Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My Minixilla crawler, Rokbug-ee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My Minizilla crawler, Rokbug-ee

Since this is the Small crawler section, I thought we need some Small crawlers posted from time to time, so heres my Minizilla I have converted into a crawler. I started by locking the front diff w/ JB Weld, then trying to soften up the shocks for max travel. I took it over to our crawling spot, and it did pretty good, but flipped over alot when going up steep inclines!

My friend has one too, and we were talking about how much better it would be if we could lengthen them. Well the next night we went back over to our spot, my friend had came up with a cool, simple way to lengthen them. We took two plastic pieces and undid the back axle housing from the side plates where it bolts up at the top and bottom.

Ok, you then bolt the top into the holes that the battery door had screwed into on the sideplates. That moves the axle back about 1". You need to move the bottom too, so what we did was make two links outta whatever you have around! He used two round body mounts, I used two Futaba servo horns!

I like the horns because they are strong, and have holes already in them, so you can dail in the length! Now the rear axle is back about 1" for penny's! The only thing you gotta do now is come up with a longer rear driveshaft. I just did my trick of cutting it in half, grind the sides a little to make the round shaft flat so it will grip the JB Weld better than just being round and possibly slipping after it dries!

I used original Weld, not the quick for maximun strength! Its as strong as stock now! The only thing you gotta do now is move the rear shocks to the rear of the body mount, instead of the front where its factory located! Unscrew the upper ball-link, and now screw it in the rear side of the body mount!

Now you are done, and its about 1"-`1 1/4" longer than stock for no money other than plastic stock and JB Weld!
Before I took my Rokbug-ee back over to our place, I knew it needed to be geared lower, so a 9 tooth pinion was installed and the difference the longer wheelbase and lower gear made was night and day! I can now go up and over rocks that before were impossible! We were going up obstacles that looked amazing! Heres some shots of my Crawler, and I'll get some over at our place this week!

Last edited by Plays_with_Toys; 06-19-2005 at 05:38 PM. Reason: changed URL tags to IMG tags
Airmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

hey thats prrrty nifty. i'm feeling inspired
OldSchoolCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

looks sweet, like the paint.
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper