Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: K2-5 Comp build/rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

went out with Sam today hit up some comp lines. The spot had a lot of transistions which were comp worthy and this rig works soo well. I really dig it. I may try and stuff the R2D in it for digs. But it's just a fun rig either way.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2008, 10:02 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

So did you end up changing anything on the rig that made it work better?
blue-beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-beard View Post
So did you end up changing anything on the rig that made it work better?
I did end up placing the battery tray under the chassis but had to change back due to the length of the stick pack. I'll change it to under again for comps and run a 7 cell 2/3A pack to reduce the weight. Other than that it hasn't changed. It works great as it is. Oh I did add whats left of a savage bumper to protect the frame. It does reduce approach angle from past 90* to 90*.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:50 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Seriously this is amazing that your doing so well with a scale chassis's. Love the vision and effort put into this rig.

Honestly I never thought it would be so versatile.

Well done!!!!

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Swapped out my Flat Irons from the RC4WD wheels to some RD400 wheels which I drilled out the holes to open up the design a bit. Then I wrapped the front in 1/4 oz weights. Headed off to the test spot this morning to try and climb the V-groove I've attempted in all my rigs. The K2-5 is the only rig to make it. I'm still trying to get Mugsy to the top, It'll happen. The Flat Iron's didn't quite make it. The narrowed Masher 2k's on Mugsy didn't make it either. The Rock claws are King. I'll swap them to Mugsy and try it again. I've got the line down pat. Just need a bit more traction.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Saturday night I got a little sick of working in the pile of blinds, crown molding, and misc. crap on the bench at the mother in laws. (some of which were my tools, but not much) So I got the ok to toss some stuff, had to check because she keeps just about everything. So I spent a few hours cleaning off a good portion of workspace. After that I pulled the new drill press I got with a gift card from the lady, thanks again by the way, and assembled it.
here's the after shot.

This rig has changed a bit. I swapped the built TLT axles from this rig to Mugsy. Then it left this rig stick-less. So I've managed to use the axial axles I built up onto this rig. Then I tried to use the MVP CVD driveshafts to mate everything together but unfortunately they don't clear the upper links. The steel skid is working well but due to it's thin 22g material is bending a bit. I'm thinking of making a new skid/tranny mount and run the R2D tranny and triangulate the lowers to the center of the skid since the axial link mounts seem to be narrower than the TLT. That will leave the AX trans for either the next buggy or the CJ leaf sprung scaler.

Here's a few pics from the last 2 nights work:

Here's the popular shot every newb posts up, I was jealous and wanted to join their club. JK!

I decided to change the front shocks out to a longer set just to try it. Only issue the rear shocks are still softer which kinda cancels out what I'm experimenting for.

here you can see how the bell of the CVD hits the link bolt. No bueno!

here's what it might look like with the Betty body mounted up

What do you guys think, post what you'd do with this rig/setup I'm looking to try some different things.

Last edited by rckjeep; 08-25-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:16 AM   #47
RCC Addict

lol nice handle on your vise :P How's that drill working for you? I have their band saw and really enjoying it. a couple things to complain about but overall a nice deal for $99. The rig is looking good. Is it still going to be a "comp" rig? I like the jeep body better. I never was a fan of the betty anyways though. What are you going to do about those upper links? I suppose you can only either move them up a bit or move them to the outside of the chassis. Either way you may have to make a new mount for the axle to make up for the change in geometry. what do you think?

P.S. good luck on the remodeling! We just got done here with ripping out the carpet and getting wood floors and getting cabinets restained and granite counter tops and new furniture and rugs. A big ordeal and lots of work (granted the majority of the work was hired). Still have some painting and a back splash to do. the sad part is with the economy the way it is, I don't think it added any value to the house

Last edited by RCMFMaxxMan; 08-25-2008 at 02:22 AM.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:01 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

The vise it's a pain, I need to make a new handle. Not sure what happened to it. It was like that when we moved in. The drill press is working great. Though I think it's funny that Ryobi couldn't find a way to supply the light bulb but did supply the batteries for the laser. I guess including the bulb would have killed their profit margin. Anyway, I tihnk I'll be getting rid of the AX10 trans, replacing it with an R2D using the stock skid and using the driveshafts on another rig.
Infact I got the R2D tranny mounted on the stock skid already, and made part of the dig servo mount.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Started working on my own comp chassis so I've put a hold on making too many changes.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:15 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

The new comp chassis is done so the K2-5 will be dismantled for the time being until some new axles come in then I'll do something with it. It's such a great chassis it's a shame not to use it.