Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: looking for axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2005, 06:12 PM   #1

Default looking for axles (i mean shafts)

Hey everyone. i have jsut signed up to this forum but i have been reading post for a while now. I am in the process of designing a 1/24 scale crawler and i'm looking for an drive axle that goes between the main gearbox to the axles. It needs to be able to telescope between 28 mm and 23mm and fit on 2 or 3 mm axles. I could make it on my own but if there is an axle available it might be easier to just use that. thanks for the advice.

Last edited by vispucee; 07-13-2005 at 09:00 PM.
vispucee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vispucee
Hey everyone. i have jsut signed up to this forum but i have been reading post for a while now. I am in the process of designing a 1/24 scale crawler and i'm looking for an drive axle that goes between the main gearbox to the axles. It needs to be able to telescope between 28 mm and 23mm and fit on 2 or 3 mm axles. I could make it on my own but if there is an axle available it might be easier to just use that. thanks for the advice.
do you mean a drive shaft?
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:25 PM   #3

yes i do mean a drive shaft. any suggestions?
Old 07-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

it depends on what you want for a wheelbase. most use stampede shafts or maxx splined shafts for 12" wheelbse. you might be able to use Jato driveshafts, I dont knw what size outputs it mates to. 4mm or 5mm would be my guess.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:59 PM   #5

the wheelbase is about 113 mm or about 4.5 inches. I'm thinking the jato shafts are too big. does anyone know the dimensions of the mini t or similar mini truck axles perhaps?
Old 07-13-2005, 08:06 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I dont know off hand. Do you have a hobby shop close? Perhaps you can cruise in and check stuff out?
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:15 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

traxxas 4-tec sliders perhaps?
Frkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:35 PM   #8

the closet hobby shop is a hobby town and they are more intrestied in seling me stuff than helping me. They are more gamers than anything else so they don't know much. The closet good hobby shop is about 40 miles away so i'm kinda stuck in a position. I looked inot the 4-tec axles a while ago and they are on 4mm shaft and on the big side. It would be like putting a 1 inch pipe as a drive shaft on a larger scale shafty. Do anyone know the dimensions of the jato shafts? they look like they are close to the right size
Old 07-13-2005, 10:29 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Jato shafts are pretty long. I think your best bet would be two pieces of square tubing. Like bronze square tube. One could slide in the other. Then just fix some universal joints on the ends. I know there are some small universal joints out there for boats. Just check out towerhobbies selection.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:42 PM   #10

i looked around and found small u joints at hooby-lobby.com but i don't know if the jokes are going to be short enough so that the angle in my axle stay below 45 degrees. thanks though
Old 07-13-2005, 11:55 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Troll Towers part lists I think the heli and boat sections might have sliders in the right size they as well have the parts for the mini T and rc18 usualy measurments are given too. Though Im sure they ran bones though. At 1/24 it would be hard to heep it at that scale and use existing stuff. ( sadly many posting didnt see this 1/24 scale comment) Good luck and post progress pics would be cool to see a custon tiny scale rig not based on a venom.
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:29 AM   #12

so hopefully i will be able to start soon. i'm just waiting to get some money to get the last of the equipment i need.