Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Cali trip SF to Tahoe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2005, 12:59 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Talking Cali trip SF to Tahoe

It survived a day of torture that only 2 small children can produce, it even srvived thier driving skills too! (sorry no pics of the girls, aunt would skin me alive if I posted em) Some pics and maybe some viddies later. Im considering getting a CNC or manual mill so is there any intrest in Ti chassis? I would need time to clean up the prototype and mill out some testers. Either way enjoy the pics. Sadly I only had 2 days of crawling.

pic after the girls got finished abusing it. Just stripped out a link ( some superglue fixed this)

messing around near the fising spot

more

and some more small rocks

OOPS! small rocks suck they move
heading down to the spillway where some really huge outcroppings are (sorry forgot to snap pics of the area to give a feel for where the truck was. :?

Starting up the oh Id say 15foot outcropping. (this pic is the truck about the 3/4 point) Its hard snapping pics of it while Im climbing too (family was useless in getting DECENT pics)

Nearing the top

crested

Heading down

near the base of the rocks.

Lost the creek area pics and snow stuff. no real loss though the snow just made a serious mess of the truck that the creek cleaned off luckily ;p

Last edited by Madkoifish; 07-05-2005 at 01:05 AM.
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2005, 01:53 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Nice pics.I love the bug body sharp paint job.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:31 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Who makes that body?
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

very nice, I think parma makes the body.

Last edited by rckjeep; 07-05-2005 at 09:22 AM.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:47 AM   #5
bendforthebone

awesome pics! where in Tahoe was that? I went there and couldn't find a damn rock to crawl.
badtodabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:54 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I love that body! I was about to get the HPI bug but changed my mind at the last minute. You hang out at kyoshomonster.com to right?

Last edited by lunardaisy; 07-05-2005 at 12:04 PM.
lunardaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:52 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Dang, I musta started a trend with that bug body

Looks good, I have no idea why yours looks so much like a VW bug still, I had to trim mine to high heaven, and even then it still rubs.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:10 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

If you are in the Tahoe area and can't find rocks to crawl you must be legally blind in both eyes.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:20 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
If you are in the Tahoe area and can't find rocks to crawl you must be legally blind in both eyes.
And def, can't taste, can't smell, and can't feel either because when I am within 10 miles of the foothills of the Sierra's, I can already feel all my Granite senses going off.

Great ride. Wish you were up where I was this weekend. I too was up in the Sierras, but over by Bear Valley ski resort.

-Sam
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkoifish
Im considering getting a CNC or manual mill so is there any intrest in Ti chassis? I would need time to clean up the prototype and mill out some testers.
Aluminum is a much better choice to make a chassis out of. Its cheaper, lighter and strong enough to take a good beating.
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Ti why?? um cause a sheet enough to mill oh 8 chassis out of costs me um what?? 5$?? ;p
Alum of the same ammount would cost about eh 50 to 60$ As for weight I would have to argue, yes what Im using is a alloy I think (its a bit more resialant than pure ti) But it still weighs a bit less than a lump of alu of the same mass. Least for 6061.
Those pics are on the spillway of Caples. Over on the north end there are better rocks, well more of a variaty of types. Thing is so often areas near the road are covered in piles of broken up granite so its not "natural"
As for climbing in tahoe heh its everywhere. Hell I saw at least 8 or 9 full scale rigs up there (ie full on rigs not those drive it M-F kinda jeep things but suzukis with ford axles etc wacked jeeps and odd bodged tubers)

Sorry no I dont hang at kyoshomonster.com Just here and Jims RC Ages ago I frequented that thing RCCA had up and tamiya something or other. Just look for my nick 99% of the time its me.

The bug body IS a parma I kept the front fenders lobbed off part of the rears. I do get some rub up front but I didnt have the time or tools to trim it up there. Back stroy on the bug I used to run dhams bugster on my JrXT stadium truck back in the day. Heh kinda miss that truck. Either way I saw your neon orange body on that last viddy and went OMG noo lol
But hell, that happened to me with the neon green jeep. Sadly you cant see it but the bug has a perl red with redish flakes in it. ( the green jeep was flake yellow and green pearl/blue fastchange stuff)
Another bug body to look for is that E zilla thing its a bit weird in back but might proove to be useable for a tlt10 scale.
All this and well BUGS rule!! they often self right and dont flat land like a squared off body would so no harsh hits, usualy :-P

Anyhoo I am thinking of getting a reseller membership here and make chassis for people since there seems to be a demand for it. And well since I can get Ti really sickenly cheap well hell. Its diffrent. With the mill I can hog out a lot of the plates. And will. Thing is getting that 600~800 mill. If there is a demand for a chassis or other parts then Ill go for it. Im not new to machining I have been doing it on a junky drill press and a mill vise for some time. The idea is I would make these in batches and versions. IE as I go I will improve the design or maybe custom make stuff to peoples specifications. Ideas ran through about making servo top link brackets, electronics shelfs mounting brackets etc.

THe truck.
Ok I just spent a wad on a Hitec 5645mg SUPER over kill prolly. But hell 140oz was serious phallis wagging tourque #. lol That and the idea of the digital centering and digital position hold had me convinced this woluld perform better than the 645. I might be wrong but eh. We'll see once it stops raining here
I as well plan to lengthen those rear links. Tis I hope will give me some more room to pull over rocks The rear links often hung up on stuff.

Thanks for the complements on the truck!!
Oh yes if your in tahoe and need parts there is a smallish hobby shop on the south end ( Toy maniacs 2180 Lake Tahoe Blvd So. Lake Tahoe Ca (503)544-2695 www.wackysworld.com ) Mostly tmaxx stuff and not much serious stuff like pro servos etc but they do have parts (mostly traxxas) and other gear! You can never be without a hobby shoppe. Either way not a plug for the shoppe but just a FYI for those in need when in that area!
Old 07-05-2005, 09:30 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, my bug body has pearl on it, which makes the orange look wierd in the pics. Biohazard orange is my color. I've loved it since I realized being different was better than going with everyone else. Now everyone is trying to get in on the orange though. Eh.

You can do a for sale chassis, but be careful, its more work than you might think.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:58 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

lol yeah hehe it seems Orange and green are the new blacks now. Ill photo my old bugsy bod later. Poor thing is beat to death. I used to do this tiger thing on it but eh lol. Same goes for the mural stuff I used to do on bodies.

As for the selling of chassis I think the part Ill dislike most is shipping them. Usualy I cant stand all the waiting in line for stuff. Other than this (which btw isnt much of a issue now USPS is all automated) Finding the hdw part is the issue ACE here I keep cleaning them out of 4/40 hdw and washers XD Ill take it as it comes cause no matter what, heh I want that bloody mill XD