Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: my tlt stage one!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default my tlt stage one!

Hi guys. this is my first crawler i have ever gotten so bear with me here.

It is a tlt with pede tranny, masher2ks, and rpm talonz wheels.
the motor is a multiplex permax with a trinity torque sleeve on it. I am using a hitec 625mg servo, futaba mc330cr reversing speedo, and a traxxas tq2 radio system. all of the electronics besides the motor came from my old traxxas rustler that got scrapped for this rig. the rusty also "donated" its tranny. i am using revo links up top and maxx links on the bottom. i am still using the stock plates, but i have found them to work fine and seeing as there are no comps within 4 hours of me, i have no need for uber low cg. the body mounts i made myself from flattened 1/4 inch copper tubing. sorry i dont have any off body shots as they didn't come out well and my friend forgot the cable for his camera. pics will be uploaded soon.

thanks
harris
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

cool. hurry up and get those pics

jk.
fuzzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:46 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

okay, lets see if this works. this is my first try at posting pics.
when it first began its life as a crawler it looked something like this.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

then i dug into the body graveyard and found this old thing.
[IMG][/IMG]

wow, that bod looks alot better!
Old 07-25-2005, 02:01 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

and here are the rest of his pics from my photobucket album.
here you go harris

colin
Maxx4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

by the next time i got my hands on a camera my car had changed a bit.
in this stage i was still experimenting with shock mounting positions, link positions and battery placement. laugh at my foolishness if you want.

with that new hummer body mounted. looks alot better than the little stocker.

not much flex but ohh well. by this point i had the battery mounted in the back. (stupid me) My reasoning was that it wasn't mounted on top of the servo so it would be lower in relation to the rest of the car. then i went out and tried to climb some rocks with it. AHHHHH it SUCKED! my car would flip over constantly. it was fine as long as the climb was smooth, but once my front tires encountered a bump in the face of the hill, over humpty dumpty would go. I had also ditched my front bumper and encased the steering links in aluminum rod for some more protection and better clearance. i left the rear bumper however because i needed it to lock out the rear steer and it was my main battery mounting spot. i had also made some copper skid plates on the axles and the center of the chassis so that everything was smooth and more durable.

While i was at my friends house i noticed how much flex there was in the steering setup. so i changed the mounting position of the upper steering link so that there wasn't that big tall post there. I also cut out a plate of aluminum to replace the plastic one that the servo bolts to. this all increased preformance alot!

i have allready done more mods to this awesome little rig, but i dont have a camera yet so i am going to wait on it.
to be continued

harris
harris
Old 07-25-2005, 02:10 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Darn you colin! why did you post those! i was writing a big post up and you had to go and spoil it! Damn! %@#$#^%$* <----(universal symbol for lots of swearing.)

ohh well.

harris

BTW colin my sis is coming home next week and i will be able to use her camera and i will be getting my new comp. im so exsited i could.........

Shat myself??
Old 07-25-2005, 04:07 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

are those body posts make from wood?? nice handi work, im getting one in a week or so...

Hey, whats your Wb?? Does that Tranny just bolt in, what did you do to fit it?
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

hey nova, the body posts themselves are out of a pack of stampede body posts, but the things that they are bolted to are flattened 1cm copper tube. I hammered it flat so it is about 3mm of solid copper and then drilled some holes and bent it. I will get you some pics soon of how i mounted the tranny, but it is pretty easy. all you need to do is drill 4 holes to mount it and shave the tranny a bunch with a dremel or hobby knife/file thingy. here is the thread that i looked at for mounting a pede tranny.
Well, my Stampede came in... (56K Warming)
wb is about 11.25 inches currently, but in these pics it was around 12. current center ground clearence is currently 3 3/4 inches and the diff clearance is 1 1/2 inches.
i have my links mounted alot differntly than i do in the picture. they are all mounted in the same hole, and i have about 75* to 80* of artic and no binding.
i will get some more pics of stage two (the current stage) in a week or so. all i can say is that it is way better.
Stage three will be when i get my new hex hubs, rims, and tires.

harris
Old 07-25-2005, 08:37 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Shat myself??
yea, i bet you did.

sorry about posting your pics, i forgot i told you the password to the photobucket album.

colin
Maxx4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:19 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris
Darn you colin! why did you post those! i was writing a big post up and you had to go and spoil it! Damn! %@#$#^%$* <----(universal symbol for lots of swearing.)

ohh well.

harris

BTW colin my sis is coming home next week and i will be able to use her camera and i will be getting my new comp. im so exsited i could.........

Shat myself??
Im more excited!!!
Getting a TLT Kit,
TQ2 and reciever, Traxxas Servo, Mashers on rims, longer links, 4 Maxx shock, 2 more TLT Kit plates, lathe motor, and Pede Tranny

Quote:
Shat Myself??
I hope it dont smell like S'mores...
Old 07-25-2005, 09:38 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i actually didn't shat myself, sorry for the dissapointment guys. Nova, why are you getting 2 extra chassis plates?

harris
Old 07-25-2005, 09:38 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
then i dug into the body graveyard and found this old thing.
Got ne more bodies ya want to get rid of?? maybe $5 for a really good one?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:39 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
i actually didn't shat myself, sorry for the dissapointment guys. Nova, why are you getting 2 extra chassis plates?

harris
I guess for extra's in case I screw it up