Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: SlinkySam's first crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2005, 05:11 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default SlinkySam's first crawler

Well, I have been around RCC.com for a while and itchin to build one. I have seen some of the best crawlers that the Nor-Cal group put together and just couldn't resist diving in.

I wanted to build a scale Slinky, but pushed that off until I learned more with the TLT axles, tube creation and more. Here is my first project, which took a really long time to come to life. I only got to put in 10 minutes here and there, but eventually got something running. Last night was my first 4 wheel drive run and it was fun to see it come alive.

Here is what I run. Nothing special in any way compared to the crawlers out there now.
  • Chassis - 1/4" DOM tubing from McMaster-Carr brazed poorly together
  • Axles - TLT-1 locked via one of the spider gears
  • Suspension - 4 link mounted to top of axle (existing hole) and servo towers (drilled hole). This was to lower the highest point of the suspension links.
  • Motor/Trans - Bruiser 750 with stock 3 speed trans. I placed it in backwards so that I could engage/disengage the rear wheels for digging. I still need to hook up the servo for that.
  • Tire - 2.2 Claw Dawg tires
  • Other stuff too, but too lazy to go look at what it is

It isn't finished of course (they never are), but I couldn't resist plugging it all in and running. Things are zip tied and taped in place just for a fun run. It was awesome. I think I can keep the Slinky name going as I rolled more times in this rig in the first few minutes than I have all my 1:1 rolls combined. I have rookie fingers.

Despite it being heavier than most with the Bruiser tranny and motor, it still was decently stable. It bottoms out a little early, but it works fine. Also, for how flexible and soft it is, it really has no torque roll at all. Nada. I was shocked to see nothing.

However, here is a problem that I just found which maybe someone can decipher. It was running fine last night and today. Mid way through the day today, I started a climb and it stopped moving forward or back. Pushing the throttle, there was nothing. Not even a buzz. I figured I fried something or ran out of juice. That wasn't the case though because I gave it a little nudge and it worked again for a short distance. It appears as though there may be a stall spot on the motor. A particular point where it won't turn in either direction. A burn in the windings/brushes perhaps? Any thoughts on what to look for?

Anyway, here are some pics on the rocks during testing. Not much to look at, but it works finally.

-Sam

Last edited by SlinkySam; 06-12-2005 at 05:16 PM.
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #2

Good looking crawler!
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Agreed. Any plans for body panels or more tube?
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 06:17 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It might be brushes, If the motor is old and has been used you might want to replace the brushes. But if it is a new motor that shouldnt be the problem. If the motor is new make sure your brushes are not hung, just pull them out and let the spring snap the brushes back in the motor. Hope this help

And your truck is SWEET!!!
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Thanks for the kind responses. It is a WIP (work in progress) at the moment, so a few more touches are in order. I am testing cardboard cutouts of body panels (the final ones will be lexan) right now for the right look that I want. Here is one panel I was making.

I also need to make a hood for it also. It'll definitely clean up and look better with paint, skins, maybe spreader tubes on the front shield area and more.

Thanks for the motor suggestion. I will tear it apart to see if that is it and clean it in the process. Maybe while I have it apart, I can re-wind the motor for more torque. I saw a great article on it in the Electronics section.

-Sam
Old 06-12-2005, 06:29 PM   #6
RCC Addict

lookin good. i like the panel.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Bad *** man. I like it.
OldSchoolCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:52 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

cool if u eva need powder coating hit me up i bet it would look hott in the black tube and dark flake blue
crunk crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:21 PM   #9
RCC Addict

i have a pair of new complete TLT axles, and this inspires me to build a tube chassis.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:46 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Oooooookay......... I don't think I should have pulled the motor apart..... hahahaha :-P I tend to just jump into things blindly and this was one of them I bet. I don't think this motor was serviceable, but I serviced it.

I am in the middle of putting it back together. Unfortunately, to pull it apart, tabs had to be bent and I sort of "tweaked" the back endbell plate in the process. I cleaned it out, though it seemed ok, to me anyways. The brushes looked clean, but maybe had some damage. Not sure. I can't replace them anyway since they aren't removeable. Oh well. Back together it went.

It's sort of not going back together now due to the tweaks and bends. It seems to be binding a bit. Also, I have no way of clamping the back panel back on again, so the soldering iron is coming out . I will let you know how it goes, but I don't think it will work again. I guess I am in the market for a new motor... haha

The powder coating sounds good. Have any examples of what you have done before? Do you work at a powder coating place?

-Sam
Old 06-12-2005, 09:14 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

What connectors are you running off of your esc to battery?

If it is tamiya plugs then that may be the case. Look in it where the battery goes. The little metal things may be bent out of place, which will not hit hte battery = loss of power. Switch em out with Deans.
sean_lv_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:38 PM   #12
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

Nice little crawler you have there Sam.
Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:58 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Nice looking rig you got there.

Are those the EDC progressive piggy backs? If so, how are yours holding up? Mine leak like a (something bad). The company is pretty good to deal with (mine were missing some pieces and they sent out replacements for free), but those little o-rings are so weak. I am thinking of just taking the piggy backs off and mounting them to my hotbodies shocks instead.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:58 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Thanks again for the comments guys. It's embarrassing how long it took to get this far, but hey, its working.

Plays_with_Toys - I don't believe they are the EDC shocks based on how you described yours. The reservoirs are part of the main shock housing and not removeable. I was actually going to hook up hydraulic lines out the end of them and interlink the shocks to provide a forced articulation set up, but I didn't want to destroy them right away. I got them from RCKJeep a while back.

sean_lv_crawler - I swapped out all the stock connectors for Deans connectors. They are all solid soldered connections so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I tore the motor down and put it back together. No luck there in cleaning it up. However, in the meantime, I hit the switch so that the ESC would run off the servo battery pack instead of the motor battery pack. It all works again with the swap on the power source, but just not sure why it stopped working.

-Sam
Old 06-13-2005, 05:21 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up

Hey, thats a sweet crawler... looks great...
rcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:35 PM   #16
RCC Addict

nice looking crawler
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:46 PM   #17
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

the motor comm is probably dirty and needs a cut. does it look dirty, black, and glazed? that is a dead ringer for stalling that will end with a nudge.

thats a really slick crawler. makes me want to resurrect the old tlt axles too!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:14 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

we own the oven and the spray gun and madd powder yeah ill get pics up asap
crunk crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Guys the 750 out of a bruiser is basically a standerd closed can mabuchi (simmiler to what tamiya kits have) only mucho bigger. So there really isnt a way to cut the comm or change the brushes.

So your really kinda stuck-I would look for a new one on ebay (they're fairly cheap) or if that doesnt work you can buy a GSpeed 700 (non BB) which is a faster and more powerfull motor.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed700.htm
Found there for $28

Like I said though-resist the urge to get the ball bearing version as it doesn't fit the bruiser case!
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:10 PM   #20
RCC Addict

OK I am so hooked on RC Crawling it is disgusting. I just went through 2 more packs tonight since I got home. I need to fix it already due to abuse and use. I can see this is going to be an expensive hobby to maintain at this rate.

Thanks for the input guys. So as I stated and Highmark clearly clarified, these motors definitely aren't maintainable (well by my abilities). It was glazed quite possibly and did have some blackened areas. Then again, it looked like most used motors I have seen, so that may be it. It is working again though. Despite not supposed to being able to tear the motors apart, I got this one apart and back together again and have been running it ok. I did have to solder the end bell plate back on since the lock tabs were a little...um... mangled.

So back to the rocks and back to flipping I went. It's time to go in and tighten everything up again. I am starting to get slop on some of the drive interconnects.

Highmark - The 700 motor you pointed out, how comparable is it to the stock 750? One thing that I notice is that since I run the motor backwards in the chassis, it doesn't drive the same. I assume there is something with how the motor is built that it performs better in one direction than other. I will have to read more about how these motors are built.

Ok, enough chit chat, time to go take the battery off the charger I am ready to hook up with some others and do a trail ride.

-Sam