Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: "Doughnut Mobile".....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2005, 06:55 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default "Doughnut Mobile".....

I finally started my project TLT and made some progress on it.

I have had this TLT for about 6 months and couldnt really pin-point a design and plan on what i wanted to do untill now.I finally got a pede tranny for it off ebay so it was time that i did think off a plan that i could stick with,so i beleave i have a preety solid idea on what to do which should last.............untill i decide to change it .I hope to have it in driveible condition by this weekend.

Today i got the front servo and upper link mount done and the rear upper link mount setup for 2ws done.....

Heres some specs.

TLT axles *Locked*.
Custom chassis.
Pede tranny.
Lathe-or-MM motor.
M2k's tires.
HPI wheels.
Rooster ESC.
3 link F/R.
2WS.
hitech hi-torq standard size servo.

its got a strange name,but it will make sence when you see it done/or atleast the body finished.

Heres some pics of my progess.......LMK what you think so far

BTW those are temp steering links............
Attached Images

bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2005, 07:38 PM   #2

I really like the stance with the body that height.
boxedjuice87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

let me guess, its gonna be painted like a cop car? Looks great. Cant wait to see it done.
mrwonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:24 PM   #4
RCC Addict

it looks as of its goin to be more of a basher than a crawler. like one of those 1:1 cars that you jus take out in a feild and jus bash it.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:54 PM   #5

My guess is a Krispy Kreme delivery truck.
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwonderful
let me guess, its gonna be painted like a cop car? Looks great. Cant wait to see it done.
Thanks,as for cop car paint job..........nope

also its basically a multi purpose rig mudd,rocks,water just somthing solid that will hold up,the servo/electronics will be water proofed..........etc
Old 07-27-2005, 06:20 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Update**

I have got some progress done in the past few days.I got my "for now"LOL,chassis preety much done eccept for some mounts and a finish coat of paint,it will be a light blue.

I got the links done and setup,shocks mounted,some body mounts on and a few other misc' stuff.........

I also thought the 3 link setup would limit some of the articulation supposed to a 4link setup,im suprised on how much the 3link has..........

heres some pics of the chassis and some of the 3 link.......

LMK what you think?
Attached Images

Last edited by bigred; 07-27-2005 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:21 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Hey is ur front axle the one that is steers? because i thing ur tranny is in the wrong way!! when you put the motor with the endbell facing forward! Hey and another thing put ur links up on top of the steering knuckles!

Last edited by nd4spdbh; 07-27-2005 at 07:23 PM.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:56 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

that thing looks awesome. how wide is it with those rims on there?

thanks
harris
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:23 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh
Hey is ur front axle the one that is steers? because i thing ur tranny is in the wrong way!! when you put the motor with the endbell facing forward! Hey and another thing put ur links up on top of the steering knuckles!
Its facing right looks like the non steering axle is on the endbell side. The spur is the rear.
Either way looking good. I had thoughts of a longer higher chassis or bent links to eliminate that triangle effect under the trucks.
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:14 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

it is facing the wrong way oh well, he'll find out when he pulls the trigger & it goes backwards

Last edited by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE; 07-28-2005 at 07:17 PM.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:07 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE
it is facing the wrong way oh well, he'll find out when he pulls the trigger & it goes backwards
I feel ahhh.....dumb

i actually mounted up the axles the wrong way,i was in a hurry to get some pics of it..........

also im not a big fan of the chassis,reminds me too much of the stocker'.I've got a stock clod chassis lying around that im thinking of modifying,besides i'll have more mounts for tow hooks,what do you guys think should i keep the chassis i have made or mod the clod chassis?....or........................maby i'll win the TCS-10 in the raffle
Old 07-28-2005, 10:52 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

yeah duh they are right. Didnt look enough to relise you had a plate rear instead of mirrioring the upper link mounts >_>
I think you should keep the chassis just hack it some like those shock mounts they dont need to be so thick in height just angle the bottoms up to the shock. And drill some hole pattern in it or something lol. I dont remember what a stock clod looks like anymore ~_~ so I cant say anything about that >_<
Itching to build another tlt or omething, but I gotta deal with this fried in the box lrp ESC I have here. T_T
Old 08-08-2005, 06:54 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

OK,i gotten some progress so far, decided to ditch the first chassis i made for something a little more comp style.Im very pleased with the new chassis,im alittle worried about the chassis material,to me anything that has the word GLASS in it just doesnt seem like the greatest material to use for a crawler chassis but i have a template so i can whip up an aluminum one or maby ABS plastic.

Here are some specs on the new chassis.

chassis-GC.....2 5/8"

wheelbase......12 3/4"

it uses 4" shocks

layed down pede tranny

the top of the chassis only sits 1/4" higher than the tires.

3/link F/R

tell me what y'all think?
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2005, 07:21 PM   #15

is that plexi glass or real glass? either way :CRACK: Looks really good tho I wish I had mad skills like that to make crawlers
xtremecrawler504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:46 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I can't see no chassis Where is it?
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:50 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremecrawler504
is that plexi glass or real glass? either way :CRACK: Looks really good tho I wish I had mad skills like that to make crawlers

its made out of antique coffee table glass.........J/K,its made out of plexi glass,we'll see how it holds up.

BTW i dont know if you can call my skills mad' just lucky i have some tools that know what there doing

thanks
Old 08-09-2005, 11:12 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I highly suggest using some aluminum L bar from home depot/ loews to brace the top and bottom. Every Lex chassis I've made without it has twisted right in half under hard load or a fall. The L bar is easy to cut and use with a simple hacksaw and the strength is amazing. I've yet to break it when its attached to the lex base. Besides lexan looks sick when you can see into the middle of the chassis.

see:
http://www.rcpics.net/img/56649

Last edited by CrawlnSlow; 08-09-2005 at 11:14 PM.
CrawlnSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:06 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Id recomend you find some "real" Lexan vs the plexi. I used plexi to prototype my Ti chssis, it didnt last long. Any sharp corner allowed for stress fractures. Onec ethese got weak enough itll snap across a corner cut. It looks like your using 3mm plexi, if you can locate "lexan" then attempt to find say 5 or 6mm thick stock. Cut all corners with at least a 1/2" radius, Basicly use a 1/2" drill bit to make the corners then cut to them. It looks like you only have the one hole for that hinge bit on the bede, maybe not cutting holes in the chassis but cutting off those hinge dealies is a better idea??

CrawlnSlow has a point too lexan and plexi have a lot of flex. It looks like you have brced it pretty good. Definetly recomend you use some large washers at every screw hole to prevent stress fatiuge.

Now with all these "laydown" TLTs I have to rethink my rig >_> That or be bad and just build another tlt >_<
Old 08-10-2005, 06:25 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkoifish
Id recomend you find some "real" Lexan vs the plexi. I used plexi to prototype my Ti chssis, it didnt last long. Any sharp corner allowed for stress fractures. Onec ethese got weak enough itll snap across a corner cut. It looks like your using 3mm plexi, if you can locate "lexan" then attempt to find say 5 or 6mm thick stock. Cut all corners with at least a 1/2" radius, Basicly use a 1/2" drill bit to make the corners then cut to them. It looks like you only have the one hole for that hinge bit on the bede, maybe not cutting holes in the chassis but cutting off those hinge dealies is a better idea??

CrawlnSlow has a point too lexan and plexi have a lot of flex. It looks like you have brced it pretty good. Definetly recomend you use some large washers at every screw hole to prevent stress fatiuge.

Now with all these "laydown" TLTs I have to rethink my rig >_> That or be bad and just build another tlt >_<
thanks for the tips,i have already started on my aluminum version of this chassis so i dont have to bother with all this bracing and also have to worrie about crackin' my chassis in half out on the rock.

Also i like the look of the see-through-ness' of the chassis so i plan on cutting some windows type areas which will be plexi in the new chassis.

not sure what you mean by the "hinge dealies" on the pede tranny,my guess is that side mount on the tranny.I did that as a realease cut on the chassis so all the preasure on that side of the chassis isnt rapped around that ,which could cuase it to crack there on a hard hit...........if that makes any sence?

Last edited by bigred; 08-10-2005 at 06:28 PM.