Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Stampede tranny idea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2005, 10:04 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Stampede tranny idea

So this thought occured to me tonight. Shafty's suffer from the fact the rear tires receive power all the time. Clods climb well because the rear motors stall out. Well, with a pede tranny, wouldn't running it unlocked with some stiff oil allow the front tires to receive more power on inclines, like a clod? Basically, run with a really really stiff oil so it acts like a limited slip. Anyone running this setup?

I JB welded my gears, so I can't exactly try this out unfortunately...
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
Im Brandon

I read somewhere of a guy using a type of putty/grease that would only unload under lots of stress, but he did this in his axles and said it worked very very well. Im sure the same method would work great on the pede diff. Im going to try and find it, wish me luck lol
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:35 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I agree, it would have to be thick grease. Oil would just leak out of the pede tranny diff.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:58 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I was thinking like some thick thick automotive grease.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:26 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
So this thought occured to me tonight. Shafty's suffer from the fact the rear tires receive power all the time. Clods climb well because the rear motors stall out. Well, with a pede tranny, wouldn't running it unlocked with some stiff oil allow the front tires to receive more power on inclines, like a clod? Basically, run with a really really stiff oil so it acts like a limited slip. Anyone running this setup?

I JB welded my gears, so I can't exactly try this out unfortunately...

I have never noticed my fronts slipping or turning differently than the rears. ????
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:50 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

When your goping up a hill the rear tires get more weight put on them so therefore they have more traction then the front. So why the hell would you wanan defeat that? I thought that was the plus of shafts? I had a clod and i hated when the rear stalled out cuz the fronts just slipped. I don't see your reasoning.
Rockinrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:11 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

PWT i like the idea, i will try it on my next tlt, in a few weeks. it should work if set up right, i will let you know.
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

rockinrockcrawler: i think what he is trying to do is give the front end more power on inclines in order to try to pull the truck up, instead of pushing it. When the back end has more power it can push to much and flip the truck backwards instead of up the incline. I could be wrong though......
pedesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:09 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

that what PWT was trying to say.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:49 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, thats exactly my thinking behind it, on really tall inclines, my back tires flip me over. I've tried to run the tread a different direction and try to make the back tires slip some, but its not enough.

The only problem though, is if you are trying to push up a wall, the front tires might just stall out and then the rear has to push since the front will have too much load. It'd be a give and take kind of thing.

I just thought I'd throw the idea out there, since there really hasn't been any new developments for the TLT.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:17 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Yeah the tlt is not a very good platfrom to do really wild things with. You can build it scale but thats about it. I remember when i use to crawl with my clod i always wanted the rears to have more though. It may flip the truck but thats why i want a shafty truck is to keep the power constant to both ends the rear stall gets on my nerves even if it would work better.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:42 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrockcrawler
Yeah the tlt is not a very good platfrom to do really wild things with.
I beg to differ. Check out toyo's TLT, or rckjeep's. Maybe see what PWT has done with his, or what highmark is considering with his new chassis. The TLT is quite a sexy little truck because it can be scale or pretty aggressive depending on the build.

PWT, I like your idea as well. Too bad there is no way to really seal the tranny. Some really heavy grease from a 1.1 might do the trick like you're saying. I'm putting a TLT tranny into my Hulkwerks right now. I'll give it a try.
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:40 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
Yeah, thats exactly my thinking behind it, on really tall inclines, my back tires flip me over. I've tried to run the tread a different direction and try to make the back tires slip some, but its not enough.

I just thought I'd throw the idea out there, since there really hasn't been any new developments for the TLT.

Try building new links Most of the serious ORCRC guys running TLT axles have the very forward thinking setup. Our TLT will go straight up things. Most of us run our Mashers in the forward direction, although a nifty way to cut them has been found to help the forward motion of the tread work better

Take for example my TLT rig.. My front lower links are 3.5" from eye to eye. While my rear lower links are a HC link setup that are 5.5" eye to eye. I have about 2.75" of flat belly clearance, from the back of the front tire, to front of the rear tire. A very flat underside.

Also most of us don't run Sub-C cells in our TLT's. There is just no reason too. Most run those tiny packs made for the Mini-T or AE 1/18 rig. Small packs that still maintain plenty of power and run time. Best part is that it cuts the battery weight more than in half. Less weight from a pack equals a more stable yet light weight rig.

Quote:
Yeah the tlt is not a very good platfrom to do really wild things with. You can build it scale but thats about it.
What planet are you from? TLT's by far are the most capable crawlers out there. Our TLT's put the smack down on the bigger trucks all the time... in our Comps the big trucks and 2.2 class run the same courses, the 2.2's do it better with more style and with faster times.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:00 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah the tlt is not a very good platfrom to do really wild things with. You can build it scale but thats about it. I remember when i use to crawl with my clod i always wanted the rears to have more though. It may flip the truck but thats why i want a shafty truck is to keep the power constant to both ends the rear stall gets on my nerves even if it would work better.

The TLT can't be radical. You ain't seen nothing. Just wait about a month. I guarantee my next TLT is going to be one of the most radical TLT's yet.

Toyo, you only run 2.75" of ground clearance??? I would think that'd make the truck get hung up on stuff pretty easily. I have already started to look into the small packs after you mentioned it the first time, with the low draw of lathe motors, these packs seem the way to go. What kind of mah do you guys run?

As far as sealing the gear, I would just see if there is an o-ring that'd fit or maybe some of that foam tape, or even just use some hot glue around the seem after you fill it. All three methods are reversible if my logic fails.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:41 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Myself and JB have been playing with set-up for a while. And suprisingly it works to a degree.

There are two things you might have problems with-one being unequal traction and the other is the diff unloading as either set of tires loose traction.

For instance, at Green River some of the rocks have sand at the bottom and others are wet but dry off torwards the top. So the diff may unload on either end causing the truck to either stop before it goes vertical or behave eratically when it does (but then again we're a little throtal happy ).

I think Idealistically a ball diff would be the better set-up over a typical gear diff IF you can get it to hold up during offroad use and not loose it's setting. But I've never tried that one .

Another thing that helps:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
Also most of us don't run Sub-C cells in our TLT's. There is just no reason too. Most run those tiny packs made for the Mini-T or AE 1/18 rig. Small packs that still maintain plenty of power and run time. Best part is that it cuts the battery weight more than in half. Less weight from a pack equals a more stable yet light weight rig.
And it allows you to put the battery in a much lower position aswell because of the smaller size.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:49 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
most of us don't run Sub-C cells in our TLT's. There is just no reason too. Most run those tiny packs made for the Mini-T or AE 1/18 rig. Small packs that still maintain plenty of power and run time. Best part is that it cuts the battery weight more than in half. Less weight from a pack equals a more stable yet light weight rig.
Are these packs the standard 7.2v, cause I always though they were less
moonbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:07 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I never said they didn't kick *** i just said they can't be truely diffrent. They will still have the basic center tranny in the chassis and the 4 linked or 3 linked axles.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:11 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

they are just like the txt, or solid axle maxx, just smaller,
Old 06-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

really? I seriously did not know that......i mean the total lack of tlt buildups with pics i really had no idea what one was like. (sorry couldn't resist)
Old 06-14-2005, 01:46 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I never said they didn't kick *** i just said they can't be truely diffrent. They will still have the basic center tranny in the chassis and the 4 linked or 3 linked axles.

They can take on many forms. I don't think people have realized the potential of this truck. I am still waiting for someone to turn it into a mini clod (gear reduction units that feed the pinion input directly), the bulu is a business only crawling chassis, very spartan, but effective, the shorty is a carbon fiber lovers dream and also a serious piece of equipment, the PRP is an all around kind of chassis (just like all weather tires, not super great at any one thing, but all around good), my TSC-10 chassis is pretty spartan with the exception of the battery holsters.

Toyo has mentioned something somewhere that might be exciting for some, but I won't let that one out, like I said, I've got a TLT in the works that will just be crazy, and I am debating putting it in the World Crawler Buildoff.

The clodbuster and TXT didn't get to where it was today because people kept copying, it took innovation. The TLT seems to have a formula right now. Stampede tranny + two metal plates = crawler. There's gotta be more out there, and the first step is trying new things.

Last edited by Plays_with_Toys; 06-14-2005 at 02:32 PM.