Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: tlt buildup questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2005, 09:14 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default tlt buildup questions

i have searched but could not find the answers for this.

I just ordered my tlt kit from UltimateHobbies and i need to order the rest of the parts needed to make it into a crawler. I currently have all the electronics except the motor, and battery. I have complete pede trany setup minus extra U-joints, and i have extra slider parts to make them longer if needed.

i am going to order a lathe motor and probably a sanyo 1900 pack. everything will be wired with deans and wet noodle. I have a full set of masher 2000s and rpm talonz rims. I also have 4 aluminum maxx shocks. all that i really need are links that will work well. i also need to know if all the stuff that i already have will work.
the electronics are a futaba mc330 esc, traxxas 2channel radio and receiver, and a hitec 645 servo.

i want a wheel base that will work with maxx bods and still look good. The bod i will be getting is most likely a maxx bod, not a savage or other 1/8 scale bod, so it doesnt need to be super long. Maxx links are not in stock at tower hobbies, and i would like to get this thing done soon, so what links should i use???

thanks so much.
harris
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2005, 09:28 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

if i was you i would go with the traxxas TQ3 radio
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:38 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

at the moment i dont have money for a tq3, plus, unless i put a winch or rear steer on it, i have no use for a third channel. what i really need to know is what links i should use, and whether i should get different rod ends to go with them.

harris
Old 06-29-2005, 10:07 PM   #4
20K Club

This won;t anwser your question on the links, but you will want rear steer really bad once you lock the diffs. It is a must have on these little guys IMO.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706
you will want rear steer really bad once you lock the diffs. It is a must have on these little guys IMO.
i know that steering will suck, but i dont have enough money for another servo and a radio with three channels. I already had all of my electronics, otherwise i would have sprung for something with three channels. this car wont be so much of a rock crawler as a mudder/trail car. lots of hill climbs and clay/dirt and mud. so rear steer wont be quite so much of a problem.

Does anyone know of something that i should use for links???? or does everyone use maxx links?

thanks
harris
Old 06-29-2005, 10:36 PM   #6
20K Club

Sorry I didn't include this the first time, You can use revo pushrods or make you own but if you don't have the tools maybe the revo ones would work for ya. Check the thread "Brothers tlt" or something like that here in small scale he has the specs you need.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:12 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

get the red revo links, that would look cool

colin
Maxx4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:13 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

okay, sweet. and my wheelbase will still fit in bodies easily?
how is the durability of the aluminum ones? or should i just get the steel versions.

thanks
harris
Old 06-30-2005, 12:42 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I've heard of people bending alum links, but that was some seriously crawling, and it wasnt anything a big hammer and some elbow grease wouldnt fix. If you're really worried (or one day you think your rig might need to take a bullet for ya) you could make some out of steel ones, but they would be heavy and uncalled for. I would go with the revo pushrods, if your just using it for some offroadin, they should be fine. good luck with your rig.
pedesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:07 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

these are the links that i was talking about.

bottom links
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHFV7&P=7

top links
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHFV9&P=7

what do you guys think?
harris