a lack of custom competition chassis. Or a lack of competition chassis at that! There is the BULU 2 but I think there is still more potential in these TLT's then the Bulus can show.

The list of accomplishments:
-higher gc than bulu
-low cg than bulu
-high torque with decent wheel speed
-no chassis roll (my top secret design that is yet to be completed)
-lighter than a Bulu
-40/60 links
-axle mounted batts perhaps (i'll have to check out how much room they have when the truck gets here)
-front buggy shocks all around (or GTR's because they have a ball on the cap! and they have the bleeder hole in the cap.)
-4ws
-12" wb (i think...it's w/e the rules say for the 2.2 class)
-keep the price loooooow!!! (like always!) I'm thinkin a target of $200 RTR! I already spent $80 on the truck so I will have $120 to spend unless i sell the uneeded parts on ebay for like $15 or $20 lol.

Stuff to buy:
-shocks $10 (ebay is where da party's at!)
-Mashers or 1/8 moabs (they look tempting!) $25 or $40 (moabs and wheels)
-servos (i have a 645 but i will probably get a bluebird (cheaper) and then my Force is gonna need a couple...these trucks may have to share for a bit!) $24
-lathe motor $20
-jato shafts $5 (I don't like those wimpy pede/rusty sliders) or maybe just maxx shafts cause i already have some of those

I could build it for $49 (tires and servo) because i have lots of shocks and motors and shafts but we'll see how it goes...now to make a chassis design in paint! *thinking to self...I wonder if i could make a stick for this thing...*

I was thinking about perhaps low profile servos because they are almost half the weight and they would give me room for an upper link mount behind them instead of on top like usual. But they are 90 oz/in compared to the 130 of the 645 and bluebird. hmmm. what do you guys think. is 90 enough?

Any suggestions appreciated! thanks!

P.S. I know i know. The bulu is great and I'm trying to beat it. I know all about the bulu so don't waste your time bashing me about it...I already know what you all will say.

Last edited by RCMFMaxxMan; 06-14-2005 at 11:45 PM.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
Im Brandon

Good luck topping the Bulu But go for it! Should be fun. You are missing a esc on that list. and if you are running 4ws you will need a super rooster for sure because its one of the few that puts enough power out to push two high torque servos. and that could add another $70 to your budget. Also if you want Moabs i think you will have to wait until they release the 2.2 version, i dont think they are out yet unless you know something i dont.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Good luck on getting a TLT running in tip top trim for $200. What you forget is buying shocks, then buying oils and springs to get the settings right. Then you forget about materials that are cut wrong/ not to your liking, more testing, etc...

Oh, and as for comp. chassis', there are actually quite a few.

There is the Bulu (2), Highmark has the new "Shorty" chassis, there's the custom crawlerz chassis, my TSC-10, and I believe there are two or three more in development.

But, I do encourage you to experiment and find what works for you. I myself have an idea that I think will top everyone's. But, I like to think that way.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
R.I.P. Chip

I just got 2 tlt's dropped off by the man in the brown truck. One is gonna be getting one of Aubies Bastard Chassis. Then I have an idea on another one that is unlike anything anyone has done before. It will have 0 torque twist at all, due to its design it'll be impossible for that to happen.

We'll see what happens.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing
Good luck topping the Bulu But go for it! Should be fun. You are missing a esc on that list. and if you are running 4ws you will need a super rooster for sure because its one of the few that puts enough power out to push two high torque servos. and that could add another $70 to your budget. Also if you want Moabs i think you will have to wait until they release the 2.2 version, i dont think they are out yet unless you know something i dont.
yeah i just thought of the 2.2 moabs so i think im gonna wait for them. I have an esc (rooster) but now that you mentioned it I don't think it will be able to handle the 2 servos. I think I'll just buy a truck off ebay with a super rooster and sell the truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
Good luck on getting a TLT running in tip top trim for $200. What you forget is buying shocks, then buying oils and springs to get the settings right. Then you forget about materials that are cut wrong/ not to your liking, more testing, etc...

Oh, and as for comp. chassis', there are actually quite a few.

There is the Bulu (2), Highmark has the new "Shorty" chassis, there's the custom crawlerz chassis, my TSC-10, and I believe there are two or three more in development.

But, I do encourage you to experiment and find what works for you. I myself have an idea that I think will top everyone's. But, I like to think that way.
I already have lots of materials and everything else that is not needed on the list. Thanks for the heads up though. Those other chassis...sure they are good but their CG is too high and GC to low. yeah yeah i know some people say they are perfect CG and GC wise but I think it could be improved. Also the chassis seem to have alot of unecessary material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
Then I have an idea on another one that is unlike anything anyone has done before. It will have 0 torque twist at all, due to its design it'll be impossible for that to happen.
haha. same here! I hope we don't have the same idea! that would be a bummer.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:27 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I just looked at the shorty. I hadn't seen it before (i thought i had). It looks kinda like what I am going for except aluminum instead of CF.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:37 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I have 4ws and I have a mtronics esc and it pushes both servos fine. And they are metal geared servos....
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:14 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie
I have 4ws and I have a mtronics esc and it pushes both servos fine. And they are metal geared servos....
super e truck? or which one?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:05 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Alright, can't wait to see your plan. I don't think you'll squeeze more than 4" of ground clearance with a 12" wheelbase. Remember, TLT axles don't have angled input pinion shafts like the other shafty trucks. And yes you can get a lower CG, but not with a pede tranny. So lets see what you roll out with.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:06 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Once you get the truck finished.... come to Oregon with it and keep up with the Bulu Crew

Hope it's better than say....... a Bulu3
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:27 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

You don't need more GC than my Bulu. I've got almost 3.5 inches. Only half an inch less than my TXT.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:47 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
Alright, can't wait to see your plan. I don't think you'll squeeze more than 4" of ground clearance with a 12" wheelbase. Remember, TLT axles don't have angled input pinion shafts like the other shafty trucks. And yes you can get a lower CG, but not with a pede tranny. So lets see what you roll out with.
hmmm. is it legal to modify the axles (...alot)? hehehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
Once you get the truck finished.... come to Oregon with it and keep up with the Bulu Crew

Hope it's better than say....... a Bulu3
i am in oregon. (i am rcb4maxxman from urc). Your kidding me. bulu3!?!? dang. I bet its gonna be steppin it up a bit huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
You don't need more GC than my Bulu. I've got almost 3.5 inches. Only half an inch less than my TXT.
the option for more gc never hurt nobody. Juts because I design a higher gc chassis doesn't mean it will be maxed out to full gc all the time. I would just like to have the option....I like maximum tuning options.

Last edited by RCMFMaxxMan; 06-10-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:13 PM   #13
RCC Addict

i have looked at alot of the other TLT's and noticed that not very many people run 4ws. What are your guys' input on 4ws? is it worth it or not?
Old 06-10-2005, 01:42 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Some comps, well most all comps ban it. I run it and it helps turinig to set up. Less backing up. When I had it on the third chan it helped me manuver some obsticals. But this is just me screwing around NO real gates psycialy set up.
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:43 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Its a must have for TLT axles. But most clubs don't allow it.
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:59 PM   #16
RCC Addict

alright thanks! I'll just make a servo mount for the rear and then just lock it out for comps.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:40 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Can't afford 4WS My ESC spazzes, and I don't have a powerful enough rear servo. Otherwise I'd be rocking the 4WS.

Bulu 3? I can't wait. I have a chassis in the works unlike anything out there. But I think cost will make it unmarketable.

As for axle modifying, I don't think anyone has rules against it. I always thought it'd be cool to attach a gearbox to the input shaft. Make it shaftless. Use 400 size motors geared way down.

It sounds like you want to chop and rotate the axle, like 4wheelers do, but I don't know how well that'll work.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:38 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomCrawler
Its a must have for TLT axles. But most clubs don't allow it.

What, 4WS? I don't see the need. A really well built TLT won't need 4WS.... it's all about driver skills and proper building.

In most 2.2 classes, Competition wise, 4WS is not allowed. The 2.2 class is about keeping it cheap-er so many newbies can get into the comp scene easier. The focus in the 2.2 classes(ORCRC wise) is driver talent/skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan
i am in oregon. (i am rcb4maxxman from urc). Your kidding me. bulu3!?!? dang. I bet its gonna be steppin it up a bit huh?
Where in Oregon are you? Have you been out to any of the ORCRC outtings/comps yet??

Bulu3? I heard something mentioned about it but have no idea, nor do I want to spread a full on panic attack from people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan
dang. I bet its gonna be steppin it up a bit huh?
We'll see.... lots of testing is needed to compare to the current Bulu1 & Bulu2 setup rigs running around.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 06:44 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

as to modifying the axles, how bout a gearbox on each output shaft, like the old VW buses used to have? more clearance and more reduction, that'd be slick as snot on a doorknob.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:47 PM   #20
RCC Addict

It just came today and i built the axles and modified the stock motor mount to fit on my pede tranny because this tranny case looks like a dog ate it (or i was being stupid and hacked it up while attempted a different project a long time ago). But anyways here it is! I'll be working on the steering tomorrow and suspension links and maybe the chassis. Also those links aren't gonna be mounted how they are now.