Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project budget TLT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2005, 05:24 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Project budget TLT

I started my TLT project the other night. I got the axles all built, and just got in my order from towerhobbies which included a Rustler which I was going to use the wheels, shocks, driveshafts, radio, and of course tranny out of. The crawler I am building is purely just for my amusement and fun, nothing for competition. I still want it to work well though and have some various ideas I want to experiment with. I plan to run a 60ish/40ish link set up. One other idea I had was shock placement for the rear. Since I am using the stock shocks from the Rustler, I was thinking of using the long ones on the front, mounting them to the axle, but using the short ones in the rear, and having them mount to the rear links (I was thinking of using 4-40 rod which would go thru the eyelet, and have tubing on either side to keep the shock in place). Any thoughts or suggestions on this idea? By the way, with parts I have had laying around - ESC, servo, blackfoot tires, I am looking at about $240 total for this =).
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2005, 10:41 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

i would use the short shocks on the front, just my thought, this sounds like a good idea, i hope it works out. post pics when you can.
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:21 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

My big goal is to shift the weight forward. I plan on messing around with stuff being backwards on front and rear - like tires, and even wheel offsets. Just want to try some different things and see. My logic with the large shocks up front and the smaller ones in the back is to get more arcticulation up front. I know when I have wheeled 1:1, better articulation up front - like a cherokee, provided better performance. It seems that if you can get the front wheels to go over an obstacle, they seem to drag the rear end a little better. We will see, and I will get pics when I am done - honeymoon is coming up in a week and a half, hopefully I will find time before that.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

If it helps any, I know that on k series blazers the front track is wider than the rear track. It cuts down on the turn-radius.
Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Yeah a lot of fullsize trucks are like that - I was planning to do the same.