Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: first crawler for experienced RCer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2005, 05:41 PM   #1

Default first crawler for experienced RCer

im looking to move into crawling.. wanna go small scale
and im on a tight budget just bought a pro4 and some bits

the choice is pretty much a stock TLT-1 the first one

or a VMG + 200ish more put into it..

becasue im a aussie the TLT is super expensive casue of exchange rates while i can get a VMG very cheap

im leaning toward the VMG casue i dont have to deal with belt drive rubbish adn the work that it needs is no problem cause ive done way harder conversions but once modded (to teh full extent of the post in this forum gear reduction 2.2 rims 4ws strech EVERYTHING i can find to modd it) will it make a decent crawler?

any help will be appreciated
merc-blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2005, 11:28 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

The vmg is a great choice for crawling and you barly have to spend anything to get it to crawl good. There are some good places earlier in the forum that has a ton of stuff about the vmg. The main thing that your going to want to do is strech the wheelbase which is pretty easy. The only other things to do are move the servo to the axil, lock the diffs , finaly do a gear reduction. the gear reduction isnt nessisary but its alot more fun with super low gearing. The only things you have to buy are the materials for the links which are only like $20 U.S.
good luck

heres a link to my build up which cost alittle over $70 to build not including the VMG itself.

ultimate vmg

good luck
mrrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:44 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

There was a guy from australia that just posted in the newbie forum. Check around there for the thread, because in it is the website for the australian crawlers. They might be able to help you find deals on competition level crawlers. The venom can crawl some stuff, but I wonder how available the parts are out there, and they are limited to smaller obstacles.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:59 PM   #4

yeah we have a scale class.. the problem is im on a budget and really doubt being able to afford a real crawler becasue even a plain clod oiut there is super expensive..
Old 06-10-2005, 11:32 PM   #5

I think you should get the VMG. They are pretty cool and you can get a 380 size brushless motor to fit in those things. The only problem is that the 380's are stronger than many 540 sized motors and are used in 1/10 scale applications and can tear apart the drive train.
MechanoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 01:32 AM   #6

yeah i have a VMG on teh way... im gonna run a "special" high torque motor i sorced.. the VMG i got has a readucing gear that has been added in so should be crazy
Old 06-11-2005, 02:36 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

How about looking at local products?? Say stuff such as RCs from mainland asia? I know there are a mess of RCs from taiwan and china/HK That us US people have never seen. Basicly locate anything with a set of live axles. Buy whats local. As for cost. If the expensive stuffs easy to get parts for I would buy the more expensive item. Just so i have a source for repairs. nothing worse than buying heap then not being able to fix it when it breaks.
Just suggestions to others as well whom have a lack of access to "stuff"
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #8

obviously not a aussie.. its cheaper for me to buy oarts from overseas and get them shipped in than it is to buy parts localy.. i mean i have paid 16AUD for a set of corrally conectors.. or a set of TO onroad slicks is a good 80 bux
we pay out the *** for anything the VMG there are parts avalible online ate reasonable prices.. hell i could probably order a second VMG cheaper than i can get parts
Old 06-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

What Im referring to is all the samll bits. The stuff where youd end up paying more in vat and other shipping than the parts cost. I know plenty of people in AU and most say getting stuff from mainland asia is far cheaper than the US for stuff. Touring slicks and rims are about 60$USD at the LHS given 80 AUD = 60.9997 USD.

As well given that on say a tlt youll just need parts located in the axles since everything else is pretty much hardware store bits or machinest shoppes. Largest cost I think is 7$ USD Add VAT shipping and Customs on a single part you then see where Im coming from. Not to mention the what 4+ week delivery time.
Either way its just a suggestion for others to think about. (exp since you already made your order)
I used to run TC a lot. All too often I would see guys buy cars the LHS dont have parts for and then cry cause they are stuck waiting for parts. Some had to wait for months. Which here in Seattle can be the entire TC season!! So I guess what Im saying would you rather pay out the a$$ for parts and get to play or sit around waiting for parts and not getting to play?? Yes if a LHS is gouging you for say a 30$ for a part you can get online for 10$ sure ok thats acceptable but if its just a 30% upcharge thats well, normal all over! The TLT sells for over 180$ here locally but you see it for 80$ at ultamate hobbies shipped.
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote